I have given up TV

Discussion in 'Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Darth-Seldon, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Why do you say?
    What is TV really, an instrument. What is the result of this crafty instrument....so the government can get us going. It is poison for the mind. This is not so much the government but the uppers. Why is Access Hollywood, Extra, ET and all that other crap on every day? Who the hell cares who so and so is wearing? Why do we watch it? Well it tells us what is "in". We must buy what is in. Buy more, buy more. Consumption is crucial.

We are capitalist and we must buy new products whether we need them or not. Don't get me wrong, I love capitalism. To use Churchill logic, it is the worst economy except for all of the others that have ever existed. Don't get me wrong Adam Smith if your reading this, I'm very thankful for it all. I'm not trying to bash Wealth of Nations or anything. Some good ideas in there.

I digress

The TV is a waste of time. Half of your viewing experience is commericals. What are they? Getting us out to buy more, buy more. Because all of us on Sunday realize how filthy our bathrooms are or how dull our kitchen knives are. Or how we must have a rod of metal which will make us fit. Or perhaps a pill which will extend our lives. They want us to buy things. They reach out into our living rooms with flickering lights telling us to buy more. I don't want to see it. If I need it, or want it, I will buy it. I don't need them to tell me to do so.

So for the longest time I kept watching that screen so I could keep up with the news. How many "news" shows even report it? Almost none. The Today show is a show about hollywood, rock n'roll, sports events, authors, new technology, cooking and five seconds of news. They don't tell you anything. All summer they were in Athens reporting that so and so won a race. If all you did was watch that show you would have no idea what the hell was happening in the world. It is a waste of time. The majority of the news programs don't report the news. Other stories are fake. Not all, I may still watch Nightly News. However the far majority is nothing, no news at all.

How many good TV shows are there? If we have to suffer through commericals they might as well please us. Most don't. I don't give a damn who is voted out of whatever damn island the morons are stuck on. It is not a reality TV show. That is such a terrible term. It is real people in incredible games. How is being trapped on an island or working for Donald Trump, considered reality? What moron in Hollywood came up with that term? I hate those shows. I don't care if they are eating worms. I want either something which makes me laugh or gets me thinking. In my opinion very few shows do that. Seinfeld was good, Fraiser was good, but they are now gone. Everybody Loves Raymond is good, but it gets old.

What the hell is daytime TV? How much trash do they need to put on? "Out of control Teen Girls", "I'm cheating on you" these topics and many more are covered on these shows which are complete trash. Then there are a hundred talk shows which talk about nothing.

Not having cable, there is nothing ever on. It is not difficult to give it up.
    I just can't stand it anymore.

-Seldon
  2. StarWars_Revelation Force Ghost

star 5
    When we didn't have satellite I never watched tv. I still don't watch it all that much, just certain shows and movies that come on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.