main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I, Jedi," by Michael A. Stackpole [Bantam, 1998]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"I, Jedi," by Michael A. Stackpole [Bantam, 1998]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

62.4%
  2. 9

11.9%
  3. 8

11.4%
  4. 7

3.3%
  5. 6 (Average)

3.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.4%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmace7

darthmace7 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 15, 2003
    Best. EU. Ever.

2. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003

I enjoyed this book. The first person was a very interesting twist from the usual rote.

Corran's perspective on the events of the Jedi Academy were also interesting.

However, I say any person would not take so long to find their spouse. If my spouse went missing, I'd be on it pronto. I expected a few weeks to find her but the time line was months.

I liked the descriptions of how Corran used the Force differently from Luke and the others. Very interesting.

3. YODA_SITH

YODA_SITH Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I voted 9 but now that I think about it, it diffently needs a 10 I loved this book it had eveything you need in a star wars novel. Starfighter battles, lightsaber battles, battles with ones self, and a all around great story.

4. sircursealot

sircursealot Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2004
    8/10

Pretty good, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I particularly like reading about some of the stuff they do at the academy, and just how difficult it is to be a Jedi. Corran's first confrontation with Kun was quite cool as well.

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    10/10

Probably one of the Better Star Wars books.

6. AlliyahSkywalker

AlliyahSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2004
    10/10

I agree that the 1st person perspective was an interesting twist. Otherwise the retelling of the academy part would`ve been very boring, but Corrans unique outlook made it intersting again.
    I liked the inclusion of Brakiss. In later books he seemed to pop out of nowhere.
    Another thing I really liked was the humour. Apart from the droids you don`t find that in Star Wars novels too often. Just imagine Corran absorbing all the fire and energy of the explosion, feeling great and then finding himself naked, because his clothes didn`t make it.
    And Corrans overall development was interesting and compelling. He finally blended his two personas.

I didn`t like the character of Leonia Tavira. She didn`t seem to be very bright to me, though I liked the mystery surrounding her at first.

7. Jbrewster1012

Jbrewster1012 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    I gave it an 8. I really liked the first-person perspective. It's much different from the 3rd person that switches from plot to plot. Before I read this book, I wasn't sure that I wanted to because I knew it told about the events of the Jedi Academy and thought I would be bored because I had just read the Jedi Academy series. I was wrong though. It does tell some of the same events but they are from a different perspective and I didn't feel like I was reading about them for the 2nd time. I did think the first 50-75 pages were slow though and some parts between when Corran is at the academy and on his search for Mirax were slow. But overall, it was a good book.

8. Chiss_Imperial

Chiss_Imperial Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    A 10 for sure. Corran horn is a great character, a pilot and jedi, but still human. 1st person rockked, and he did a much better job than KJA at telling of the Academy, if only he wrote the JAT. I also much prefered his decription of correllia to the vey generic description givin in the correllian trilogy. my 2nd favourite EU after DFR.

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It was the first Stackpole novel I have read and it was very good.

A better piece of EU Lit!

The only thing i did not like is a lot of the Academy parts were things I had already read from the POV of Corran. I would have liked it more if Stackpole had added more things and events to the Academy which KJA never did.

It was a very good book and I enjoyed it.

I think for once, Luke was shown as he should be. Others may think he is wrong but in the end he proves them all he is the greatest and most powerful Jedi of all.

-Seldon

10. Thinine

Thinine Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2002
    10/10

My favorite Star Wars book, period. The insight it gives into Corran and being a Jedi are fantastic. Corran is my favorite EU character, and is second only to Luke for favorite overall SW character.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, awesome book. Stackpole really pulled off Corran being in the back of the events in the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy.

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    10/10.
    This shows that Stackpole is the best in 1st person. (It is showed again a few years later in Dark Glory War)
    Personally, I found it to be a superior point of view of the events of the JAT than the JAT itself, which I thought was good. One of the few Bantam SW novels that really stand out as a great novel.

wolf

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I thought Dark Glory War was written before that.

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    JT, my copy of DGW says March 2000. I believe you are thinking of Talion:Revenant. I think it was released in 97, and is in 1st person. (i've yet to read it)

wolf

15. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    10 I don't know about the always staying on the one character but it was very gooooooood.

16. Yzerman_the_Jedi

Yzerman_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2004
    Great We all like Corran Horn and in the 1st person point of view it makes stackpole seem like a god
    the book and no visable flaws purely fantastic

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Not only was this a great book which introduced a great new character of Elegos.
    But as it has been said, this book made JAT a better trilogy.

Some aspects of JAT, like the fall of Exar Kun were not really descibed too well...this book fixed things like that.

All in all a great novel.

-Seldon

18. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    8 Which is worth most of your 10s from me. I liked the 1st person and the take on JAT. The starfighter stuff was great and Corran on the bad side. Funny.

19. WWE_jedi

WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    this is where corsec training came in handy. 10/10
    Stackpole pulles it off again

20. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    only have like 15 pages left so i might as well be done and i give this book a 10/10 best book i have read in awhile

21. Jedi_Horn

Jedi_Horn Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    10/10

As you can tell by my user name I am a fan of Corran. He is in my eyes one of the best EU characters out there and I love how we get to see him transform from Rogue Squadron to the NJO from a cocky punk piolt to a Jedi master and in my opinion this book is the turning point for Mr. Horn. Stackpole has always been my favorit SW author and in this book he shows the world why. My favorit part of the book is when Corran is in the dog fight with RS and has to fly like he's one of the bad guys with out hurting any of his friends...just plan amazing.

22. TheHorrorNerd

TheHorrorNerd Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 18, 2002
    I give it a 9.

23. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to see Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy written from a different veiw. Would gladly read again.

24. Jedi_Master_Troz

Jedi_Master_Troz Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a picture of the Jedi Credit described in the various stories about Corran. PS I, Jedi would have to be my fave book in my collection.

25. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    My second favorite SW book ever, behind Tatooine Ghost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.