main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have the high ground?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by greedoshoots1st, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    I'm glad some people get it ;)

2. Agloras

Agloras Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    Can anyone tell me where the Falcon is in the film and where does Obi-wan push Anakin out of the path of lava during the duel? I've seen the movie twice but I haven't caught those moments. Thanks.

I think that the high ground scene was very nicely done. It shows you that Anakin had always overestimated himself and that he still tries to execute this difficult move (which he and Obi-Wan may have gone through during training) and fails. Anakin thought he was more powerful and still could do the move he may not have been able to do during training with Obi-Wan. Thus, Obi warns him in a way like "Don't do it, dude. You haven't learned it fully and couldn't do it before either. It's very dangerous, believe me.".

3. Calloway_of_light

Calloway_of_light Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2003
    I understand the point of the line. I found it disappointing simply because I fail to see what this has to do with Anakin's supposed weakness on a slope. He isn't trying to fight up the slope or down one he is merely trying to leap over a guy who is waiting to cut his legs out from under him. So all this supposed psychology Nic was reportedly using to craft the Duel is a load of baloney.

4. Admiral_AckBas

Admiral_AckBas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, this was about the weakest explanation of why Anakin would lose to Obi-wan GL could come up with. High ground never seemed to be a problem when Obi-wan flipped over Darth Maul in TPM. All you who think this is a fine explanation need to pull your tongue out of GL's *ss.

I can understand people not appreciating the scene, but really, why get so mad over this? Why can't people who disagree just state it like normal people instead of reverting to insults and name-calling?

5. MN_JEDI

MN_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2003
    Anakin may be more powerful, but Obi-Wan has more experience. It is an example of blind power vs. precision, calmness and experience.
    Thats how I see it anyway.

6. ChewbaccasUncleItchy

ChewbaccasUncleItchy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    With two equally matched fighters the smallest of advantages could be crucial. Also Obi had the moral highground, so it's a scene that's trying to work on multiple levels. If people weren't so concerned with who OWNS who and who would win in a fight soandso vs soandso I don't think this would be such a hot button issue. You of course had every right to be dissapointed but I actually thought it came off rather well. Anakin was overconfident to think his skills could make up for any disadvantage, it just fit so well with his character.

7. OOBIE-WANNA-DOOBIE

OOBIE-WANNA-DOOBIE Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Don't know if this has been discussed already, as I am too lazy too search for it. Here's my theory on the whole high ground thing: Obi-wan said it to trick Anakin. Obi knew that by goading Anakin that he had the higher ground, Anakin would try to gain the high ground over Obi-wan. In trying to gain advantage because of his arrogance, Anakin ended up giving to advatage to Obi-wan. In my humble opinion anyways...

8. PyrhanaJEDI

PyrhanaJEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2003
    HELLO? Star Wars People?...

This is what happened to Anakin at the end of AOTC, also. Anakin just won't listen and he loses a limb.

Obviously, a personal fault...

9. DarthSanantta

DarthSanantta Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    For me that phrase is more spiritual than phisical. Obi saying that he has the high ground means that he is in a higher level, spiritually speaking. Jedi over Sith, Good over Evil.

10. Ewoks_Rule_Haters

Ewoks_Rule_Haters Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Maybe it was a jab at Haydens earlier T.V. work Higher Ground. Or maybe it meant I have the strategic advantage. Which one could it be?. Im stumped.

11. darth_demius

darth_demius Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2005
    lol probably

12. HARVYWALLBANGER

HARVYWALLBANGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    I accept it, thats it. In TPM Darth maul had the high ground and Obi jumped over him, barely clearing him I might add, and still got the win. I would of liked it to be different, but oh well. I guess you can say since they trained so much together that this was something that you just don't do. It seemed like this was something Obi taught him in the past, but Anakin thought he was to powerfull to lisson anymore.

13. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    The line "i have the high ground" is fitting considering Yoda's duel as well. Yoda had lost the high ground in the senate duel with Palp and was smart enough to know he couldn't win. Anakin's arrogance would not allow him to see that he was at a disadvantage. Yoda was wise enough to know he couldn't win from his position and retreated. Anakin didn't and....Well you all know what happened.

14. YODAisWISE

YODAisWISE Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Ok, I have a question about the duel, did Anakin cut off his legs and his arm when he tried to flip in the air to Obi-Waun, or did Obi-Waun cut them off. I missed that part so I thought Anakin did it, but then a kid told me Obi-Waun did it, so now I'm confused. Can you please tell me what happened?

15. AHAMODE

AHAMODE Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Why would Anakin cut of his own legs?

16. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    It was a metaphor.

17. YODAisWISE

YODAisWISE Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    well on accident he might have cut them off with his lightsaber(since he left it on) when he was flipping, i missed the part so ya.

18. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Obi-wan: "It's over Anakin, I have the high ground."

Translation, I've won this fight. You're there and I'm here. You'd be foolish to try and attack me from this angle.

Vader: "You underestimate my power."

Translation, I'm sick of you thinking that you're better than me. I'll show you. I'm better than you. Better than everyone.

Obi-wan: "Don't do it Anakin."

Translation, don't be a dumbass.

We all know what happens next.

hahahahaha, i love those translations.

especialy "don't be a dumbass." That is hillarious given what happens next.

19. Darth_Ingenious

Darth_Ingenious Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2002
    Ok, I've got an issue with this scene.

Obi-Wan looks over and sees the opportunity to jump up on the lava bank. What was his intentions??

1) It was a fast paced lava stream and surely they would of fell off the lava fall.

2) To break up the pace of the fight and see what happens?

3) Knew he wasn't going to last much longer and wanted to get get the heck out of there?

4) Fight another day?

5) Sensed hew was going to kill Anakin just needed a better opportunity?

And lastly, did Obi-Wan really mean to lop off Ani's legs? Somehow I think he just wanted to disarm him and take his arm off and got an added bonus by leaving him 3 feet tall.

Anyone?

20. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    Obi Wan had the high ground in the sense that he was a jedi and was still good. Anakin was overconfident and there in lies his fault. So it was another "point of view" Obi Wan-ism...

21. JediMaster7299

JediMaster7299 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    After thinking this scene through many times, these are my observations as well as a take on what I've read so far:

The line itself was an accurate reflection of the situation. Obi Wan literally had the high ground, for no matter what Anakin tried, Obi Wan was going to defeat him. If Anakin simply jumped higher or further back Obi Wan could have shifted his position and still managed to cut down Anakin. If, as has been suggested, Anakin had decided to jump in front of Obi Wan then Obi could have force pushed him right back into the lava.

One point I read but never thought of was that Obi Wan had seen him make this move already which does give him an advantage, particularly the jump he made onto the platform only seconds earlier which was nearly identical to the one he made onto the bank.

I feel most people have been acurate in stating that Anakin made a rash decision that was influenced by his emotion/anger and perhaps still some inner conflict regarding his choices and concern for his wife.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, this was about the weakest explanation of why Anakin would lose to Obi-wan GL could come up with. High ground never seemed to be a problem when Obi-wan flipped over Darth Maul in TPM. All you who think this is a fine explanation need to pull your tongue out of GL's *ss.

You miss the irony of this scene. In TPM, Maul was surprised by Obi-wan's ability to get his butt out of the fire. Anakin thought that he could best Obi-wan, by jumping over him, but the Jedi Master sensed Anakin's intentions. And remembering how he dealt with Maul, he was prepared to cut Anakin off at the pass. Ergo, he didn't let himself be "wowed" by a super jump.

I understand the point of the line. I found it disappointing simply because I fail to see what this has to do with Anakin's supposed weakness on a slope. He isn't trying to fight up the slope or down one he is merely trying to leap over a guy who is waiting to cut his legs out from under him. So all this supposed psychology Nic was reportedly using to craft the Duel is a load of baloney.

Actually, I and others misunderstood what Gillard meant. We assumed that it was the fact that Anakin can't fight on a slope, that he's beaten. In reality, the weakness on a slope refers to the fact that he tries to jump over Obi-wan, but instead is cut down to size.

Obi-Wan looks over and sees the opportunity to jump up on the lava bank. What was his intentions??

1) It was a fast paced lava stream and surely they would of fell off the lava fall.

Yes.

2) To break up the pace of the fight and see what happens?

Yes. He didn't want to kill him, even though he knew it was inevitable.

3) Knew he wasn't going to last much longer and wanted to get get the heck out of there?

He needed some breathing room.

4) Fight another day?

Don't think so.

5) Sensed hew was going to kill Anakin just needed a better opportunity?

Nah, he just needed to back up and gain a chance to breath and prepare again.

And lastly, did Obi-Wan really mean to lop off Ani's legs? Somehow I think he just wanted to disarm him and take his arm off and got an added bonus by leaving him 3 feet tall.

Anyone?

The novelization paints it as Obi-wan accidently cut off the limbs. But Lucas paints it as intentional. After cutting the limbs off, Obi-wan starts forward to help him, but then stops himself.

23. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    High ground never seemed to be a problem when Obi-wan flipped over Darth Maul in TPM.

Which is EXACTLY why Obi-Wan says "Don't Try It." He's got the market cornered on that move and knows how to defeat it.

All you who think this is a fine explanation need to pull your tongue out of GL's *ss.

Noob[face_talk_hand]

24. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I think that seeing all forms of levitation was satanic. Also, when lightning goes out of the fingers of Palpatine, that was Satanic. Another Satanic thing was the buzz droids, cause only the power of the devil can make you stick to a space ship. also on the EpIII movie there was a satanic looking carpet that was looking like evil colors.

WOW! Someone is a little hypersensitive

25. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    After seeing the film for the 5th time today something occurred to me. When it get to the point in the duel where they are both floating on the lava and Anakin jumps on the same "float" as OB1 he tries to take off Anakins legs then.

Then after they go at it for a minute and OB1 sees a chance to go for the bank... then Anakin tries to take Ob1's legs off as he jumps to the bank.

Neither time are they able to do it. Why? Well the only difference between these attempts and the one that actually gets the job done is the fact that OB1 finally has the high ground

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.