main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Have A Bad Feeling About This.

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Forja-Bingbey, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    What the heck is going on? I take a well deserved respet from a galaxy far, far away, and all hell breaks loose. This is nutso. This place seems, well... rather alien now, give or take a few sumgglers. So, with that in mind I would like to reinform the lot that I can meet on Sunday afternoons. Or, on Mondays & Tuesdays. I would hope that in the future that part-time/sleeping members who know and love Star Wars such as myself are let back into the inner circle ER students that have over run this forum. My Email address is list in my profile. I am willing to bring others into the fold, but I would hate to see it become too one-sided. My hope is that in the coming months of scheduled principle photography we will have a rekindled and renewed interest from folks around Voulsia County.

Until then...

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Eventhough it took a bunch of Riddle students to actually get something done around here, we would be happy to include you in the meetings. We don't have anything solid scheduled yet, but lately we've been meeting Thursday afternoons. I know Tuesday's are out, but Sunday's and Monday's aren't too bad for me.

And if you have a 'bad feeling' about the fact that this group is now official, please feel free to frequent the Melbourn or Orlando boards. But please keep all negative comments stowed in the nearest airlock. :) Reading through the older threads I see that you were one in the beginning that really wanted to see something done. Well now it's done, so just come on in and enjoy yourself and maybe together we can make this one of the best Fan Force chapters in the country. :)

3. Forja-Bingbey

Mar 12, 2002
    Even though it took a bunch of Riddle students to actually get something done around here

Shouldn't that read - "It took a bunch of Star Wars fans"

Where you attend school should have little to no bearing on what happens around here. I'm not knocking your college, or the various activities that you may be into, I just hope that others don't shy away from joining up, or attending meetings if its mostly Riddle based. Sure, my post looked at from a certain point of view can seem a bit negative, but I think it's just melancholy that I feel.

It seems that certain chapters spin off into little cliques, and little gets accomplished because of it. Myself, I just learned about the boards in early 2002, and have many friends who know, like, and love the Star Wars universe, but have never even heard of the boards, let alone TheForce.Net. I have been a fan for 25 years. So, I purpose that we collectively start trolling for potential members by spreading the word via the Internet, flyers, and word of mouth. A friend of my owns Coliseum Of Comics and I have little doubt that he would let us hold meeting there, or post a sign-up sheet/flyer for others to join. I'm not into the gaming aspect of Star Wars, but I'm sure others are and would find his doors open to them if need be.

Also, it seemed that after the first meeting that no one was into joining. The first meeting was about as comfortable as a wake. Not to knock anyone that was there, just that it was really directionless. There was a failed attempt to go see Attack Of The Clones on the IMAX screen in Tampa, I personally emailed every single who had posted on the Daytona forum since April/May last year and invited them to join us... yet, no one responded.

So, Q, if you feel that you can take up the gauntlet and run with it. So be it, I'll join you in any Star Wars related activities that will provide to be entertaining, informative, enlightening, or rewarding, but just not if its going to cater to Riddle Students alone.

For months I monitored what Orlando and Melbourne where doing, and hoped that the same could come out of the Daytona Beach forum. Another issue that I wanted to bring up was that I know that Jayna and C. Clone both travel back to their respective cities and that makes things difficult from time to time. I wonder if there is anyone else in Daytona Beach that is guilty of trying to make their very own chance cube, walks the isles of Wal-Mart night after night looking that perfect carded Jango Fett figure keeps eluding them, or surfs the Internet nightly looking for clues to the final chapter of the series. I hope there are, I would hate to think that it?s just a handful in Volusia County.

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I apalogize if I read your post wrong. It did come off as a rather negative statement.

Now that that's cleared up. I think holding meetings at a comic store would be a great idea. The thing with all of the Riddle students is that Jayna, myself, and Commander_Clone are all Riddle students, so in the beginning it is going to be a little one sided. I personally don't know any non-SW fans in the area, so I won't be able to bring balance to the club. Try to talk your friends into posting and getting their ideas in here. We aren't trying to take over, it's just chance that we all happen to go to ERAU. I hadn't even met either of them before the second official meeting. Now, we are trying to start up a Riddle Star Wars club that will be a seperate club, but many of the members will also probably join the official club. This is a great way to get members, Riddle or not, and if you're worried about Riddle students 'taking over', everyone that shows up to the meetings gets an equal voice. It just so happens that only Riddle people have showed up at the last two meetings.

And I don't care about who 'takes the gauntlet' as long as something gets done. That's why I nominated Jayna as city rep. I came over here from the Fam Films board and noticed that Jayna wanted to start meeting, so I brought the idea up of a Riddle club, and then Karma showed up and we had three people, so we met. Then it grew to five people, one of which isn't a Riddle student, so we met again and became official. Unfortunatly this week is Spring Break, so I have a feeling that between you and me, not a lot of people will be posting. When would you be available for a fourth meeting?

5. Forja-Bingbey

Mar 12, 2002
    Mondays & Tuesdays, or Sunday afternoon. Most of the folks that I know have jobs, but they either work a 9-5 mon-fri one, or they have the freedom of a flexable schedule.

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, I wouldn't see a problem with meeting Sunday, other than the fact that our city rep is MIA. I guess as Secretary I could fill in until we get an alternate CR and make it official if we had enough people to call it an official meeting. Get your friends on the boards so they count. If they don't post, then they don't count.

7. AceHoly

AceHoly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    By the way, I should point out that I'm not a Riddle Student... been a college grad for nearly... uhm.... wow, a WHOLE lot of years! :)

Evenings are generally good for me, but not as early as 6:00 pm. 7 pm is easier for me to arrange, and I would like to attend.

I would also suggest that, to avoid it either seeming like the group is - or could eventually become - a "Riddle Student" club, we should hold our meetings somewhere else besides Embry Riddle. I found it somewhat uncomfortable contemplating walking around an unfamiliar college campus trying to find a Star Wars club.

Also, I hope that this club isn't going to dwell on being a "FanForce" club. Honestly, we should be our own, stand-alone club that uses FanForce as a communication tool, not as a means to identify or quanitify ourselves. Just my thoughts.

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, three of us were already at Riddle, so it seemed logical. Anyway, does everyone want to meet Sunday around 7ish somewhere then? I don't know if it will be official without Jayna, but I could PM some people and find out. I just don't want to start leaving people out, especially one of the people that motivated this group to get it's butt into gear. So are there any suggestions for places to meet? Considering it would be just an informal atmosphere to get some of us to meet for the first time, the only place coming to mind is Barnes and Noble. I don't really care for the idea, but then I don't get out much either :p I'll PM Karma and see what she's up to.

Ace, care to elaborate what you mean by dwelling on Fan Force? I think we have to be considered a Fan Force, especially when going to events and such things, so do mean advertising we are a Fan Force group?

Oh well, it's late and I have some shin armor calling my name.

-Later

9. Forja-Bingbey

Mar 12, 2002
    Thank you AceHoly for sharing similar concerns about this, I glad that I?m not a total outcast on this. I would meet Sunday if its anytime before 5:30pm. I work @ 6:00 and could not make the proposed 7:00 time.

I think that we have to keep in mind that not everyone that is apart of the forum will post everyday, but that such not mean that they will not have a voice at meeting, or other functions.

I know that the weather has been lousy, but I always found that watching the films was always a good way to break the ice with everyone. Over cold beer/soda and hot Bar-B-Q is even better, or Tofu dogs and Soymilk if you?re a Veg-head. I offer my services of using my apartment as a possible location to hold a meeting of these sorts. If anyone else can think of something better than sipping latte at B&N, let us know.

And Q, no hard feelings, M'kay.

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Of course not, glad to see things getting done. What I meant by posting is 'the Powers that Be' require that members of the FF Club be active members of the board, that's all :)

11. MortWindu

MortWindu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Oh my Deerrder! Whats up ya'll? It's been awhile, huhu. Darth Maul is a pimp (I know cause I saw him on Ridgewood last week)...later!!!

12. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    >>Of course not, glad to see things getting done. What I meant by posting is 'the Powers that Be' require that members of the FF Club be active members of the board, that's all <<

I guess this is one of the things I meant about not getting too wrapped up in being a FanForce club. First and foremost, we need to be a Star Wars fan club for Daytona Beach... one that just happens to use the FanForce boards to communicate. We don't want to have some central body tell us who can be members or when we have to meet or what members can or can't do... We need to be our own entity.

I don't think that members of the club (whatever it will be called) should HAVE to be active members of the board, or members at all, really. It's nice that we have this forum to use, but we don't want to be JUST some extension of some conglomerate website. We need to have our own rules of admission, and not be dictated to by outside influences.

Just my thoughts.

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I kinda like that idea Ace. Something to talk about at hte next meeting. While I would certainly like all members to post at the boards, I don't think that I like that it's required. Of course if someone wanted to come to the meetings, we wouldn't tell them to go home. I've been on message boards for about 5 years now and I tend to think of them as their own little comunnity, which is why I would like to eventually see all the members posting here, but I wouldn't have it be a requirement.

Although all of the announcments will probably be going out through here, so eventually I think everyone would migrate over, if to just check on 'what's up'

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, I e-mailed Minacia_Brightstar and if I get her the info by Friday it'll be an official meeting. I personally would rather wait for the whole group to be here, but whatever you guys want to do. :)

15. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    If we have enough meetings, eventually everyone will be involved. Sometimes it's difficult to get everyone there at the same time, every time. It all works out in the end.

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I agree. So any word on a meeting this week? It's spring break, so other than working on my armor, I'm good anytime. :) Just let me know by Friday.

17. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    Evenings or this weekend is fine by me. Sunday afternoon works.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Excellent, that's two. I guess now that we're official we don't need three to show up at every meeting. Forja, Mort, anyone else wanna get in on this?

19. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    It's our club, there shouldn't have to be a minimum number of people attending to have a meeting. We could even have chat room meetings somewhere, like on AOL.

In any event, I await further information.

20. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, well we have Ace and myself. If I don't hear from anyone else tonight, I'm going to go ahead and schedule this thing tomorrow morning. What would be a good time/place for you, Ace? Like I said, I'm good anytime and just about anywhere.

21. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Lemme just get in my 2 cents.

Q and Jayna both posted in previous threads that we were going to meet up as a Fan Force thing. Nobody else replied, so we assumed y'all were dead or something. That being the situation, and knowing we were all going to be at Riddle at one point during the week, we decided to meet at Riddle.

That having been decided, we set a date and time for a meeting at Riddle, and nobody posted to tell any of us it wasn't a good time for them. We thought we were alone in this town! It wasn't an endeavor to exclude anyone, just a point of convenience.

Anyway, it's good to see some old names back in action. A meeting Sunday night? Count me in.

22. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Excellent! So we are all good for Sunday. Ace, you said before 5:30, right?? What about some sort of dinner meeting at some place like Denny's, just to get everyone together and talking?

23. AceHoly

Mar 6, 2003
    I don't have a time constraint - Forja-Bingbey wanted it early to mid-afternoon before 5:30.

How about 3:00 pm?

BTW, I don't feel like there's been any conscious attempt to make this a Riddle thing, so no apologies necessary on that front. I'm just a newcomer, so not in the position of changing plans for a group I've never met. :)

24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Three sounds good. Karma, Forja, you guys in?

25. Forja-Bingbey

Mar 12, 2002
    3 sounds good to me. Where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.