main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I have not watched the new Star Wars Blu-Rays.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013

well first off what do dewbacks have to do with Easy Rider or any of those movies he mentions? Oh...more childish flaming.

if you're gonna try to make a point..have it make sense....like...pick something that would..y'know..FIT..in the movie to be placed in as CGI...if you actually want to make a point that is.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

That was the point, it was a joke. But if you wanna call it "childish flaming", go ahead. Even though I'm not attacking anyone, so "flaming" doesn't really make a whole lot of sense here.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I haven't watched the blu-rays either, and I likely never will.

4. JediWheelz

JediWheelz Jedi Knight

Sep 7, 2013
    The bolded part is why I'll probably eventually get the Blu rays. I have a Blu ray player, but I'm in no rush to get the box set because, A) it's expensive, and B) seeing the deleted scenes right now at this very minute is not a huge priority for me.

Darth_Nub likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. This, more than anything, is my issue with fandom as a whole. Not just limited to "Star Wars".

6. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I can't figure out who was flaming who in this thread.

I think you're all flaming.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just watched A New Hope on Blu Ray, that new Krayt Dragon sound Obi-Wan makes scared the living crap out of me, sounds like Ric Flair's WOOO

Not many changes from SE though

Even though I think I saw Cad Bane in the Mos Eisley Cantina

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Its only BEEN in the last 10 years that people have said that. (well, maybe 15).
    I can go straight onto Facebook, youtube, Facebook, Cracked dot com, Reddit, and virtually ANY other massive forum/social network site where Star Wars is brought up and will guarantee that there will be at least ONE hateboy who says that or an equivilant!

This is THE ONLY place on the internet where the fans are even close to equal to the haters.

FirstStarWars and Thoix Heoro like this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You guys are generalizing, as there are idiots of ALL kinds on the internet when it comes to movies, including the 'raped my childhood' SW fans. I never hear that phrase uttered here, so you guys should stop calling people out on that phrase at TFN. If you want to criticize the 'raped my childhood' SW fans, please goto the sites you cited and talk to those idiots. The bottom line is there are fans like myself who enjoy the PT, and see the Saga as the PT + OOT and eventually the ST now. I own the SE, but I prefer the OOT as I have always said that Lucas should have put out both versions (in the same quality) to please all the fans so we can get past this silly discussion.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Watched ESB Blu Ray last night, no changes at all, cool

11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Indeed. ESB seems to be the one in the OT that gets the least makeovers of all the makeovers. Not bad, but I still would have liked that Lucas would have finally fixed that lightsaber goof at the end of the Wampa scene where the deactivation sound is heard, but the lightsaber doesn't deactivate. A friend of mine that one still wasn't fixed with the blu-rays (and he's the same guy who says each of the changes are good because it's the "director's vision" :p)

SlashMan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You haven't been here that long, I have. The "raped my childhood" phrase was pretty commonly used following the release of TPM and continued into AOTC. It was used here and on various boards about the PT, as well as other forums such as Ain't It Cool News, where it became a popular gag with all films and shows that fail to live up to expectations. It's not used as much here anymore, because most people have stopped using it.

Thoix Heoro and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Speaking of the lightsaber noise, I've recently noticed it isn't there in the unaltered version (the 2006 bonus DVD) but it's there on the 2004 DVD (haven't watched in the 1997 version in years but I assume it's there as well) so the sound goof is something new for the altered versions.

14. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    That's my point as you said that was stated during TPM & AOTC here which was 11 years ago! Nobody says it here anymore so its not fair to generalize fans HERE for a statement that hasn't been used here in a decade.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Not many notable changes to the Blu Ray version of ROTJ except Vader yelling NO twice, which I'm iffy at, may like after a few watches

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

But some of those people are still here. And while the statement itself hasn't been used in some time, what has been consistent is the complaints that their memories are somehow invalidated now, because of the changes.

17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't believe anyone said I was talking about people HERE saying it.
    I dont even understand what the it makes, I cant understand how a sequel or a prequel can ruin someones past childhood.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because it doesn't. It's all mumbo jumbo designed to complain about the prequels and the SE changes. More the SE than the PT. The memories are there and cannot be altered. They can fade as time goes on, especially with Alzheimer's disease. I think it's that they're speaking of the feelings that they had which in their view, are now labeled as wrong because of the changes made by Lucas. Really, it's a non issue.

19. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Not to defend 'Raped my childhood' people, but the bottom line is no one can watch the OOT movies on BluRay and DVD the way the SE were released, so that is a legitimate complaint. I see movies like Lord of the Rings, Terminator 2, Bladerunner, ET and countless other movies released on DVD and Bluray in the past 15 years all with the original and special editions in the same quality, so that is why you don't get a large outrcry from those fanbases.

As for the complaints about the PT from OT fans, I don't defend them one bit. I liked the PT, and we can all choose to watch the movies or pretend they never existed. But the OOT still hasn't been released in the same quality as the SE on DVD or Bluray, so that complaint is 100% legit.

I'm one of those rare PT+OOT+ST Saga Fans. :)

20. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I also think those "raped my childhood" people just saw someone on South Park say it and they say it thinking we will believe they are funny and made it up.

If you want the OT, as I did, I got them on a torrent site. The laser disc copies are pretty good.

However what does OOT really mean cause Lucas has in some way changed something from every release, even those re-release back in the early 80s.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that people didn't have a legitimate complaint when it came to DVD and Blu-Ray releases. Even then, that's not raping their childhood. The term goes beyond having pristine copies of those versions of the films. In fact, I don't think it centers around them that much.

Nope. It had nothing to do with "South Park", which did a spoof in 2008 after "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" with Lucas and Spielberg raping a Stormtrooper and Indiana Jones. That was their literal take on it. But it started in 2001, because of a fan letter petition to get Lucas off the PT, because he ruined their childhood memories of the OT.

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    "Raped my Childhood" is the Godwin's Law of Star Wars fandom.

23. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    yea when that blu ray was announced and more changes i skipped it

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

The changes aren't that bad

Only 2 are noticeable

25. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005

still though i didnt mind the original dvd changes in 2004 i was fine with that but to keep going back and change even more just ruins it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.