main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I hesitate to ask.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Everton, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
  2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Ok.

This thread has now resulted in me falling off my chair with laughter.

*In* the office.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    If he gets a Ninja day, I want a ****ing Parrot day. People like parrots, and unlike Ninjas, parrots talk. :)

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    SQWARK! Pulsies wanna big ******* robots day! SQWARK!

5. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes, at the very least we have to have a Giant ****ing Robots day. We'd be cheating ourselves, and others, if we didn't.

6. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    It'd give people who like to swear and talk in CAPS a day to themselves. :)

And you know, you'd be like...teh queen-ruler of the day, Juuuli.

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Ninjas all over the world are threatening to de-cloak and go on strike over this gross injustice. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who are still riding a wave of popularity after their latest live action movie release, especially want Ninja Appreciation Day (though Mikey admittedly has fun with Talk like a Pirate Day).

Master Splinter, I believe, disapproves of the whole affair and - being ever the traditionalist - believes ninjas should remain hidden, loyal, and uncelebrated. On the other hand, Master Splinter confided to a friend just the other day that he looks dashing in an eye-patch.

To be fair, you didn't see them because they were ninjas. :rolleyes:

8. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    To those of you spouting random days, let me remind you that the Day of the Ninja is NOT just some random day. It is also something that I did not personally invent. It is a legitimate parody holiday recognized worldwide.

It is on the Earth Calendar (completely independent from myself or the originators of the holiday) as December 5th:

It also has a wikipedia article and an official website

It has a recognized logo:
    [image=http://dayoftheninja.com/dotnsml.gif]

It also has an "official" explanation:
    Ask a Ninja Special Delivery 11

Other support:
    Kotaku.com
    deviantART.com
    News Article 1
    News Article 2 (same article, different website)
    Urban Dictionary
    Pirates Versus Ninjas Calendar. Both Talk Like a Pirate Day and Day of the Ninja are represented

Now if you can find similar evidence of a preexisting holiday regarding talking like parrots and big robots with several independent systems agreeing on the day and the sources are not created by yourself or a party in direct communication with you (essentially prove the establishment of such a holiday without your influence in such establishment - NONE of the above is my doing, I just found the links) then by all means, the JC should consider such a holiday in the same vein as it already recognizes Talk Like a Pirate Day.

There is only ONE difference I can see between the Day of the Ninja and Talk Like a Pirate Day: the Day of the Ninja was first celebrated in 2003, Talk Like a Pirate Day was first celebrated in 1995 which makes the difference simply a matter of exposure. I bet that if the JC supported the Day of the Ninja, it would gain more widespread recognition and support. Until that occurs though, the JC is showing favoritism towards one randomly created holiday over another randomly created holiday. They are supposed to complelement one another: support of one over the other is wrong. What makes the one holiday legitimately recognized by the JC and the other treated in such mocking fashion if not a sign of inherent bias against Ninjas?

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    How about how no one here cares about Ninja Day except you and Ned? That's a difference.

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Lack of interest. People showed interest in a sports forum. Shockingly enough, we have one now.

Just because two people think something is a good idea doesn't mean there needs to be a board-wide event in the name of fairness.

...that's pretty much it.

If you want said holiday--show it through actions. Talk it up amongst the users. You don't have to make icons/banners, but you could find someone who's interested to do it. If on this coming December 5th there's a good amount of people talking about Ninjas and how cool/fun the day is, there's definitely a chance it could become an official JC event. Take the effort to lead such an event or at least find out if there's interest--the administration has no obligation to do that for you.

[edited in the name of diplomacy~! ...also, spelling.]

11. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Sometimes I can't tell if you're for real, or if you just do this because you like seeing other people get their panties in a twist arguing you. Which we are so eager to do, I have to admit.

Assuming you're for real, the JC is following a majority of its constituents that support Pirate day, whereas not nearly as many people support Ninja day. It's not 'anti-Ninja', it's just 'pro-majority of the JC.'

Assuming it's the 'people watching' factor, nicely played.

12. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    What about a day of the tentacle? It is not just a random day! It even has it's own video game AND we already have icons for it:
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/expandeduniverse/purple2.gif]
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/expandeduniverse/purple1.gif]

13. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Looks like Patrick from SpongeBob.

Everyone is correct. Pirate Day had a lot of genuine interest it in and so we moved forward with that. There is no bias or discrimination. We can certainly talk about new days to add in the future, but not on the reasoning that it's discriminating if we don't. I want a new day for the reasoning that a lot of users are interested in it. I don't want to be forced into discussions for new days because we'll be accused of being bias if we don't. So maybe if we move away from the discriminating and bias arguments, we can have more mature and progressive discussion.

14. Sith Bane

Sith Bane Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 14, 1999
    I'm afraid december 5th is already Sinterklaas. Has existed longer than Ninja day and I'm sure I can find just as much people in favor of that. Recognizing Christmas and not Sinterklaas is, especially since he's the basis for Santa Claus, an abomination I want out of this place!

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    xenu also has a Wikipedia entry and His own website. I think we should all have a "Hail Xenu!" day (and get sued).

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'd support a Ninja day. But I'm not willing to give up "talk like a pirate" day to get it. [face_not_talking]

17. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Actually I am biased against Ninjas. They try to look so tough and cultivate this mysterious aura about themselves, and carry on as if they're so noble and what not. False! Ninjas are assassins, not warriors. They sneak about at night in their black pajamas and murder people from a distance, or wound them with a ninja star and then go in for the kill. They are basically like mobster hitmen except they can do acrobatics and smoke less cigars. These are the "people" we want to honor? Outrageous. I would only support an Anti-Ninja Day.

18. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

Same here. I'd definitely support Ninja Day, but I happen to enjoy Talk Like A Pirate Day.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't think possibly adding a new day in the future would require removal of one that's already existing.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes, and I'll tell anyone who wants something new in these forums, we had to fight tooth and nail to get the Arena. It had been proposed many, many times before the last request thread. I had to win over a ton of users that were either skeptical, if not downright against a sports forum. It took a lot of time and effort, a lot of help from my friends, and what I would imagine was a visual ****storm in the MS to get it done.

Simply put, simply coming in and asking for something will never, ever guarantee that the admin are going to grant you your wish. You're putting up lengthy posts that actually translate to blah blah blah. The whole if there's a pirate day, there should be a ninja day argument isn't going to work. That's why the Arena request that was granted, finally worked where others had failed. The fact that there's a Amp, or Senate, or Sci-fi forums, so why can't I have a sports forum argument did not fly. It had nothing to stand on as a viable argument.

If you're really serious about this ninja day thing, I'd suggest you confer, via pm, with other users that may share your views on the idea. Get organized, have people that actually back up your argument, by offering theirs.

Just a suggestion. :)

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I have never heard the phrase "legitimate parody holiday." That's great.

22. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Edit: That's a little uncalled for.
    -Krystal

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Holy crap. Can we just get rid of Pirate Day, go back to regular holidays, and just end all this nonsense? Sheesh.

24. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I'll die before talk like a pirate day is taken away.

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    No. Nonsense is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.