main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX I have a confession to make

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Pete_Solo, Dec 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete_Solo

Pete_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2000
    Hi Peter here from San Antonio Star Wars Society and there is something I have to get off my chest. It's been bothering me so the sooner I get it off my chest the better. Here goes...I'm a trekker. Yes, it's true-I am a Star Trek fan as well as a SW fan. I watch the episodes, even watched STTNG when I was going to college, was a loyal watcher. I watched the movies, know some of the terminolgy and even know a few Klingon words. Not sure how I can face the rest of you SW fans w/ this. But there, I admit it. I'm a trekkie out the closet. I NEED A HUG!

Pete

2. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Uh..I'll skip the hug. Don't feel too bad. We all had to do something to spend the time between 1983(ROTJ) and 1999(TPM). I always told myself; I'm just a ST fan until the next SW movie comes out. Now, TPM came out...Star Trek( specifically - Voyager) sucks, and everything is now ok again. Like I said in one of the other threads: It's sad but I can guess which ST episode it is buy glancing at it for 10 sec but I can tell you which SW movie it is by listening to just a 1 sec sound blurb. As long as you know deep down that SW is better that ST, you have nothing to be afraid of...except maybe ST fans themselves...

(Shatner on SNL): "Get a life people!! It's just a TV show!!" ;?D

3. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    None of that group hug hippie crap here! =) We settle our problems over a tankard of Klingon Blood Wine!!!

Like I said, it's okay to be a Trek fan. A lot of it is really good sci-fi. And as long as your priorities are straight (SW ALWAYS comes first), everything will be just fine. =)

As far as Voyager, the only thing I can really say about it is that it is seven years of waste. Wasted potential, wasted talent, and most importantly, wasted time---time Trek does not have if it wants to continue to survive. I don't blame the actors, the production designers, the effects or makeup people, either. The problem lies with one man--Rick Berman. He is the king of mediocrity, and is apparently blind, deaf and dumb when it comes to learning from mistakes. I will forever be grateful that DS9 was able to be made the way it was. I would imagine it was because Berman pretty much left it alone, and the people in charge actually cared about the show, character development, and a continuing plot that EXPANDED and improved upon the Trek mythos, not just fed on like a parasite.

All I know is that poor decisions like Generations, Insurrection, Voyager, and even parts of First Contact (although to a much lesser degree--it was a pretty good flick) are killing the franchise, and unless someone steps in and kicks out Berman and his cronies, nothing will change. And unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will happen. Berman is helming series 5, as well as spearheading the new Next Generation film, which he has said himself is much more like Insurrection than First Contact, tone-wise.

It's sad, really. It would have been so easy to keep things going strong, and improving, but sadly, I don't think it will happen.

Personally, what I'd like to see is a more expanded movie schedule. Separate movies and adventures for each crew that has 'graduated from tv', as well as films that incorporate them all. William Shatner's Trek books would be perfect adaptations to start with.

As far as TV, DO NEW FRONTIER!!!!!! Get Peter David as head writer and executive producer and let the guy run with it! And beyond that, I wouldn't mind seeing some tv-mini series as well. I wouldn't have two series going at once, as it's overkill. But small events would be fine. Maybe a telefilm about Section 31? A miniseries about the Klingon Empire? The Cardassians? Starfleet Academy?

There is so much that could be done. But, as the captain once said, "Cest la vie."

(I'm sure I misspelled that, but you get my point)

4. Joanzia

Joanzia Former FF Staff star 3 VIP

Oct 18, 2000
    Pete, you really don't need to worried about being a Trek fan too. Ron and I are big Trekkies ourselves!! I think that there are a whole lot of people out there that enjoy both SW and ST.

Besides, I have combined my love for both and dress up as a Jedi Trill at the expos. And no one harassed me. Most people thought it was cool! Well.....at least those that were intelligent enough to know that the spots down my head were Trill spots and not some other SW alien. :) Oh, and at the next expo, Ron and I hope to show up in our Classic Star Trek Uniforms. He'll be a Captain and I will be his Yeoman.

And no one has harassed me for my signature either. I figured I might get a few comments here on the JC about it but no one has said anything yet. :)

So I say....

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!! and
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!!! -\\//

5. Pete_Solo

Pete_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2000
    Hope you guys know I was kidding about the group hug thing. I like both but lean more towards SW of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.