main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I Hate Boston Sports (And So Can You!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I prefer parody

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I prefer parody

*prepares long report on how the Red Sox are a parody of the Yankees*

You can laugh at them now :p

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Actually the Bruins are 2nd in their division, their not world beaters but they don't suck

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, I hate the Pistons, too, but right now Detroit is not (as much) hated by me, at least compared to Boston. So tonight, I tip my cap to them for knocking off the Celtics.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    When I was i high school I loved Doug Flutie, and almost went to school there. Glad I went to ND instead. But it's ridiculous how we can#t beat them anymore, when we used to destroy them every year.

6. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    I hate the Patriots

I've always been a Niners fan, even if they suck nowadays. On the other hand, my brother in law is a Patriots fan. But one of these fans that cheer for the winning teams. In the 90's, he was a Cowboys fan. Suddenly, in 2001, he became a Patriot fan. His lame excuse was that he went to work for a couple of weeks in New England. Ever since, he's been bragging about that and gets angry when I tell him that he will switch when the Pats will fade.

The Patriots are cheaters, period. Belischik was a mediocre coach before 2001. Suddenly, with their 3rd QB, they become a powerhouse. How can that be possible? The NFL covered everything about those videos and allegations that Brady was on steroids have never been cleared.

On the other hand, I don't hate the Bruins since they lost so many series to the Habs.

7. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I can't hate the Bruins because of Cam Neely. :p

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Not the way $teinbrenner's Yankees do. You can throw money at people but that doesn't nessecarily mean they will dominate all the time. Their mindsets need to be in the right place.

Boston is a perfect example of the fact that you can't just throw together a team of expensive players and expect them to win all the time, you need a good manager who can unite the team. Boston has the benefit of having the smartest manager in Baseball in Francona. Manny Ramierz has been called a difficult player and Francona has gotten him to be a team player for the most part. Dustin Pedoria would be in Triple A Pawtucket hadn't Francona believed in him and calmed his emotions. The Red Sox are a true champion caliber team.

The Yankee$ wouldn't have made the playoffs this year hadn't Torre stepped in and united the team and reminded them that they can't win the AL East by default.

As for the Pats the excuse that Brady is the only reason they do well is unfounded. A Quarterback is only as good as his offense.

This thread is nothing more than childish jealousy. It's immature to think that if any of our local teams were the best in every sport we wouldn't be pretty high on ourselves too.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    You're right. I'm sure the Patriots would be undefeated if Trent Dilfer had started all 14 games for them... :rolleyes:

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Just because you'd do him, doesn't mean you'd do the whole team.

Wait, that came out wrong.

I meant if you can't be with an athlete, it's cool to be an athletic supporter.

****! That didn't come out right, either. :(

Oh well......

Mike Modano [face_love]

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Of course they wouldn't. But Brady is backed up by a terrific offense which highlights his skills as a QB.

So :rolleyes: :p

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm very pleased for Boston, and it would take at least a solid decade of winning like they have been for me to develop any real animosity toward them. It's a magical city when it comes to sports, with a ton of great moments to its collective credit. So, not only do I not hate them, I rather like them, and envy the city's long tradition. The Suns are the closest we get to that here (college and high school excepted).

The Patriots are cheaters, period. Belischik was a mediocre coach before 2001. Suddenly, with their 3rd QB, they become a powerhouse. How can that be possible? The NFL covered everything about those videos and allegations that Brady was on steroids have never been cleared.

That's total garbage. Brady is not a big man, and he's actually rather average sized for a quarterback. Matt Leinart is much taller, and Big Ben dwarfs him. Where he overpowers opponents is with his head and heart. He's an unbelievably smart and ruthless athlete, and he carves teams up by using what he's learned and already has, not with any kind of steroid or other kind of cheating. The Patriots did nothing that other teams have not routinely done (the Jets did the same thing last season and no one said a word), and if you think any coaching staff worth having is going to have signals that are stealable and repeated from week to week, and especially in the postseason, you're crazy.

The Patriots also have a top-notch front office. The Red Sox do too. You better believe there's a common link there. Where were both teams when they had dysfunctional coaching staffs and front offices? That's right, they were in the basement, or close to it.

13. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    Consider me a partial Boston sports hater.

BOO Celtics!

Go Lakers!

Been down like that since the 1980s. ;)

BOO Patriots!

Go Chargers!

Been down like that since certain Pats decided to do the "Lights Out" dance on our home field. :mad:

14. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I have a question...why, after any of their teams win, do Bostonians riot in the streets? :confused:

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    So far as I know, they don't, except after the 2004 ALCS win. That's a question I would expect to see asked of Detroit.

16. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    [image=http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7498/billua1.jpg]

17. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Belicheck prior to 2001 was one of the best defensive coordinators of all time. In fact, Parcells success as a head coach has a direct coorelation to Bill Belicheck. Parcells won two Superbowls with the Giants with Belicheck as defensive coordinator who developed one of the NFL's top defenses. Parcells later went to New England, without Belicheck at first, and New England went from a bad football team to an average one. Belicheck gets fired by the Browns and rejoins Parcells in New England for one year and New England makes the Superbowl that year. Parcells goes on to coach the Jets, with Belicheck as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. The Jets went from a horrendous football team to being five minutes away from making the 1999 Superbowl by almost pulling up the upset over the defending Superbowl champs and one of the best football team of all times the 98-99 Broncos. Finally, Parcells goes on to the Cowboys without Belicheck. Parcells had success with the Cowboys in the fact that he rebuilt the team, but his records were average and the Cowboys never won a playoff game. In fact, Parcells has never won a playoff game without Belicheck as an assistant.

18. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I want to say they did after one of the Super Bowls, too...I could be wrong, but I remember hearing about cars being smashed and arrests being made. *shrugs*

In any case, in any team, it strikes me as odd.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think that happened, but if it did, it certainly was nothing compared to the well known celebrations in Detroit, particularly in 1984.

20. Darth_Brutus666

Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2006
    if you hate boston sports...don't watch the Patiots game at the moment.

21. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Put me on as a full member also please.
    I HATE BOSTON!
    I'm a diehard Suns, Giants, Yankees, Duke fan.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And now we hope for the greatest Post-Season meltdown in history (at least that's how it will play out in the media). A perfect regular season followed by a loss in the post season. I would love nothing better this January/February. Come on, upset!

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Why does a loss necessarily have to be a meltdown?

They could just as easily lose in a game for the ages with the Colts or some other team.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    As I said, it will be a great meltdown as reported by the media. In light of a perfect regular season, anything short of a Super Bowl title is a catastrophic failure. Even if it happens in a game for the ages, it will still be a meltdown/choke/disappointment. No way around it.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Sure there's a way around it. You speak as if the media is a single monolithic entity, with everything being written by one person. That's just not so. You'll have the media from New England, from the area that beats them, from ESPN, CNNSI, Fox, Sporting News, etc. etc., and these are all staffed by real people, some of whom are legends or on their way to being one.

If they have a 30 point lead and then lose a game in the same way Houston did in 1993, it would rightfully be called a meltdown. But just for losing? I strongly disagree, and I think you do a disservice to teams like the Colts and to the intelligence of sportswriters in general. There are some great, great writers out there. The Colts are also capable of beating them without it being called anything more than a mild upset. They're the defending champions, and they possess the only quarterback capable of outplaying Brady throughout an entire game.

You think Paul Zimmerman, Peter King, Bob Ryan, etc. etc. would call a loss in a classic game a meltdown? I really don't think so.