main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I hate to bring up Slave Leia and Aayla Secura, but?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ZEM, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    I also have come to except Leia's metal bikini as a plot device - sort of. Glad you agree with me about Aayla, the Jedi should stick with their traditional robes, IMO.

2. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Oh, I'm sure :oops:
    Though, I have a feeling it will be a while-sci-fi is better known for less clothing on females than on males.

3. kylethejawa

kylethejawa Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2010
    i agree it is very werid

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    You seem to be forgetting Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee. Both wear unconventional robes and take modesty to the OTHER extreme.

Unless those two are a gift for Islamist fans...

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The title of this thread sounds like a lie...

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I know one thing -- as long as Leia stayed in the shade, the metal bikini was fine; but once she
    got onto the exposed deck of that skiff in full desert sun... well, she better get back in the shade
    soon or she won't have to wax anytime soon, if you catch the drift.:eek:

7. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    I stand corrected. I should not have said "all" Jedi. Those two certainly have a different style but are still using robes, and are visually similar to the rest of the Jedi. Aayla and Ashoka are not, and do not seem to have an in universe reason for dressing the way that they do.
    In my opinion, from a story standpoint, it does not make any sense, regardless of modesty issues.

8. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    Now, I think that their outfits are cool. Anybody that can wear that much and still kick bad-guy butt needs some applause. =D=

9. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    Hmmm... Not really. My crime is that I knew this was gonna be a debate of extremes. :p

10. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    QFE :)

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    So ridiculously impractical clothing is to be commended, so long as it doesn't make the wearer look too sexy?o_O

12. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Lets not make this a lipstick versus hijab debate.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    But that's exactly what this thread has been from the opening post.

14. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    *sigh* i guess you're right.

15. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    For my part, is has nothing to do with looking sexy or not, or being impractical or not. It has everything to do with style and theme and consistency in storytelling. Aayla's outfit may seem like a minor, technical, nitpicky little detail, but it is slightly jarring to me from a story standpoint that the Jedi are presented in robes, all except this one special case. Or, now with TCW, two cases, with Ashoka.

Practicality or not is not in question. Continuity is.

16. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    What Im wondering is how come the poster of this thread isnt complaing about Anakin's beefcake shots in ROTS. The fact is, we, as people, like sex. That's why we have characters in movies being sexy. It's not a new thing nor will it ever go away.

As far as in universe, Aayla come from an extremely hot planet. Im sure her fashion choices may have something to do with her cultural heritage or maybe she just likes the look. I have yet to see any rule in the movies or EU that states a Jedi has to wear robes or cover every part of thier body. There are other examples of women in the GFFA dressed more modestly in both the PT and OT.

One more thing, Zem started this thread and indicated Aayla is a slut because of the way she dressed. It's good to know that in roughly 40 years of teaching tolerance, equality, and respect of women has resluted in a young women with a severly limited outlook on life. I wonder Zem, have you never worn a bikini?

17. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Probably not to work! :p

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Me, neither, but then you wouldn't want to see me in a bikini. [face_talk_hand]

We've got a dress code at work (pretty relaxed one, actually) which is appropriate for the work environment. Thinking the Jedi might have a reasonable code is not being intolerant in my viewpoint.

Let's face it, the skimpy clothing look is not in-universe. Its for the fans. Shrugs. Women have been dressed for the male viewers for years - and Ani's "beefcake" shot does not balance out the other nor should it (at least he was in bed where being topless at least made sense).

19. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Well put =D=
    That was exactly my point. It is not intolerant to question a movie's appearance which is supposed to be largely story driven, but then introduces one character who dresses differently from the rest of the Jedi with no explanation. The fact that people like seeing sexy starlets in skimpy clothing is not in question. But I see no point to it from a storyline point of view.

And, for the record, I'm not allowed to wear a bikini at work either. It is for the best, I say :D

20. ZEM

ZEM Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 3, 2009
    I'd say that this thread is over... but one last comment from me, I'm actually a guy. Just because I'm questioning the way Star Wars portrays women at times doesn't mean I am a woman. :p

21. Badger_Legion

Badger_Legion Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2008
    Actually, as already pointed out, there are 3 jedi that are dressed differently than the rest. This is only a continuity problem if audience assumptions are taken as fact. In the films themselves, nothing is stated about the jedi rules regarding dress, or even if they have one, so there is nothing for Secura's outfit to contradict. The in-universe explanation for the discrepancy could range from an exception for traditional clothing, to no rules regarding a dress at all. I'm sure the EU has addressed this somewhere.

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Uh huh - how convenient an explanation for the females dress. :rolleyes:

[face_talk_hand] Okay, so that sounded snarky, but you've got to admit all these "in-universe" explanations are just blowing smoke so that some of the women can be skimpily dressed. As I said in the TCW thread some time back, where's the in-universe explanation for a nicely-built man to wear a nice loincloth, huh? Say Obi? ;)

At least I applaud SW for having a variety of clothing for the females - it's not all skimpy.

23. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    In-universe, EU can say what ever it wants to. But out of universe, we know its simply after-the-fact justification for skimpy-dressed females.

24. Badger_Legion

Badger_Legion Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2008
    Err, what? You were arguing that you had a problem with it because of the internal logic of it. My response was addressing that. Why are you switching to the out-of-universe reasons behind it?

Yes, the scantly dressed women in Star Wars are there to please fanboys. They serve no story-telling purpose. Same deal with lightsaber duels, space battles, and, well, really most things in Star Wars are there because they look cool, not because they are necessary for the story or because they make perfect sense.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean the style of the lightsaber battles are unnecessary and "there to look cool." The fact that they happen is fine, but they are filed with a bunch of flashy moves that are done to look impressive and have no practical value in a duel.

The fact that space battles happen is also fine, but the way the space crafts move makes absolutely no sense. They behave as if they were in an atmosphere, but they are suppose to be in space. What's the logic in that? There isn't any. It's done for the sake of the audience, nothing more.

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, of course that's true, too, but if that's your point, it translates into "shut up and watch, or don't watch" don't you think? Heck, I thought the point of the boards was to discuss, argue, nitpick - exchange thoughts.

I accept your reason, but I do "dislike" both the "in-universe" reason as well as the internal logic. Now if the internal logic actually led to an in-universe reason I might even buy that - all women in SW are so warm blooded that they need to dissipate heat by exposing skin or some crazy theory - ah - THAT explains Ahsoka. ;)

If it helps to explain my perspective, I'm old enough to remember the bra-burning Womens Lib movement of the 60's even if I was then too young to be personally involved. I remember the stereotypes both men and women were pretty much locked into, so while clothing may seem minor, it does help to reinforce stereotypes. I was in college when ANH came out and by golly I remember the complaints about Leia acting "too butch and masculine" and how she was such a horrible role model to speak so snarkily to the heroes trying to rescue her - women "don't do that."

I think I'll sit out the rest of this thread for now as I don't want to derail it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.