main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I, Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Wisdom_Of_Yoda, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wisdom_Of_Yoda

Wisdom_Of_Yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2001
    Hey, I have a question. Is I, Jedi going along with the usual Star Wars Novels History? Because I am only 90 pages or so into the book and it seems that the author wrote this book without knowing anything abou the jedi academy trilogy. I am not sure if I, Jedi was just written before the Jedi Academy Trilogy or Michael Stackpole just decided he didn't like the way Jedi Acadmey was going.

Could anyone enlighten me?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    As much as I hate the thing, it fits 100% with the Jedi Academy trilogy, but it's damned annoying the way Corran had to turn out to be the hero.

3. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    Remember, Corran was there under an assumed persona. None of the students knew who he really was. It's basicly the back-story of any one of the students from the Academy trilogy that was never elaborated on.

4. Darth_Ugabuga

Darth_Ugabuga Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    I like I, Jedi good read but yes Corran is made to be a god lol responsible for everything good that happens!

5. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    "Corran is made to be a god lol responsible for everything good that happens!"

Of course, Stackpole wrote the book. He did the same thing with the X-Wing series and in his NJO series. Stackpole seems incapable of writing any other way, or any other character. Just give Corran a lightsaber, a blaster, one clip and Stackpole could have him beat all the YV in one battle.

6. Doikk-Na-ts

Feb 20, 2002
    That's because Corran can do no wrong. Just ask him. [face_mischief]

7. Wisdom_Of_Yoda

Feb 19, 2001
    Ummm... You guys may be misunderstanding my question. I was asking if the Jedi Academy Trilogy was on the same time line as I, Jedi?

Thanks in advanced.

8. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    Yes, I could be wrong since its been a while, but if I remember right they skip some time the JA trilogy, thats the time Stackpole is writing about.

Its seems like Stackpole thinks Corran is the choosen one.

9. Wisdom_Of_Yoda

Feb 19, 2001
    Oh, Ok... because they keep on bringing up that Luke is "starting up" a Jedi Acadamey.

10. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Once you get farther into the book, you'll see some familiar scenes from the JAT, including the grotto hot spring, Gantoris' death, Kyp getting POed, etc.

11. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    as stated previously, it actually does fit in with the jat, it just doesn't focus on the same events/people. it's told from corran's perspective and he has a very differant view of what's going on, which i find to be rather interesting to compare with what is said in the JAT.
    (ps- i personally thought it was a great book :) )

12. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    I, Jedi is one of the few books I don't have... one of 3 of them I believe. Is it good or no?

13. Doikk-Na-ts

Feb 20, 2002
    Yes, yes. To Bib you listen!

14. Wisdom_Of_Yoda

Feb 19, 2001
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Considering I, Jedi was written in the first person, the JAT scenes were redesigned slightly to be shown through Corran's eyes. They still follow what Anderson set down. More over, they do not contradict what Anderson wrote as whenever possible the scenes read as much as they would in Dark Apprentice and Champions of the Force. But we do get even further into what was going on, things we didn't get to see.

16. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    Wisdom_Of_Yoda, I, Jedi was made to fit in the same exact timeline as the Jedi Academy Trilogy. As has been said, what Stackpole did is take one of the unnamed students and put Corran into that role. IIRC from the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Luke had to get permission from the Council to start an academy or, more precisely, to have a planet on which to put the academy. They gave him Yavin 4.

Jaeger, did you read Onslaught and Ruin? Corran does not defeat the entire YV regiment with the weapons you mention. In fact, both times he duels with one or two, he almost dies. Put four or five in the mix and he would have.

As for the whole "Corran is God" thing, keep in mind a couple of things. One, this IS from Corran's POV. We all tend to try to put ourselves in the best possible light quite often, even in our own heads. We don't like to admit that we aren't perfect, so we tend to rationalize certain actions and see things in a better way than other do sometimes. Corran is no different. Add to that the fact that he does have a big ego, and a book from his perspective at this point in his life is going to make him sound more important than he really may be in the grand scheme of things. We are all the center of our own stories, and we tend to make ourselves very important because we believe ourselves to be the main character. Corran at times takes this to the extreme, granted, but that also fits in with his character. In this the author is not at fault, since he has already established previously that Corran has a big ego and thinks a lot of himself and what he does. If the book had been written from the viewpoint of Tionne, for instance, we would have seen her take on a bigger role than we've seen her have so far. She might not have taken as much credit for the things that would happen, but her contributions would definitely be noted, whereas what Corran does at the Academy might be downplayed slightly. We wouldn't see as much ego in a book from Tionne's POV because she doesn't have an ego like Corran's. Anyway, I think I'm about to degenerate into incoherence (if I haven't already), so I'm going to stop while I can still string together a sentence and go to bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.