main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I hate you!" vs. "I had to!"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Circle_Is_Complete, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    When watching ROTS at the theater the first time I thought Hayden did one of the best jobs I have ever heard delivering the line,"I HATE YOU!!" Thinking about the way it was filmed on a stage with green screen and finding that emotion must have been a challange. It helped capture the emotion of the dark place and pain he was in.

Having said that, Afterwards while discussing the film with my brother I don't know how we got to it but he refered to the line,"I HAD TO!!" I just tried to nicely say that isn't what he said. He disagreed and we have joked about it a few times back and forth who was right. I was of course [face_laugh]. So again I had to show him in captions to give him a hard time.

This brings me to my point. The reason he would have thought he yelled I had to is that it would have made sense. So I thought I would ask you guys that love to find things to discuss on these boards which you prefer. I always thought that the line "I HATE YOU!!" summed up the line from the databank I always read that said Anakin was left for dead but his burning rage and hatred were the only thing that kept him alive. I personally always saw the line as him projecting what he felt about himself at that moment on to Ob-Wan and he was truly hating himself and what he became. On the other hand, "I HAD TO!!" shows his tunnel vision that caused him to do the atrocious things he did. It would show it how truly obsessed he was to do these things and how much of a slave he was to it. Heck if enough people like the line that way it could be one of the first things changed in an SE PT [face_laugh]

Anyway I'd like to here everyone elses thoughts.

2. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I can hear Vader screaming "I HAD TO!" after Obi's "You were the chosen one..." speech. Then after a pause in dialogue (while DV squirms and agonizes, maybe even after he catches fire), we hear "I HATE YOU!". Have 'em both![face_peace]

3. Circle_Is_Complete

May 20, 2005
    I am not going to keep reposting just to kick my thread up but also it is funny because after I listened to him the next time I saw the movie it sounded enough like "I had to." that I went and checked the script.

4. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Have you tried watching the DVD with subtitles?

5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I think it sounds like "I HAD YOU!"

6. Circle_Is_Complete

May 20, 2005
    No, I know it says "I HAD TO!" I mentioned in the initial thread that I showed it to my brother as a joke on the captions below on the DVD. I know what it says and was just curious to what everyone would think the better line was.

"I HAD YOU!" HAHA. Maybe he did. I mean after all he tells he says,"I have you now." about Luke in ANH. HAHA. OR he could have thought he had Obi-Wan at hello. ;) HA

7. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    That's an interesting point, and I agree that saying he had to would fit in the context of the story. I prefer the line the way it is, though. One of the most important things about Vader is his hatred, and it's bad enough that he's brainwashed into thinking everyone is against him and he hates the Jedi and everything, but a crucial step in his path is coming to hate Obi-Wan, his "brother." I wouldn't mind having him say "I had to!" to Obi-Wan, but not at that particular moment. The timing of his declaration of hate as it is now is perfect, and I don't think anything else should be in its place.

8. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    This thread confuses me. What is the actual line? I heard "I had you" the first few times I saw it. After reading that it was "I hate you" on the JC, I assumed that was the line. Now it sounds like the line is "I had to." I'm so confused. I think they all work, but I gotta say "I had to" is pretty cool.

9. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    That is a very interesting idea, Circle. While "I hate you!" is the actual line, "I had to!" could work. Come to think of it, it really does sound like Hayden says "I had to!" which, if he said it (which he didn't) would be really pitiful. But it would be true: Anakin is obsessed about saving the one he loves from death and he uses those overbearing obsessions to justify his evil deeds. Good thread.

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I believe the original line was:

[image=http://homepage.mac.com/dtrull/pix/tpm/meetobiwan.jpg]
    You had me at hello. [face_love]

11. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    I liked Obi-Wan in TPM but in AOTC he got on my nerves.

He was OK in ROTS.

The "I hate you" line was great.

12. DarthMrB

DarthMrB Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2005
    WTH? Tripple Post? WOW! Havent seen one of those in a long time. anyways, the line is I hate You!

13. Circle_Is_Complete

May 20, 2005

[face_laugh]

Thanks for the compliment Curufinwe.

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I HATE YOU was an excellent line because it sums up what Anakin thought about the Sith being right, the Jedi being wrong and misguided, Obi-Wan cutting Anakin's limbs, and most importantly Anakin feeling Obi-Wan turned Padme against him. All of that combined equals one hateful guy.

15. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    He was saying........

I AAYYY YOU

[image=http://www.amicidiugo.com/rubriche/pics/fonzie.jpg]

16. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    The line IS "I HATE YOU!", which is counterpointed by Obi Wan's "You were my brother, Anakin, I loved you." line...

17. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    [Double post....PC went on go-slow...]

18. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    "I hate you!" vs. "I had to!"???:confused:

[face_thinking] I could have sworn it was:

"Revved up like a deuce another runner in the night!":p

19. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    i like "i had to" better though delivered in a diiferent way-more solemn than angry

20. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    Run! Run Obi, RUN! And don't look back. :oops: Ahhhh, I can't watch.

21. OMoT33

OMoT33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    I can actually see both these interpretations fitting into this scene. I picture Anakin getting his limbs chopped off, and as he looks up says "I had to." Then obi-wan would go into his chosen speech and then anakin says "I hate you"

22. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ Jedi_Momma!

23. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    Personally, I have to say I don't think "I Had Too" would work. Him shouting that would imply that he knew what he was doing was wrong despite the evidence to support the fact that he does feel justified and rightous in his actions. Moreover, even if that wasn't the case, he should not at that point feel the need to justify his actions to Obi-wan. "I Hate You" was the right choice IMO.

24. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    I always heard it as "I hate you!" but when you've had your arm and both legs cut off and you're about to be engulfed in flames, I could see how your enunciation of words might be affected. :p

25. ChosenOne89

ChosenOne89 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    The line had to be I HATE YOU because if Anakin yells I HAD TO, it means that he knows what he did was wrong, and thus his character would not have been complete. If Anakin says I HAD TO, it shows that Anakin has reflected on what he has done and knows it was wrong, which contradicts with his speech to Obi Wan in which he says he brought peace to the republic, etc. The line had to be I HATE YOU because it shows how much enveloped he is in the dark side at this point, and leads to the darth vader we see in the other films. I HAD TO makes some sense, but it would mess up Anakin's character development and contradict his thought process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.