main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I hate to bring up Slave Leia and Aayla Secura, but?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ZEM, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I guess I am making a big deal out it because they are only 2 Jedi who dress outside the normal robes combination.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but given how strict the Jedi Order is supposed to be, shouldn't it strike people as odd that only 2 Jedi dress outside of the norm?

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It shouldn't strike Lucas as odd, the pervert that he is: Carrie Fisher can't wear a bra in her white dress in ANH,

and he personally designed THIS dress: [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070312211502/starwars/images/3/32/PadmefullDinnernoshawl.jpg]

Which Padme wore when telling Anakin that they couldn't have a relationship....seriously???

Sorry, but the female Jedi outfits apparently fit in perfectly with Lucas' idea of what chicks in space should wear. [face_love]

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Did you want her to change the outfit AGAIN?

4. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    I strongly suspect that the.... er, indiscreet clothing of Leia/Padme and other females in the Saga is very much due to Lucas being influenced by Flash Gordon. The newspaper comic as much as the serials, mind you--in both mediums the series' female characters often wear very revealing outfits. Series creator Alex Raymond was quite well-known for drawing "sexy" femmes fatales, and William Randolph Hearst felt obliged to personally ask him to make his drawings more "family-safe." (Not to mention that in much of Europe certain Raymond strips with particularly leggy ladies were censored when they were reprinted in translation...)

Heck, in her first appearance Princess Aura is basically wearing Leia's slave costume. ;)

I certainly agree with the general gist of this thread, that the costumes are "sexed up" and made by boys, for boys. However, as with most things Star Wars, Lucas was drawing on plenty of precedent in this regard.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

6. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [image=http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/129185333256737050.jpg]

7. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    And the trash compactor. Star Wars has a whole Fetish Fuel page dedicated to it on TV Tropes.

Why not add the EU?

8. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    For me,I don't remember there being a strict dress code being mentioned in the movies..In the EU and movies theres lots of different styles of clothing the Jedi wear.Anakins evil Jedi look,the Muslim looking jedi,Aayla Ahsoka,Obi's been running around in Clone trooper armor for years ect ect.It seems the Jedi have a traditional look but don't mind you altering it.If they did have a very strict dress code all the characters would be dressed exactly the same and it would have been mentioned in the movies.

9. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Yeah, the Jedi do dress in various ways. Don't forget Lord Hoth's armor. And Callista dispenses with the Jedi robes for a more "street" outfit. Ben (Skywalker, not Kenobi) likes form-fitting black clothing (which will cause all the fangirls to come out of the woodwork when we see Ben in comics), and before that, his GAG uniform. Lowbacca goes naked, but he's a Wookiee, so it's a bad example.

As for slave!Leia, it's kinda justified since, you know, she's a slave to a crime boss. She would never willingly wear that outfit. Aayla, I'm more surprised, since she was a slave, and, well, what female Twi'lek slaves are likely to be doing for their masters gets a bit squicky. I'd think she wouldn't dress so provocatively. I'm just saying this as a victim of sexual abuse (baby-sitter) who had to go through a slow process of getting comfortable being shirtless, then being naked in the locker room, then being naked around my girlfriend, then having sex, and finally being naked on a nude beach.

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I had sympathy for you right up until the point of "nude beach". Even I wouldn't do that... :p

11. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    My girlfriend is very granola, close to earth and all that. Wow, way to avert the stereotypes.

12. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    I didn't say it was strict. I just find it odd that in the OT, we see Obi-Wan in robes, and Yoda in a similar outfit. Luke's outfit in ROTJ was a break, but he was redoing the Jedi order, so anything post-ROTJ I would not expect that to be exactly the same.
    However, the Jedi in the prequel era, especially during the movies, are presented as being more rigid and inflexible in their ways than in the OT. That was part of their downfall, but that is a whole other topic :D
    In the PT, we see more utilitarian use of armor during the war, as well as some variance in outfits. But, we don't see mid-riff baring Jedi as a part of that variance. Change is find if it serves a purpose, like armor or snow gear or the like.
    The only purpose I see it being fan service, but let us just call it that.

13. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Agreed on the fanservice. Leia's slave outfit at least has a justification.

Aayla, I have a friend who thinks Aayla was a sex slave. I have to agree because of what modern slavery is. I seriously doubt she would wear an outfit like that; as I mentioned, I was wearing winter outfits in hundred-degree weather.

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Well I have seen sources somewhere where she is dressed in a pic the exact same outfit as Oola only yellow instead of black serving a male Neomodian master. where she was saved by Quintin Valos or some jedi. Can someone find a pic?[face_mischief]

15. scarlet_shiv

scarlet_shiv Jedi Master star 1

Jun 14, 2008
    I agree that out of universe, Aayla's outfit is definitely for Fanservice purposes, the Old Jedi Order's rule about dress code was "after you're a padawan, anything goes".

While robes were traditional, many Jedi such as Ahsoka, Barriss Offee, Luminara Unduli, Eeth Koth, Agen Kolar, Adi Gallia, Stass Allie, Ki-Adi-Mundi, A'Sharad Hett, the Dark Woman and Dorn Travers wore modified Jedi outfits or completely different attire, out of honouring their heritage or personal taste. Prequel Jedi were not strict about clothing.

I don't think that Aayla's dress doesn't make sense just because robes were common for Jedi.

16. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    I guess my issue is the fact that the other Jedi you mentioned ,in bold, all use variations of robes.

I just think that if they wanted an outfit like the one Ashoka or Aayla use, I think a robe variation could have been created and fit in better with the rest of the Jedi Order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.