main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permenantly."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Aug 31, 2016.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    These are Tarkin's words when he tells the Death Star board that Palpatine has dissolved the Senate. I'm curious: Did Palpatine personally appear in the Grand Convocation Chamber to say, "This body is no more," or did Mas Amedda speak for him? Was the dissolution of the Senate broadcast on holonet?

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I imagine a handful of senators went to work that morning... or so they thought. They were greeted by locked doors and a guard saying "Didn't you get the memo? They've shut this place down."

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe powerful acid was released from hidden vents in the ceiling - giving "dissolve" a double meaning?

Might be a bit over-the-top though.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    C-SPAN.

TX-20, PCCViking, Darth Dnej and 5 others like this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Most likely the decision was made public in Palpatine's office or throne room.

Only if you're the Joker.

PCCViking, Deliveranze and Iron_lord like this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Or the League of Shadows.

7. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Nobody really knows for sure. I've always had the image of the Emperor appearing in front of a fanatic crowd of senators; excited to catch a glimpse of the recluse Emperor. Awaiting them would be Palpatine with a garrison of royal guards and stormtroopers. He then appears to give them a short speech about making the senators redundant and threatens any opposition with immediate execution. He then returns to other duties.

That's how I have always seen it in my mind. I do know, however, that Palpatine did imprison a large group of senators and executed them: blaming the whole incident on the Rebels.

jade_nova likes this.
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I have not really thought about it but man would I love to see this scene :D

if he did appear in person I would imagine he finished with a sarcastic "thank you for your service" of some sort.

PCCViking, GregMcP and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Like others have said, I always envisioned the senate being gathered, only for Palpatine to say something like "This body is no more." To be honest, I'd really like for this scene to be portrayed in Rogue One, near the very end of the film.

10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    U mean Holo-Span. H-Span!

SuperSecretMuffin likes this.
  11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    In true Palpatine fashion he would use the Rebellion as the fall guy and as the emergency he would need to further consolidate his power.

"After the recent terrorist attack that saw one of our military installations destroyed and information stolen, it has to come our attention that the Rebellion is using this body as a means of recruitment and support. We have also learned that many of the Rebel leaders are in fact, Senators. Once we have their names, their betrayal will be dealt with. Until we have destroyed this terrorist organization, until we have dealt with the traitors that defile this institution, this political body will be dissolved. All Senators are to return to their respective systems, where Imperial Governors are now in place. Once this Rebellion has been snuffed out, we will reinstate the Senate... and work together as we push forward for the common goal to make the Empire safe and secure for all"

Lt. Hija, PCCViking, Avnar and 11 others like this.
  12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    That or he gives Tarkin a smaller prototype Death Star laser weapon (sort of a city leveller rather than a planet destroyer), the Senate coordinates and the cue to fire. The Senate and it's occupants reduced to their component atoms, Palpatine looks at the camera and smirks...

"I guess the Senate... has just been dissolved."

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Palpatine builds a Sarlacc pit in the middle of the Senate and installs the "The Death Toilet" inside the Senate building to flush all the Senators into the Sarlacc so they can be digested.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    I personally would love a scene of Palpatine appearing as a giant hologram in the senate to let them know The time for politics has passed and we must devote our strengths to crush the Rebel terrorists so we can enjoy the freedom we so love. Today The Imperial Senate no longer functions till peace has been restored to the galaxy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I always just thought it was a play on words...as in - He had them all killed! [face_skull]

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  16. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    You mean like this:

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes! Exactly :)

18. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    ....."The last remants of the Old Republic have been swept away." :D
    Just like this line so much...

On a serious note, topic wise, I really have no idea...Is that so important to know anyway ?

The only thing I've sometime wonderered about this line re-watching ANH is what was this council exactly supposed to be or to mean.

Probably the Senate's executive body of some kind (..."How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy ?"). Cause Tarkin doesn't say the Senate has been dissolved...

Darth Dnej likes this.
  19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I think that's what he meant. Council=Imperial Senate.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    The novelization had Tarkin add a line clarifying that the senatorial representation wasn't actually abolished... only suspended "for the duration of the emergency." Wink wink. Nudge nudge.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

That was this little guy's serial number, I bet:

[​IMG]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Senate_cam_droid

Interestingly, this is very close to the rationale the Jedi were going to use to justify their planned takeover of the Senate.

darklordoftech and Darth Basin like this.
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Once SWTOR goes offline, Grand Moff Disney will say "The Last Remnants of the old EU have been swept away!" :D

PCCViking and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  23. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Along with "The old EU is no more. It's fire has gone out of the Universe. You my friend..." [face_laugh]

Darth Basin and PCCViking like this.
  24. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I can see it now:

Darth Disney: "At last, the old EU is no more..."

Fan of the Old EU: "Not, if anything to say about it...I have!!" <force push>

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    said every dictator ever

Darth Basin and PCCViking like this.