main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

''I have other uses for you''

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthTalgus, Feb 3, 2013.

1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    They didn't kill Maul in the first place. Do you think it would have made more sense for Savage to build the criminal empire; or take on a similar role as an assassin like Asajj?

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    And I disagree Jack. Obi-wan may not have killed Maul on Naboo but he still defeated him like Hell. You don't need to kill someone to utterly defeated them and everyone in universe was aso pretty surprised Maul was alive, Obi can still be knighted for that.

Yeah, someone has it out for Obi-wan since he was pretty much defeated in "Lawless" having gone out to rescue his good friend and failed to do so while Mandalore caught fire as Maul was trying to have him captured. I don't think Ahsoka is likely to kill Maul. She isn't much of a part of the storyline they've got going although I think she may be reunited with the cadets eventually if they are still alive. The consequences of this arc are for Obi-wan's character and the fact we have an actual disaster on screen that may lead to a Republic invasion of Mandalore that'll make things worse. I'm close to that Republic atrocity.

Apparently Maul did not die in TPM, its lame but it is what it is. There is no way Maul died at the end of "Lawless". Sidious just killed Maul's apprentice. Savage's apparent character arc is a guy lifted from his villaige because he was trying to protect his brother who became a monster with little free will who repeatedly gets used. He dies with that spell lifted with his brother, with someone who wasn't just using him. I think Savage's lameness has been cleansed and he goes down as the tragic character be was always meant to be even though Maul sidelined him a bit. Ideas for finding Maul come down to what Talzin wanted which has not been revealed to us yet.

The Shadow Emperor and DavidIX like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know what the EU says on the matter, but from the films alone and what is established about the Jedi, I would think that Obi-Wan's ability to cope with Qui-Gon's death would earn him more points toward knighthood than killing someone. I mean, Anakin killed Dooku, rescued Palpatine and carried the unconscious Obi-Wan to safety, and yet Obi-Wan is a master and Anakin is not, presumably because of his conflicted emotions and volatility. Anakin gets a pat on the back for saving Palpatine and is commended for his heroism and putting a stop to Dooku, but nobody's like "hey, you killed a Sith! Instant promotion!" Nor do I think that should be the case.

Obi-Wan "killed" Maul. All that proves is that he's powerful, it doesn't mean that he would make a good Jedi. Obi-Wan letting go of his attachments to Qui-Gon and moving past his death maturely however I would think would earn him some major points.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    "I have other uses for you" is obviously a cop out because Dave Filoni just spent all this time (and energy) to bring him back and develop him as a character (which has been awesome). He's not going to kill him now. If Season 6 is green lit then I'm sure Dave and his writers will come up with an idea, but for now it's anyone's guess.

DavidIX likes this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not in favor of the assassin angle, Savage ain't no Ezio... ;)
    Building a criminal empire might be cool, if he hadn't been so noble/honorable towards Feral....

When they made him a monster, I expected him to fight that transformation internally, but they never touched upon it again until his dying breath. When he broke away from Ventress I thought we were onto something... I just didn't know it was Lotho Minor. :p

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know why Dave, in the IGN interview suggested the idea that Sidious might not keep him alive... It's pretty clear, "I'm not going to kill you." Unless they go the Venamis/semi-dead angle. But at this point I've been wrong the other seemingly 100 times I've suspected that there would be a link made between Maul's ability and Plagueis', so at this point I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dave: Why is Sidious keeping him alive, if he is…

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've always heard Obi-wan was knighted for defeating the first Sith to turn up in ages. Maybe I have those wires crossed. Anakin didn't defeat the first Sith to show up in ages. The films aren't anything deep with this. According to Qui-Gon, Obi-wan was already a skilled Jedi and deserved knighthood although at the time Qui-Gon wanted to open up that spot for Anakin he was sincere. Then he dies, Maul is defeated by Obi-wan. Yoda bestows knighthood on him and let him take Anakin as a Padawan. He becomes an accomplished Jedi rapidly.

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Seerow, Obi-Wan defeating Maul seems less significant than defeating Maul's replacement that did far more damage to the galaxy and would have continued to do so if not for Anakin. I'm just saying that defeating a Sith, while commendable and worthy of praise and celebration wasn't worth spit in Anakin making it to masterhood. If you are an order of peacekeepers/diplomats, I don't think your skill with a lightsaber is going to be the be all, end all decider. It's going to be a matter of your emotional maturity and commitment to the light side of the Force.

I mean, nobody really talks about it anymore. But back when AOTC came out, I remember people being all "OMG" when Coleman Trebor was killed by Jango. And "how could a Jedi Master suck so much as deflecting a couple blaster shots?" and all that. And I would not think that martial prowess would be as important as a lot of people assume it to be.

Some insist that Obi-Wan needs his kill back or that his knighthood is somehow undermined by Maul's survival. I would think that IU Obi-Wan doesn't have Maul's legs mounted on his wall and treat Maul like some big game animal to be slaughtered to stand as testament to his accomplishments and justify his position as a knight. It was a significant accomplishment but not the cornerstone (or at least I fell it should not be the cornerstone) of Obi-Wan's Jedi career.

9. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Oh man, Maul's already outlived his usefulness to Sidious Lucas (marketing for Ep1 3D), I highly doubt they're going to do much with him anymore.

It's just too perfect.

JackG likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    While initially (back then) I might have agreed that Obi-Wan was knighted for defeating Maul in combat, I have since come to believe he was knighted for overcoming his initial anger/hate after Qui-Gon's death. It may not have been uncontrolled lead to immersion in the dark side dark emotions, but it did fuel Obi-Wan - and helped, by "blinding" him, to be taken off guard by Maul's Force push.

While hanging in the pit, as indicated by the musical cue of the Force theme and reinforced by the novel, Obi-Wan calmed himself, reached for the Force and catapaulted himself to safety and the killing (!) of Maul.

In short, reaching for the Force in such extremities, reaching for the Light not the dark, was the trial Obi-Wan passed.

In my mind, the trials are not about "victory in a saber battle" or somesuch as some believe it to be, but victory over self.

V-2 and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TaradosGon.

Wook says that Maul took the place of Obi-wan's Jedi Trials and the Council was impressed he defeated an enemy not seen in ages.

The Jedi may be peace keepers, but the Sith are their enemy. Knighting someone for simply defeating an enemy and giving Obi-wan, Anakin against their better judgement is a good starting place for the Jedi order's fall. Okay, so Dooku has quite the wanted list. Nobody really talks about that after Anakin kills Dooku, its onto killing Grievous. Clearly there is more to knighting Obi-wan than just that since Qui-gon already saw him as being skilled, powerful, and a wiser man. I may be his emotional maturity that got him knighted after all. I don't think Obi-wan needs to finish Maul off myself. However, I'm expecting the rivalry to continue.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    As far as the 'purpose' I really have no idea LOL. Using Maul to prod Anakin a little further down the path was my first thought but I'm not married to it. I agree with a post above that this was a placeholder move. They probably don't know what they'll do with and just wanted to keep their options open.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Introducing The Zillo Maul! I just had to make it, lol.
    [​IMG]

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    that is hilarious

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm afraid I'll have nightmares about that...

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    It's disturbing how much it looks like it could be an actual "re-incarnation" of Maul.

17. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013

[​IMG]

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Unfortunately this is probably pretty much it. Say something with a lot of depth and potential, but just say it for no actual reason and move along. Sounds about right for TCW.

I've got it. Palpatine has been working on designing a new men's clothing line, and he thinks Maul would be the perfect model to wear it at Coruscant fashion shows.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe Sidious plans on making Maul the Horns of Palpatine after establishing the Empire. Maybe Maul can be turned into a superweapon of some kind. Like, maybe Palpatine can turn Maul into the Living Laser Lightsaber. Maybe Maul is Lord Nyax.

There's just so much potential.

20. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    This is too sexy..I've found my new wallpaper guys! Thank you... :,)

21. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Eys, that's a very kinky version. :D

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I think I know exactly what Sidious had in store for Maul: some serious S&M....
    Scrubbing & Mopping!

BigAl6ft6 and VanishingReality like this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I always assumed Sidious was going to use Maul for his intended purpose. A fanatically loyal and deadly assassin that can deal with Jedi easily.

Or he just freezes him in carbonite as a backup plan in case Anakin fails to turn.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  24. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The line is probably forshadowing Rebels.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You all know it.

He sends him out to whack Ahsoka Tano, for reasons best known unto himself. I dunno why, but people around here keep thinking Palps will have a special interest in doing this, so they must be right, right? So there it is. He sends him after her.

Later, Maul and Tano are locked in a vicious duel and totally focused on eachother, as such they neglect to notice where they are. They both fall into a carbon freeze machine just as it activates, and are frozen, still locked in combat.

Some time during the ST they get unfrozen and their battle continues anew, spreading preposterous amounts of collateral damage along the way. At some point before it is all over, both of them get their brains removed and installed in giant 300 foot tall robot avatars of themselves (which are still Force-sensitive for some reason) for the final rampage.

Disgusted by the idiocy of this story treatment, Abrams bails, but it is picked up by The Asylum which completes it, as Star Wars Episode VIII: MegaMaul vs UltraSoka.

V-2 likes this.