I have decided that we shall stay here!

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by cruznseal2, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruznseal2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    While all of YOU are away at C2 next week a handful of us will be left here alone and forgotten. Coincidently Spiderman happens to open Friday and although not really star wars related its something to help forget about C2 since I?ll be going anyway i was wondering if we wanted to make a outing of it and meet some where to enjoy a extremely hyped movie that will be sure to disappoint. (You?ll have to forgive me, I?m feeling very pessimistic about next weekend) I?m opened to other suggestions as well
  2. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    That actually sounds like a good idea. Then we could go out afterwards for some grub and discuss just how god-awful Spiderman was.

Maybe a Saturday matinee so we don't really need to worry about lines/tickets?
  3. cruznseal2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    oh but the lines and tickets are half the fun
  4. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Maybe for Star Wars, but I don't know enough about Spiderman to deal with Marvel fan-boys.
  5. cruznseal2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    very good point!

I'll be in sheboygan for part of the day sat. i'm not sure when yet.

i'll keep you posted
  6. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dear GOD, are you people heathen? Spiderman is only one of THE single greatest Comic book heros in the history of Comics. You both make my spider sense tingle with your evil remarks about Spidey. Marvel fan boys, what is the matter with Marvel??? Sure some of the comics sucked but who is cooler than Spidey? He's a sarcastic Geek. (*has to give Marcy an evil glance to quiet her snickering and pointing*) I don't know how good the movie is going to be but Tim Burton's not doing it which means no evil clowns and no Johnny Depp, I'm surprised HE wasn't Batman. Do not mock the greatness of Spidey!

Dwayne

PS- Next you'll be mocking Daredevil.

PPS- Marcy says don't mock Matt Murdock, she'll have to get squirrely.
  7. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm going to Spiderman opening night here in Oshkosh. Just for fun. I'm also a Tobey fan, which is mostly why I'm going. I think it'll be a good movie. Spiderman is the second comic book hero I fell in love with. The first being Gambit of the X-Men.
  8. TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'd love to go, but I usually work on Saturdays from 1 to 5pm. Otherwise, I'd be there.
  9. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, down the line:

Dwayne - no offense intended (nerd!). I used to be a huge DC fanboy (until comics became cost prohibitive to collect).

Solo - Although I am hopeful for Spiderman, I'm generally pessimistic about comic book movie adaptations... 10 times out of 10 they fail miserably.

Mike (Cruz) and Liz (Twisty) - We can schedule something for later in the day if you're both busy on Saturday. Maybe a 7PM showing of Spiderman on Saturday? Then dinner? Anyway, anyone else not going to Celebration and interested in talking smack about those who are going, let us know and we can try to work something out.

Jeff
  10. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    >>Although I am hopeful for Spiderman, I'm generally pessimistic about comic book movie adaptations... 10 times out of 10 they fail miserably.

I agree. X-Men wasn't too bad and I'm hoping this one won't be either. I do generally agree with that comment though.
  11. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Most of them are pretty bad, I'd say, like, every Batman movie ever, and those cheesy Captain America movies from the 70s where he'd pop out of a van riding a motorcycle, and everything had the American flag on it. Yeah, good subtle vehicle there Cap. And then there was the one that never hit theaters, I don't think, where he was played by a brown-haired, brown-eyed short guy in a big rubber suit. What, couldn't they afford a puppet? I won't even mention the Punisher movie, which I never saw, but, it just looked... horrid. Any time Dolph Lungren is in a film playing more than a corpse, he's beyond his acting ability. I liked the X-men as far as comic movies go, and I think they got Wolverine right, but I always hate the changing X-men "starting line ups." When is Colossus ever going to be around? Also, Blade was pretty cool, good fight scenes, decent villains. Spawn... could have been better... a lot better. As for Spiderman, I never really read the comics (I was an Iron Man kind of guy), but I always watched the cartoons. Never a big fan of either Goblin either... just seems... silly. A Venom movie would be cooler. Marcy loves Venom. I just think Spiderman is cool because he's a sarcastic college kid and really his powers aren't that amazing compared to say a Superman or Hulk. If we were in town, we'd go see it with you. And if it sucks, I'd be the first to admit it.

12. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    By some cruel twist of fate, I will not be able to make it down to C2 either. I just don't want to talk about it. But I have been eagerly anticipating the release of Spiderman also and would like to make a day of it.

I am a bit more optimistic about the flick. I think that's because I have unusually low standards when it comes to that particular genre of film. Any adaptation, whether it be of a television show, a novel, or a comic book (oh, excuse me ... a GRAPHIC NOVEL) very rarely captures the essence of its origin. I blame the director. He has his "vision," which is really just an interpretation. We all have different feelings and ideas and opinions about the original work (I thought about being pretentious and using the word ouvre instead of work, but I can't figure out how to get that u-leaning-into-the-o character), therefore nearly by definition we will not hold the adaptation to our hearts as a clear representation of the original. Unless we directed it. So I just let a lot of inconsistancies go. Except for bad acting and dialogue. Those are two sins for which there is no atonement(sp?).

In regards to the Spiderman comic itself -- I was a fan, albeit a young, niave fan who didn't understand the layers and delicate structure of the serial. I just liked running around the house, jumping from piece of furniture to piece of furniture pretending to be swinging via the webs shooting from my partially clenched palms (which, incidentally, got me into a lot of trouble with my mother, who thought I was making the sign of the Devil while playing).

Point being, sure, count me in. And if the movie isn't as good as "Howard the Duck," I won't be disappointed.

Catie
  13. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    I won't speak for the other ladies, but I've been a Marvel fan for quite some time, even if I never really owned any of the comic books (got my Xmen and such as Sat. morn. cartoons). I think Spiderman is going to be really cool and I'm looking forward to seeing it. Just not this weekend. My husband hates lines (so guess who is seeing TPM by herself at whichever theater she gets tickets for the midnight showing (if there is one)). The only Marvel comic I owen is the foil covered Return of the Supermen one, but someone gave it to me. Anyone know if it's worth anything?
  14. TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    unfortunately, unless for some miraculous reason that I can magically get my licence without ever having taken a drivers ed lesson, I can't go on saturday night, either, as both of the parental units are going out for a huge dinner/auction that night.

The fates conspire against me.
  15. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I TOTALLY know what you mean, Twisty. I have a driver's license, but no car. So I can empathize. :)
  16. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, here's the deal - everyone who is even slightly interested in doing something this weekend (without those C2 jerks), send me a private message, letting me know what times you're available this coming weekend and I can try to get something together when we're all available. If a ride is your only problem, Twisty, and if you're not too far out from one of us, I'm sure someone might be willing to pick you up (emphasis on the might).

So, thus far it looks like Cruz, Sy and myself are definitely in - anyone else, let me know before this weekend.

Jeff
  17. jedihexer Jedi Master

star 2
    Remeber, more books come out tomorrow. Also check at other stores. More tie-in stuff is due to appear any day now...ohhhhhhh my wallet!
  18. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Cruz,
    First of all, none of you are forgotten by any of us "C2 jerks" as Bishop so eloquently put it and you are not alone. It looks like you have a number of people interested in keeping you company. Think how I felt when you all were at MSOE this weekend and while I am coaching soccer and can't see AOTC for the first week. Things will even out then but for now, you all are in our thoughts while we are looking for things that might interest you all at C2.
  19. cruznseal2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    yeah, i'm sorry you weren't able to make it to MSOE, however i would much rather miss MSOE and be go C2 (my consolation is that while you are all gone i will be able to take over the forum, elect myself supreme chancellor of the unofficial Milwookie council, and unleash my secret legion of clones that i have been creating behind your backs, insuring my total control)

I reached the breaking point today when i found out a small, little, insignificant, freshman, girl (said or typed rather, with deep contempt and loathing) will be taking off of school to go to C2 while i'm stuck with my giant western civ test Friday. (I have decided to umm...shall we say arrange for her removal therefore securing her spot at c2 for myself)

anyway you are very right and i would like to thank all of you, especially the wampas, who have offered to shop around for those of us not able to make it to c2. and after you hear about are Spiderman "party" you will all turn greener than the green lantern himself(hehe bad joke)

20. TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Mike, you're terrible. Really, really terrible. ;)
  21. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Did I say C2 jerks? Oh, I meant to say C2 SOB's - naw, I'm just kidding and I apologize if I offended. I'm just totally envious. But I do want to thank the Wampas and Eric for picking some stuff up for me while down there. Y'all rock!

Jeff
  22. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  23. cruznseal2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    MY 100th post (i'm so proud)

anyway just wanted to firm up who exactly has an intrest in meeting to see spiderman and also what day works best for you.

(friday, saturday, or sunday)
  24. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thus far it looks like Cruz, Sy, Twisty, and myself are going. Anyone else?
  25. Jedi_Bane Jedi Master

star 1
    I'd like to see spiderman with you guys, so long as I don't have to go too far...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.