main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have a question about maxscripts...

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Shadows_545, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    How are scripts viewed? As tools that should be used as much as possible to model faster and better or are they considered cheating? The thing is is that I've recently discovered some very awsome maxscripts and I would love to use them, but some of them I don't get what they do, in other words when I use them they create but I don't know how they achieved it... Should I feel bad for using them to help me model?

BTW I wouldn't even ask if I was an expert modeler, but I'm still a newb in alot of ways. So I guess the real question is would the use of the maxscripts somehow mess up my learning of modeling?

Thanks anyone for your thoughts!

2. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Any tool is a good tool...But I would recommend that to become a well rounded modeller don't rely solely on the scripts. Because one day, you'll run into something that the script can't do or a script hasn't been written to do it yet...then your brain, creativity and inginuity has to take over.

I'm not a professional modeller by any stretch of the imagination. However, I can tell you that I get a greater sense of accomplishment solving a problem on my own rather than relying on a script to do the work for me. But scripts do serve a good purpose for efficiency and some problem solving.

This is a good discussion topic I think....

Later
    Steve

3. Only-One-Tea-Cozy

Only-One-Tea-Cozy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Best thing about scripts is time saving. For me, that's their main purpose, for instance I use a script called e-light to set up a hemisphere of lights around an object to say simlutate sky. I could do this by myself, but it would be painfully slow.
    Some of the scripts like clean cut can be usefull, but you could allways cut then use the most fanstastical tool in editable poly called "remove" :)
    I guess if you are gonig to do something heaps it's ok, but remember some things are quite obvious to spot. I guess a good rule would be, to use a script only if it does EXACTLY what you want it to do, in other words, dont make something less good, just because you can do it with a script in less time. But if things look better and take less time with a script I dont see a problem.

4. Darksteps

Darksteps Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    I almost never use scripts(i.e. the only one that I know that I've used was the ragdoll constraint script in MAX 6 demo, and that was just for fun)...

as far as using one for modeling, I've never done it... in the time it takes to find a script to do what you want to do, you could probably have already done it...

sure some of the scripts may make things easier in the long run, but if you're new to modeling you don't need to learn shortcuts until after you learn the long way... cuz the long way can often lead to paths to other solutions for other problems later on...
    ;)
    Darksteps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.