main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I have not watched the new Star Wars Blu-Rays.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    This is the first time EVER I have not watched Star Wars on a new home video Medium. Every digitally remastered, Betamax released set - I bought, I watched and I stored away.

But not this one. I never even bought it. I got it free with my BR player.

Why?

I cannot bring myself to watch the NOOOOO.

I can't. I honestly think that addition, beyond all the Prequel crimes and failures, is what has brought my love of Star Wars to it's knees.

Tell me... What's it like? I cannot watch... but like an ex-girlfriend... I NEED TO KNOW.

UKS: Scared.

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't watched it either, I don't have a BR player or the movies, it's not worth the money or time, I'll stick with my old dvd's.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Here it is, and I am not very thrilled about it either:

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    To be honest, I haven't watched them yet either, much for the very same reasons you mentioned. I'll stick to my DVDs for the time being, I think. They may not be in HD quality, but at least they're the originals.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Not gonna lie, when I finally got around to watching it, I didn't like it. In fact it...kinda sucked. Although if you like it, more power to you but it just didn't work for me. I think the biggest problem I had was that it didn't sound like James Earl Jones at all to me. I've heard that a lot of people don't like the "No" in ROTS, for example (although I think it's alright) but it at least sounded like Vader. Still, though, the added "No" doesn't ruin the movie for me. It just isn't as good as the original version so I think I'll just stick with my DVDs and the laserdisc transfers.

But "prequel crimes and failures"? Don't you think that's a tad hyperbolic? ;)

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's bad if you only watch the clip. It's not as bad if you watch the whole movie with it.

While I don't like the change, I have an even harder time with the new rock in front of R2 in ANH. Every new change besides those are fine in my book.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Hyperbolic? I was quoted at the bashers forum years ago as an apologist...

The prequels are in places really really poor cinema. Which is the big crime.

Shall we take it over to the PT forum? (is there a
    Pt forum anymore?)

UKS

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would have to disagree.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    UK Sullustian

I was just teasing. Hence the ;). I just thought that the use of the word "crime" was melodramatic. Making a movie that some people don't like is hardly a punishable offense, after all. I don't know if the conversation would necessarily be productive, though. Like Alexrd, I'd have to disagree with you (quite strongly) that the prequels are "really, really poor cinema."

But anyway, I wasn't too fond of some of the Blu-Ray changes, but considering I don't put that much stock into picture quality, I don't mind going back to older formats personally. I mostly bought them for the special features and was rather disappointed. The DVDs had better offerings, to be honest.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yeah, same here. I wanted to see the deleted scenes from the OT really bad and that was a major factor in my decision to buy them. But beyond the special features, they've been sitting around on my shelf, collecting dust. I don't think I've ever bought a film just for the special features before. :p

11. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I feel sorry for people like this. Can't you just love that Lucas makes the movies he wants to make. It's his movies. I'm a hardcore fan from the old days. Saw it in 1977. But I love it and more so I love watching it with my son. Just relaxing, hanging with him, seeing a 5 year old watch it. That's what star wars is about. The fun and magic.

12. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    As will I with my daughter.

Of the 2006ish DVDs.

There comes a point when the restoration destroys the original work.

Vaders 'No' goes from quiet dignity to childish tantrum.

Nice job George.

UKS

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Another no in a series that already has a bunch doesn't phase me. Plus I think ROTJ is the weakest entry, so it's hard for me to get all "you're destroying our culture, George" regardless of what changes are implemented. Unless Leia dumps Han for Nien Nunb in the next edition. Wait a minute, that would be awesome.

14. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    No, I have not seen the blu-rays either. I have no interest at all in these versions. Original unaltered trilogy for me.

David_Skywalker01 and Darth Dnej like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I haven't seen them either, but it's not so much me boycotting them as just not owning a Blu-Ray player yet. When I do I might get them then, or we might just continue to watch my 2004 DVDs upscaled (despite my love for the original versions that I grew up with, I like most of the improved effects and changes of the SE's, and that for the 2004 DVD's they removed some of the dumb stuff that was added for the SE's originally in 1997).

But I really don't like the new Vader "nooooo" either.

This part goes for me too... I've also been a fan since 1977 and enjoy watching SW with my 5 year old son too.

[face_laugh]

16. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    New rock? I haven't seen the BR version either. What did GL do with a rock and R2 in ANH?

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They've added one when he's hiding from the Tusken Raiders and Ben. See here.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They wanted it to appear impossible for him to get back out of his hiding place. :p

19. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks for that link! I spent alot of time reading it. And yeah, I agree that the rock is bad. How in the heck did R2 get in there?

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There are three more articles about the changes, if you're interested:

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Prequel Trilogy

21. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Of the changes I know about, Darth Vader's NO was pretty terrible.

Ewoks blinking is no big thing. Makes them seem more real to me.

As for the Krayt Dragon in ANH...that's just funny to me because it seems like George is never EVER going to figure out what one is supposed to sound like.

JediWheelz and Death T like this.
  22. QsAssistant

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks for posting the other links! Very interesting things. Out of all the changes made for the Blu-Ray release, the only two I don't like is the R2 hiding behind the rock and Obi-Wan's new scream to scare off the Sand People (isn't the scream the same as the creature he rode in ROTS?). I even welcome the new "No" in ROTJ; not that it makes the scene better but for me it adds to the process of Anakin returning and Vader fading.

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not denying the fact that they are his films and I never said I'm not happy for him for making the films he wants to make. More power to him. With that said, that doesn't mean I have to like every single version that he releases. We all have our own tastes and prefer certain things. You may be surprised to know that I don't mind the original '97 Special Editions. I quite enjoy them.

We all have our own way of reliving the fun and magic. For some, that is through viewing the originals and for others, it's through the entire Saga. There is no right or wrong way and it's certainly not a reason to feel sorry for someone. Embrace it and enjoy Star Wars however you see fit. :)

24. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    "Original unaltered trilogy" you do know every re-release has been a altered release. As for back as the re-releases before ESB

25. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I must have said it wrong, i mean i feel sorry someone cant enjoy them on Blu-ray and I am sorry that some people, not use, just cant watch in new re-release. I also would pick the older ones over the added stuff. Just some people, not you, i dont know you that good, just seem to have a hate and anything Lucas does. It makes it hard to be around 'fans" when all they do is bash and hate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.