I HATE music videos

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darthkarma, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma Jedi Padawan

star 4

Like everyone else on this site, I love movies. I'll sit through just about anything and try to find something good in it, and if there's absolutely nothing good in it, I'll try to enjoy and laugh at how lame it is. We're all human, some films just don't work even though everyone tried really hard.

Which brings me to the subject of music videos. I can barely stand to watch them.
    The reasons are legion. I realize they are primarily made as a promotional tool for songs and music acts, but my God some of them are so bad it is mindboggling.

I love it when singers try to "act." It's hilarious, you can tell they don't know what they're doing and the director, oftentimes a neophyte working for peanuts, has no Earthly idea how to give the performer help or direction. There should be a law that singers may only SING in music videos, NOT act!

The editing in most of these things is usually beyond atrocious. It's editing for editing's sake and of course that means the goal is style over substance, which of course is what MTV is all about, LOL.

I have seen many videos where the editing was so sloppy, fast and made so little sense that it could have been done by a blindfolded chimpanzee randomly playing with an Avid editing machine.

Can you tell I don't like music videos?

That's not entirely true. I would say I actually like about 5% of them. But most of them truly SUCK.

Comments?
  2. JediMaster22 Jedi Knight

star 8
    Do you agree Michael Jackson's videos (Thriller) was the best of all time??
  3. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I like some music videos, but I don't watch MTV too much anymore because they play mostly rap crap music. Which I despise to the point of wanting to vape every rap artist. Sooo...I dunno. Late night MTV is actually pretty good. They play all rock, mostly. With little (c)rap.
  4. cydonia Jedi Knight

star 5
    Depends on the video. I like more underground bands, their videos (which are not to be found on mtv, maybe m2) are often very creative and tell a good story, but the good stuff is always underground. The crap is what you see when you turn your television on. Still, it's crap done with polish and love.
  5. Crimson Jedi Master

star 4
    Take away glamour rap and pop and music videos are quite fine.
  6. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  7. Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'll put up with most music videos, unless:

1. The band/singers "act." I could put up with Limp Bizkit's videos (not the music, but the images), if they didn't insert random dialogue here and there.

2. The video is technology-themed. "Fly Away From Here," "Larger than Life," "Oops I Did it Again," etc. are guilty of this. Just because we're in the first few years of the 21st century does not mean you have to insert futuristic/hi-tech elements in every bloody video.

3. It features poor, obvious CGI. Jessica Simpson's "Irresistible" and "A Little Bit" are the worst offenders, with Anastacia's "Paid My Dues" a close second. Either spend the cash and get quality effects or do a different kind of video.
  8. Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight

star 7
    At home, I have digital cable with lots of different MTV stations. MTV-X and M2 are the best. :D :D

But still, I know what you mean. Most videos make absolutely no sense. Take "In the End" by Linkin' park. What does them singing on the top of a giant buddha-like statue in the rain have anything to do with the song? I guess it makes them look "kool." *Eye-roll* Ever notice how a lot of utilize the "fish-eye" lens too? That gets annoying after a while. Granted, the videos don't necessarily have to directly correlate to the song, but they could at least be creative. (i.e. NIN and Tool, albeit in a twisted sense of the word. ;) ) Oh well.
  9. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hmm...what about that STP video for sour girl? Creepay! :eek:
  10. BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight

star 5
    MTVX is excellent. All heavy metal and rock, with no commercials, Vj's or stupid shows.
  11. Mike_Mothma Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think that music videos were done better in the 1980's (I'm serious!) Michael Jackson's videos were usually good (until his car destroying days of the early 1990's) and so were Madonna's videos. Not to mention Huey Lewis and the News, Duran Duran, and the ever popular classic "Take On Me" by Aha. Some other honorable mentions are "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel and "Call Me Al" by Paul Simon (and Chevy Chase!) Back then, music videos were a brand new art form, with plenty of potential. Now they all seem to look the same (all style, no substance).

BTW: VH-1 is far better than MTV these days (or maybe I'm just older?) They actually SHOW videos of songs that are on the top 20! None of that boy band or rap crap.
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    The best video I've seen in the last 10 years is the new one by Basement Jaxx - "Where's Your Head At".

Jaw-droppingly bizarre!

13. Endermunkee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Basement-Jaxx's "Romeo" video is my favorite of all time.

It parodies the whole Hindi film culture. Excellent.

I do like "Where's Your Head At", though. The monkeys are my kind of monkeys.

14. JediMaster22 Jedi Knight

star 8
    EnderMunkee, I like that song "Romeo" A lot!
  15. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    The way I see it, there are two types of acting clips. There's the serious types (U2 or some of Guns N Roses) and there's the comedy types (Foo Fighters).

I think some people are taking the acting clips a bit too seriously. Limp Bizkit or the Foo Fighters are just taking the piss out of themselves whenever they step out there. And they do it very well.

There are just some bands that try way too hard. Too many "walking down the street" clips these days. But there are a lot of well done serious clips out there. Metallica gets a lot of good direction for both their "Unforgiven" clips and I really liked the adaption of Boush for "Until it Sleeps."

The clips I have a real problem with are the "group of dancers in unison" clips, or the "obligatory poolside sing along on an incredibly bright day."

To each their own though.

16. DerthNader Jedi Knight

star 5
    Personally, I miss the 80's videos. Some of them were not great in terms of technical value, but you couldn't beat half of them for originality. And, some of the videos were truly beautiful. ("Avalon" by Roxy Music has to be the most beautiful video I have ever seen, followed by the video for "Overkill" by Men at Work).

Methinks these kids nowadays are deprived of something elemental in music videos. Ah, for the old days...
  17. Fire_Ice_Death Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Oh and the obligatory breast shot too! Well that's only in (c)rap videos. I dunno....I have alot of prejudices against music with anything that's stupid. Which usually involves rap and teeny pop groups, NOT bands, to be a band they would actually have to play AND write their own music.
  18. Endermunkee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sigur Rós has a breathtaking video, too. I forget the name of the song, but the cinematography is beautiful, and the video itself is so poignant.
  19. Darthkarma Jedi Padawan

star 4

WOW! I had no idea I'd get so many responses so fast.

Yes, I like a few of Madonna's and Michael Jackson's videos. They both seem to have the knack of hiring intelligent directors. I also like some of REM's videos even though they get a little pretentious.

I prefer videos make sense but occasionally something that's just really out there, and unusual appeals to me, like NIN.

20. Crimson Jedi Master

star 4
    "Short Skirt and a Long Jacket" by Cake is the best video ever.
  21. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    "one" by Metallica is my pick for best ever.
  22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    "Short Skirt and a Long Jacket" by Cake is the best video ever.

Yeah, that's sweet. I've seen 4 versions of it. A US West Coast, US East Coast, Mexican & Canadian.

You can see the original video [link=http://www.videoclic.com/multimedia/99632862650052.shtml]here[/link].

23. Double_Sting Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Freak on a Leash" by Korn is an awesome video. They had bullet time in it and this was like 5 years before the Matrix.

"Sober" by Tool gets my vote as most disturbing/weirdest video of all time. That is one strange video, especially the part with the stuff moving through the pipe.
  24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Anybody see the music video to Robbie Williams Rock D.J.? The end of that video had nothing to do with the song, at all, and was friggen' creepy. He rips off his skin for god's sake. What the hell was he thinking?
  25. Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I don't like MTVish videos where the band members all jump around in front of the camera.I like the more abstract ones.Here's a list of some of the videos I really enjoyed.

Schism - Tool
    Ava Adore - Smashing Pumpkins
    1979- Smashing Pumpkins
    A$$hole - Denis Leary
    Dear Mama - 2pac (although I hate rap I liked this video)

The only MTVish videos I like are the ones from the early 80's and in those its mostly a story being acted out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.