main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I Hate Boston Sports (And So Can You!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    At least the Bills won some AFL championships :p

2. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think AZ needs another 7-10 years w/o a championship to include them on the "long suffering" list of Philly, Cleveland and Buffalo. Seven years w/o a championship is not a long enough period, especially given how great of a championship victory the D-Backs had in 2001. They ended the Yankee late 90's dynasty (4 WS championships in 5 years) in that World Series. They also won in dramatic fashion, beating the at the time automatic Rivera in the 9th to win the game. Such an unbelievable victory. That should sustain AZ fans for some time, IMHO.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I agree.
    Stop whining AJ.

Let's put Arizona sports into perspective minus the Suns.

The Cardinals have been there for 19 seasons.
    The Coyotes have been there for 11 seasons.
    The Diamondbacks have been there for 9 seasons.
    That's a total of 39 season collectively in which you won a dramatic World Series over the Yankees.

The Indians have not won a World Series in 59 seasons.
    The Browns have not won a Championship/Super Bowl in 44 seasons.

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, Arizona hasn't had it that bad. There are much more suffering sports markets. The Browns look like they're getting respectable again though. There have also been long suffering individual teams (like my Buccos or the Cubs), but cities have won championships recently.

And, I like New_York_Jedi's version of a bad year.[face_devil]

5. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Woooo hooooo!!!! My mom and I went absolutely crazy last night. I am so thrilled that they lost. It's hard to put into words how happy I am about that. [face_dancing]

Go Giants!!!!!!!! :p

6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    uh... Phoenix Suns?

Suns have been in the NBA for 40 years now. So bump that to one championship in 79 total seasons for Phoenix pro sports.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey AJ? Try being from Kansas City. The Chiefs haven't even been in a Super Bowl since 1969. And sure the Royals won the World Series in 1985, but it's their only title ever and they've been completely abysmal ever since.

Not to mention we don't even have Hockey or NBA teams anymore because they just get taken away entirely to other cities.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    *Is a Saints fan*

[face_plain]

If you want to talk about championships...

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you want to talk about heartbreak, try being a Suns fan. The Diamondbacks' win in 2001 somewhat salved past losses, but the most wanted championship here has long been an NBA title. I can go into extreme detail about specific heartbreaks suffered by Suns fans. One national columnist for Yahoo wrote about it a couple years ago, and that was before the most recent Suns heartbreaks.

You can throw in the 1997 Rose Bowl too.

1968: lost coin flip
    1970: Lost 3 games to 1 lead over Wilt's Lakers
    1976: Lost Game 5 of NBA finals under highly controversial circumstances that are mostly forgotten (referee looked right past Paul Silas trying to call a timeout Boston didn't have with time running out in regulation)
    1979: Lost heartbreaking Games 6 and 7 to the Sonics, denying them the Western Conference title, and in all probability, the NBA title (the Bullets had injury problems)
    1981: Lost to the Kings in the first round 3-2 after winning 57 games during the season.
    1990: Lost WCF 4-2 to Blazers, crushing Portland in two wins, but losing by about four points combined in three of the four losses (and not much more in the other).
    1993: Paxson
    1994: Rockets
    1995: Mario Elie
    2005: Joe Johnson fractures orbital bone in WC semifinal, gone for the rest of series and didn't return until too late against Spurs, who he did well against in two games
    2065: All kinds of injury problems (Stoudemire, Bell, etc.), but they made it to the WCF, where they lost to Dallas in six.
    2007: Robert Horry.

All I really want is a Suns championship. And it's been denied time and again, often in heartbreaking fashion. The Suns were the only pro game in town here until 1988, and along with Arizona State, the only game in town before that of any kind, other than high school sports.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    The Cardinals were one of the original NFL franchises. That's going all the way back to 1920. They've played 7 total playoff games in that span and are 2-5 in those games.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But they've only been in Arizona since 1988. So you can hardly make the point about Arizona in relation to them. Plus, given their eternal record, I'm not sure why anyone would ever have hope for them :p

To me, it's been worse to have disappointments when there was hope. Let's not forget, the Chiefs were the flagship AFL team back when Lamar Hunt began the Superbowl.

Josh, I can't argue with you about the Suns. For one because I know almost nothing about NBA history, but also because I know you personally have good reasons to be heartbroken about those.

...I love that in rebelling against the Boston dynasties, we're also arguing over whose town has the worst teams ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I wasn't really talking about Arizona with the Cardinals... just bringing them up as the absolute worst sports franchise of all time. :p

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, well that makes sense :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As much as there seems to be "legit" gripes about the woes of Arizona sports fans, why does it seem to me that there will always be an excuse in the Steve Nash era Suns if they don't win it all? :p

EDIT: For example, when the Lakers lost the '04 Finals, despite all that went on during that season, do the Lakers/or their fans blame them? No. Detroit gets the credit because they cleaned their clock in that series. Same with the '03 Western Conference Semi's (Horry misses a potential game winning 3 (during game 5), but the Lakers lose anyway at home, in game 6), and with the recent Dodger postseason woes (both in the NLDS, in '04 & '06).

15. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    I have a weird relationship with Boston sports: I love the Red Sox, I'm neutral towards the Celtics, I frequently forget that the Bruins exist, I root for BC, and I despise the Patriots. All of those feelings are completely and utterly natural, believe it or not.

Baseball is far and away my favorite sport, and because I was living there at the time, I fell in love with the BoSox as a little guy. I disliked basketball during the crucial childhood years, so although it's grown on me, I can't put my heart into liking the Celtics. Although I enjoy hockey, I haven't followed it since the lockout, and the whole obscure TV channel bit certainly hasn't helped. I support BC because I'm both a Catholic and a Bostonian. I hate the Patriots because my father, a Northern Californian, grew up a passionate Raiders fan and the Raiders got screwed over by that blasted sham of a tuck rule. (That still gives me fits. Let's move on.)

Just a ramble, but it is rather absurd, isn't it.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Congratulations to Juliet for perhaps the most absolutely, completely and utterly WRONG post in the history of the JCC.

Giants' staggering win over Patriots watched by record 97.5 million

17. TomPryce

TomPryce Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2008
    I think Philly has had it the worst. Sure, all of the teams have made it to their championships in the last 20 years, but if I remember right, the 76ers were pounded in 5 by the Lakers in 2000, the Phillies got beat in 6 games by the Blue Jays, and the Flyers were shut out against the Red Wings in 1997. In addition, the Eagles lost three strait NFC championship games before the won the fourth.

The Phillies won just one world series in 125 years; they also lost their 10,000th career game in 2007.

The Eagles have not won a Superbowl. They did win 3 NFL titles in its 75 years in existence with their last coming in 1960.

The Flyers have won two titles in their 40 years of existence, but they have not won a Stanley cup since 1975.

The 76ers franchise has existed since 1939, and they moved to Philadelphia in the early 60's. They won 3 titles in their existence; they won only two since moving to Philadelphia with the last coming in 1983.

[Edits]
    The only successful sports team in Philadelphia history was the Philadelphia Athletics, which moved to Kansas City in 1955 after winning 5 World Series titles. The A's would then move to Oakland in 1968 and win 4 titles since then.

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Psh, try being a Lakers fan, guys. I mean, really. They haven't won a championship for like, what, five years? Geeeeez.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It's too damn of a long wait.:_|:p

20. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Philadelphia actually has the longest title drought of all cities with professional teams in all of the 4 major sports: football, baseball, basketball and hockey.

21. Darth_Ruan

Darth_Ruan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2007
    I feel that pain too.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Canucks have *never* won at all. (38 years and counting)

23. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Zaz is allowed out of The Amphitheatre?

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, an ethical question for us Boston Haters.

It is ok to laugh/smile/take some joy out of the current Curt Schilling situation?

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Eh, I'm laughing at the situation and if I had to pick a team in the AL to pull for it would probably be the Red Sox. (Don't worry, Inty, #2 would probably be the Indians). So yeah, its ok to laugh.