I HATE music videos

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Darthkarma, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Double_Sting, if you think "Sober" is disturbing, you should see some of the videos Tool did that weren't shown on MTV *cough*Prison Sex*cough* (and no, it's not what you would think with the song name [face_plain] . lol. It's another stop-motion type of video.) NIN has some pretty disturbing ones as well. The full, un-edited version of closer is f***ed up, but "Happiness in Slavery" is well... there are no words. lol. ;)
  2. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

"Prison Sex"??? Ugh.

Not a very appealing concept.

I didn't even like HEARING about
    that video, letting alone seeing it! lol
  3. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
    "MTVX is excellent. All heavy metal and rock, with no commercials, Vj's or stupid shows."

*jaw drops* !!! I wish I knew what channel that was on if I even get it...

"BTW: VH-1 is far better than MTV these days (or maybe I'm just older?) They actually SHOW videos of songs that are on the top 20! None of that boy band or rap crap."

I agree with you...and I'm 16
  4. Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    LOL! The video has absolutely nothing to do with the song name. Don't worry. The video for NIN's "Happiness in Slavery" is most disturbing.... most disturbing indeed... far beyond anything tool has made.
  5. exar-tull Force Ghost

star 5
    i only watch MTV when darias on, other than that i don't watch MTV.
  6. Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The GREATEST video of all time, bar none, is:

The Beastie Boys, Sabotage.

That video has everything.

"Fred Kelly
    as
    Bunny"
  7. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

I haven't seen SABOTAGE. Does it have the requisite dwarves?
  8. That_Flashing Force Ghost

star 5
    This is why MTVX was invented.
  9. Jorus_Kando Jedi Master

star 4
    My Top Five Videos:

1. November Rain (GNR)
    2. Radio Ga Ga (Queen)
    3. The Unforgiven (Metallica)
    4. Take On Me (A-Ha)
    5. A Trick of the Tail (Genesis)
  10. Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The greatest music video ever is Estranged by Guns N Roses! "Well I jumped into a rivah too many times to make it home!"
    For a music video back at the time it was made, it has some cool special effects too! And a great but sad story :(

*Bursts out of the ocean*WAAAH DOOOO WAHHHHHH!

Enttyway, the greatest music videos are(And were) made by, without a doubt, by Guns N Roses and Weird Al Yankovic!

And then there's The Wall!
  11. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

When I started this thread, Weird Al was not on my mind, but I'm glad someone brought him up. HE actually has some talemt and I've enjoyed all of his videos because he is spoofing something that really needs it:
    pretentious music videos.
  12. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree, Estranged was the Gunner's best clip by a long way.
  13. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I too find music videos today to be a bit lacking. That's why I'm glad I get VH1 Classics,which does nothing but play old videos.
  14. Darth Foon Jedi Master

star 2
    I just would like to mention some videos here that I think are good...

All Tool videos.
    Closer - NIN
    The Day The World Went Away - NIN (I know they never put this on TV but there is footage of it on the new NIN DVD)
    Stuck On You - Failure
    Practically all videos directed by Spike Jones.
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
    In Bloom - Nirvana
    Come To Daddy - Aphex Twin
    California - Wax
    Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx

Videos these days do not make any effort in being creative or artistic. They don't even try to make the videos relevant to the content of the song. It's just a bunch of visual jibberish.

I hate MTV and I wish I had M2.

I believe Bart Simpson was the one who once said..."I no longer want my MTV."

15. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

Bart Simpson said THAT?

That's the coolest anti-hype anti-pop culture phrase I've ever heard! :)
  16. DJYODA Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have just one thing to say....

Ice Ice Baby

Now before every starts shouting 'one hit wonder!' just listen to reason. I think that all of Vanilla's videos were great even though he did sell out towards the end of his early career. And just to plug him.....new CD came out recently called BiPolar. Check it out on www.amazon.com. Its amazing!
  17. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, hello Robert Van Winkle, welcome to the boards.

18. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

I like the videos by Alien Ant Farm, even though they are guilty of some of things I've already complained about. There's something about them that's fresh. I especially like the one MOVIES even though it could have been better produced and directed. A lot of things in it don't make sense. I can tell they're TRYING to get something across in a couple of places, they're just clumsy at it. The Pat Morita cameo is pretty cool though and I like how they had the guts to stop the song and do that bit.
  19. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Their bass player really annoys me.

What about "Weapon of Choice" with Christopher Walken dancing around the hotel? That's gotta be a classic.
  20. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

Wedge, man thanks for bringing that one up.
    It's GREAT! One of the rare ones I really admire.

Christopher Walken is THE MAN! Didn't he win an award for that video?
  21. Waning Drill Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Music videos started to suck by and large when the following things occurred:

1. Every one became a Broadway-esque "Thriller" rip-off. I blame Jacko

2. CGI became (relatively) REALLY cheap and easy to use somewhere around the mid-90s. IMO this is the real killer here. I've been watching a lot of early-90s era movies and music videos lately, and to be quite honest, their SFX appears to be a helluva lot better than today's, for they chose to use that CGI creatively and judiciously since they couldn't afford to spend too much money on it.

Now it's far too easy a cop-out to simply rig up a green screen and create a bunch of cheap-lookin' graphics that are there just for show. It's really a huge waste of money; videos should only be expensive if the concept calls for it.

3. They started shooting all of them on a sound stage with really bright lights. I can practically see the glare melting their makeup like a microwave! [face_plain]

4. The "live concert" ones. Live my ass. A crowd of teenagers who are clearly getting paid to wave their hands around does not create an air of excitement. Either go the Smells Like Teen Spirit route and let the kids run wild without intervention or don't do it at all.

5. Creatively bankrupt boomers were placed in charge of their production instead of all the artistically frustrated young musicians out there who I'm sure must have something to say.

But then again I'm probably just full of it.
  22. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

Na, I don't think you're full of it. I think that's a pretty good analysis.
  23. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

there are some music videos that i enjoy, but as a whole, i don't think they're a good idea. many they take the focus away from the music and onto what the artists look like. an example of this being MTV's obsession with "pretty people" such as boy bands and girls wearing next to nothing. and since so much of mainstream music needs MTV's support, people who actually have talent but don't fit the mold of what they're supposed to look like are much less likely to make it mainstream.
  24. Mike_Mothma Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree with Maiden above me. MTV is the symbol of everything that is wrong with American pop culture in 2002. Yes I know that is a bold statement, but I'm with Bart Simpson in saying that I too no longer want my MTV! What has happened to that network?

I'm old enough to remember when MTV premiered during the early 1980's, and back then they defined the word "cool". However, even since the early 1990's the network has catered to a much younger audience, year after year. I think they're current target market is 8 year olds. By the end of the decade, they'll be catering to infants.

VH-1 is a great network. They focus on musicians and artists, not pretty people. They actually show us videos from a wide range of talents, and from a wide range of time periods. VH-1 is a network about music, where as MTV is a network about teenage sex.
  25. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

I love it! Great comments.

And by the way(snicker)
    you know MTV runs that Britney Spears song all the time from her "movie" soundtrack,
    "Not a Girl, but not yet a Woman." Well, guess what? Guess who the co-producer of the movie is? That's right, MTV films.
    So they make the film, and then run the music video. But hey, when a wonderful creative artist like Britney Spears comes along, ya gotta do everything you can to
    promote them.

BTW, what's the status of her movie? Is out yet, did it come out and bomb? Is it topping Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter at the box office?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.