main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends I Hate My Job (JA, OC/Obi, angst, one post)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: I Hate My Job
    Author: Diane Kovalcin
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Docent Vant, initiate Obi-Wan
    Genre: JA books
    Keywords: JA, Obi-Wan, Docent Vant
    Summary: A new Docent learns about how hard a job can be when she is forced to tell an initiate that he has failed to find a Master and must leave for Bandomeer.

Notes: This was first conceived in the Writer's Resource Thread The Laboratory
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I hate my job! Really, really hate my job. Now, most people would think that working in the Jedi Temple as a Docent would be an exciting dream come true - almost as good as being a Knight. Yeah, sure. I thought that, too...once.

Stupid dreams.

Little did I know that my old fantasies would mutate, making me the villain here, ruining poor child's hope of ever becoming a Jedi Knight. Orders for Bandomeer for some young boy, not chosen and almost thirteen, and I have to deliver them. Damn, just call me dreamkiller. Yeah, I hate my job.

When I was very young, I used to imagine that I was a Knight - a guardian of peace and justice - going off to save worlds without end, playing the heroine to the cheers of millions, wielding my trusty lasersword to rescue princes and battle pirates. I was quite shattered when I found out that the Jedi took you as an infant or not at all. And you had to be Force sensitive as well. True, I had some small powers of insight, could feel when someone was lying and, sometimes, could step out of the way of danger but little else...certainly not enough potential for the Jedi. I moped for days afterwards until my parents bribed me with new holovids and my dreams were forgotten. Almost.

Older but not wiser, I thought seriously of going into the Security Forces. I still had visions that I could do some good, helping the helpless, defending the weak, but after one bout of trying to help stem a fistfight between a bully and his victim, I changed my mind quite suddenly. Found out, to my chagrin, that I was a bit of a coward and really didn't like pain much. So much for that fantasy. I was almost relieved that I hadn't gone to the Temple. What would the Jedi have done with someone who faints at the first sign of blood? I have to shake my head at the foolishness of it all.

By the time I was an adult, my dreams of going to the Jedi Temple were pretty much dead, gone the way of all childish wishes. I studied hard at the University and became an accountant. Not very exciting but it helped pay the bills.

Then one day, my childhood fantasy came true. The Jedi Order was looking for someone to keep the accounts at their central headquarters. The salary was minimal but it included food and lodging. And I would be living at the Jedi Temple. How could I say no?

Before you could say Coruscant, I was unpacked and installed in a small - read micron size - room but I was there.

The Temple was amazing - filled with light and a sea of brown-clad Knights, so much movement and energy. The first few days, I got lost more times than I care to count but I was happy... happier than I had been in a long time. I was living my dream. Who knew it would turn into a nightmare?

At first, I kept pretty much to myself, trying to find my way around the place, making nice to my boss, doing a first-rate job on the accounts. I got several thank yous from the Knights who came into the office and even Master Windu noticed me, although I was completely tongue-tied around him. What could you say to one of the Members of the Jedi Council? Hi, how are you, how do you get your head so shiny? I just nodded and smiled and said not a word. But he did give me an odd look as he left. Hopefully, he hadn't read my thoughts.

Then this last week, one of the other Docents left for personal reasons and I was told to take his place. I was eager to show them that I could do the job well. Until I found out what the job was.

My job, now. Blast!

My boss was quite clear, explaining just ho

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awesome story Diane. Can't blame the woman one bit for hating her job. Certainly not one I envy... at least that part of it. Of course, who knows what the will of the Force has in mind for that young initiate??? ;) :D

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wow! Very original idea! I've never seen someone tackle that particular sore spot from this direction before. Brilliant job of portraying the emotions of both the docent and poor little Obi-Wan. :)

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    :_| Very well written diane and very moving. Poor Obi. :(

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Very different approach, but great

6. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    Never thought about who would tell the 'failed' initiats that htey were about to be shipped off. Yeah, I'd hate that job as well. Nicely done!

--later--

7. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I agree. Great, interesting angle, diane. You're so creative! I hate you. 8-}

8. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Wow, very different, yet interesting story. I never had thought about this. Very original. :D I know I wouldn't have the heart to do what she had to do. To tell Obi (of all initiates :() that his dream is now shattered, and he's being shipped off to another planet. I understand her feelings perfectly, and I think you described everything with astounding accuracy. Wonderful little ficlet, yet sad. :)

9. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I just managed to wander in here because the title of this story is something my step-father says all the time. I'm not really familiar with the JA, but I thought this was good, and

hi, how are you, how do you get your head so shiny?

well I thought that was funny anyway.

10. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    You know how I feel about this subject dianethx and I love how you told it from the docent's POV. That was very original and I liked how you intermixed a bit of humor in the docent's thoughts. Great job. :)

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Never seen something like this before and quite enjoyed it! I'd quit if I had that job also!

Bravo!

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Wow, I got lots of responses. I'm amazed!!!

Hi there Healer_Leona - Glad you stopped by. Thanks for the compliment! I certainly would have hated her job, too. What a wakeup call for her! Of course, when she leaves the job, she will probably never know that Obi-Wan does get a Master. However, there were still 4 others that did not! Anyway, I'm thrilled that you liked it!

obi_ew - When do you ever get time to read? Shouldn't you be writing or something...LOL? Thanks for the brilliant job I actually like to write rather odd things (my current fic Betrayal is definately from a different point of view). But I did enjoy writing this one...

Nemesis - hi there. See I can write other stuff... Thanks!

Kitara Hi again. Glad you liked it!! I like to look at things differently. Makes life interesting!!! I just feel bad for the poor Docent. There she was, her dream came true and it turns out like this....poor thing!

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    More responses...I'm amazed and thunderstruck!

Hi Darth_Leia_6669 - Yes, someone has to tell the poor initiates that they have failed the program and must leave. This is based on the JA1 where Docent Vant had to tell Obi-Wan that he was leaving. She was rather abrupt with him and I figured that she was feeling guilty...and there you have it! I'm very happy that you liked it!

Hi again LE - Ohhhh, the highest compliment you can ever receive...I hate you!. Thanks. And see, I can write other stuff...

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi -
    I like to do original things. It must be terribly hard to anyone to tell someone that their dreams are shattered but even more so to a child. When I read JA1, the fact that the Knights didn't have to tell the kids that they've failed and that they had someone else do their dirty work was not nice. Plus, I think sending kids off after working 13 years for a goal is pretty stupid. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now...LOL. I'm very happy that you enjoyed it!!

Tatooine_wizard - Your stepfather isn't the only one that says I hate my job. Sometimes, I do, too...LOL.
    As for JA, the little Jedi kids are brought up to be Knights but they have to be picked by a Master by the time they are 13 or else they get shipped off. Poor Obi-Wan was rejected by Qui-Gon and was told by Docent Vant that he had to leave. In my story, he was bandaging himself because he had just gotten into a fight with his archrival Bruck and Bruck lied about the circumstances. That's why Obi-Wan was getting shipped off early. He should have had another month to find a Master. Luckily, Qui-Gon was on the same ship and was finally picked as a Padawan after many hair-raising moments....

I like to put a little humor in my short fics to lighten a really sad story...Glad you liked it.

Hi Sheila - Yes, I do know how you feel about this. Your story was absolutely superb. I thought that the docent would probably have a sense of humor before she was given this job. And no humor afterwards... I like to write odd things...I'm very happy that you liked it!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi I'd quit that job, too. Thanks for the Bravo!!!

14. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    You gave the right picture about the Jedi Order. Some kid's dreams were broken. Hum poor kids.

15. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    OH, well I understood some of it, but now things are somewhat clearer. I just watched a short movie yesterday made by two boys, which was called Obi-Wan's training . Obi-Wan was thirteen and he was dueling with somebody named Bruck (although I thought they were saying Brock).

16. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I love it when someone takes a look at a situation in a manner that no one else has thought of. What a fantastic way to look at how the non-chosen children are shipped off. I would never have thought of that particular POV. Wonderful job!

Always love it when I see something pop up with your name on it. I always know I'm in for a great read. :)

Shaindl

17. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Oops. Sorry!

18. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Diane, you should feel proud of yourself. I wanted to make so sure that my response got posted that I tried to do it three times. :D
    My first triple post! Sorry!

19. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Oooh nice vignette! I had always wondered what it felt like for Docent to go and tell Obi-Wan he had to leave.

Well you perfectly answered this particular question. Awesome job!

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    PatttyB0123 - Thanks for your comment. Glad you liked it!

tatooinewizard - I'm curious. Where did you see the film with the 2 boys fighting? Was Bruck's hair white and in a ponytail? It should have been...
    I'm happy to clear things up for you.

Hi again Shaindl You gave me a triple post...LOL. The boards have really been screwing up a lot lately!

Now, I'm blushing. Thanks for the compliment! I did enjoy writing this (especially since I do hate my job right about now...LOL). But I thought it would be a good idea - it just seemed to click - and it was a challenge from the Laboratory. I saw that you found the thread. See, lots of good stuff on there and we get to play and get very helpful critiques besides!!!

Nat - Thanks for Oooh nice vignette!. I aim to please! Just happy that you enjoyed it!! And btw, you should watch out groping Garen. He might object...but if we hit him from three sides (you, me and Shaindl) I think we could persuade him....LOL.

21. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Diane: Explanation, last summer I'd made three Star Wars movies (with action figures) with a boy I know named Zac. Later Zac and a friend of his made more Star Wars movies with action figures, I got to see them yesterday. The action figure that was Bruck was 'Return of the Jedi' Luke.

22. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    This is really cool. Very original. :)

23. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    An interesting perspective on a really horrible job. I have always hated that theory of canon Jedi. Not picked? No problem, dump them out with the trash. Except most cities have recycling laws and you can just dump failed initiates anywhere, whereas you'd get fined for doing that with newspapers or cans.

good job on the story.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Hi Tatooinewizard I see that you turned the movie into a story. Good job with that!

Siri_Ruane Thanks. I like doing original things and this practically wrote itself (especially since I really do hate my job)

PaddyJuan Glad you could hop onto my lilypad for a bit. I've always hated that part of the EU - what a waste of incredible talent and then to just discard them like day-old trash. No way....

Thanks.

25. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Well done again Diane!!!

You definitely do a good job showing the underside of the Jedi Order. Doing the dirty work of the Jedi, not a good job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.