main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I just did a personal comparison between the new Panasonic 24p camera and the Canon XL1s

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spero

Spero Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Quick Stupid Question: Does the Sony DCR-VX2000 come withg frame mode like the XL1?

2. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Hey PixelMagic,

Did you use your own Mini-DV tapes or did the Panasonic rep take the tapes with him?

If you still have the tapes, you could still get some screengrabs. ;)

Later,

3. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Moi? Fired up? Never :)

*just kidding*

Seriously though I just keep laughing at NTSC in general. But thats just a thing, y'know. Never mind that.

I'm sure it's a gorgeous camera.

/Z

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    MasterZap, you hate NTSC. WE GET IT. Now move along, move along...

5. alphacentauri

alphacentauri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Master Zap!

Nice talk about the PAL!!
    I live in Holland! Just love PAL!!

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Yeah, I agree that PAL is better. But it won't always be. Sony and Panasonic are releasing pro-sumer HD Cameras in 2004. The rez on them is like 1200x1000 or something like that. Not FULL HD, but it is considered to be HD. I'll get the link to the info as soon as I can find it. Also Zap, I find your insight into such matters quite useful and informative, keep up the good work.

Oh, and I am afraid that I do not have access to the tapes that we filmed with. The tape belongs to the professional videographer that I assisted. But I will see him again Tuesday, so I'll see what I can do. We tried to capture the footage with firewire, but those stupid Dazzle cards are crap and it won't work. But now we've got Final Cut Pro up, so maybe it will work this time.

7. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Hmm.. Tell me more of this.. HD pro-sumer camera.. *waves hand like he thinks he's some kinda Jedi*

Something like that would be perfect.

8. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, I agree that PAL is better. But it won't always be. Sony and Panasonic are releasing pro-sumer HD Cameras in 2004

I never said it will always be, quite the contrary. My point was more that the most readily available technology *now* that would be the "easiest fit" for a 24P datastream would be the already existing 25P datastream of PAL.

HOWEVER, when I think about it, I think the problem lies in the CCD, it's hard (unless the CCD is super-resolution) to make a switchable resolution camera. So that is probably the reason.

And yes (waves hand) do tell me about the prosumer HD cams please!

/Z

9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Alright guys, I did a little searching, and I found what you've all been wanting. Here are screen grabs, AND fully unaltered DV clips straight out of the camera. This means no compression, other than what it does in-camera.....

Panasonic AG-DVX100 24p Screengrabs and Video Clips

For those of you interested in the prototype HD Prosumer Camcoder, check that info out here. You need to scroll down just a little bit to find it. It's the third camera on the page, right before the XL1. Apperantly, it shoots 1280x720 progressive. Awesome stuff.

Camera Reviews

10. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    According to that page, it looks like there's already some HD cameras out there. Granted, their price is prohibitive for fanfilm use, if you're purchasing, but not necessarily if you're renting.. MWAHAHAA!! There's a Panasonic model out there that shoots in full HD resolution, 1920x1080, with a 24p model coming out early next year. And that Viper camera he talks about.. can't wait to see the frame-grabs of that one!

11. MasterZap

Aug 11, 2002
    What I wonder is why the camera can't just record 24P as a 30P datastream, and when you replay it it goes faster, but just using "reinterpret footage" in premiere to "24" fixes it? Wouldn't that have been easier? Would save tape too ;)

/Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.