main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I just got done playing "Star Wars: Rebellion" for about 4 hours straight

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Drew_Atreides, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..and i've come to this conclusion:

"Rebellion" is an epic game..

You could truly play it for days on end and probably never get anywhere..

When the game first came out, i think i was too intimidated by it's complexity..

Today was the first time in about three years that i tried playing the game..

It's AWESOME, but boy, after four hours, you don't really have much to show for your work (except for the fact that i got General Dodonna killed)

2. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Rebellion, despite its many flaws, is a very addictive game. It's good for killing a few hours. Four hours is more than enough for me to beat the game on the default settings, though. Funny thing is I rarely ever actually use starships or ground units for assaults. I do all my work by sabotage. Nothing like taking out a whole fleet of Star Destroyers with a small team of commandos.

When I've been really board, I've had Luke fight Vader over and over again until his combat rating was something like 500. Strangely enough, even with such a high combat rating, he still couldn't beat an injured Vader.

3. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Dang straight it's complex. It took be three
    + years to beat the game!

4. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    If they made a Rebellion 2 with a few fixes and updates, it could an extremely good game.

As it is, I enjoy it very much, but a few things could have been better.

The tactical aspect for one. I wish the ship fighting had better deatil instead of cardboard with lights coming out of it.

Still, a very, very good game (and darn long if you don't speed it up).

5. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    They making a SW mod 4 homeworld which is good.
    Rebellion is a addictive game. I finished the rebels, almost done the empire

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I've played through it once as both the Rebellion and the Empire.

I loved it.

There is nothing better than building up HUGE fleets and totally whomping on the opposition. :D

7. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    The Death Star is a bit of an oddity as you can't use it in space battles. There's something a bit strange about seeing the Death Star flee from a Y-wing. Still, it's fun to build. I've had two of them at one point.

8. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    There was quite a long time waaaay back when I first got my computer when Rebellion (or Supremacy as it's called here) was the only good game I had. So I played it quite a lot.

There have been a lot of happy times. Like when I got Luke up to 1500 combat. That took time.

And lets not forget the time I sent my fleet of one Death Star, 10 Super Star Destroyers, 25 ISDs, 20 VSDs, 10 Interdictors and about 10 other ships (Dreadnaughts, Carracks etc) with a full troop and fighter compliment, with a highly skilled admiral, commander and general...

...Against 1 squadron of A-wings. :D

[face_devil] Mwahahahah.

9. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...see, i find it infinitely easier to play as the Empire as opposed to the Rebels..

Course, you have to worry more about uprisings and sudden inexplicable defections, but so long as you maintain your garrison requirements on each planet, those can be kept to a minimum...

Piett is my favourite "diplomatic envoy" in the game...

And i have a soft spot for captain Needa (i do my best to make sure he wins EVERY spacebattle that i can.. No apologies THIS time, Captain Needa :))

Geeze, it's like i've just discovered this game for the first time.. I LOVE it!

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Hour after hour I played this game with Connemara until I realised that she had a massive fleet headed toward my rebel base and prior to that she'd sunk my battle ship.

11. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Death Stars are fun. After I beat the game, I just when back to my saved file and started using it to blow up random planets just for fun.

Of course, they were the few remaining Rebel planets. [face_devil]

12. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    Rebellion 2 owuld be awesome wit the following:

1. Homeworld 2 engine

Thats right, license the Homeworld 2 engine when they finally finish it. use that for all the times you are in combat. and the ability to set up gravity wells, jump points, and actual strategy to the whole space combat. i think to be able to do a 'Thrawn Pincer' in the game would be worth it

2. More ships

If you are going to use the HW2 engine you might as well put in as many ships in as possible. every thing from SSDs to small transports and everything in between.

3. More commerce

the ability to build, use, and sell goods such as weapons and equipment would make an excellent model for the game. plus the ability to set the amount of micromanagment, from all to nothing would be great.

4. Actual mission structures

to have a mission every once and a while would make a huge difference, and give the game some dirrection. even if it is nothing but fetch and carry kind of stuff

there are many more i can go about, and i really wish that they would make a Rebellion 2

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Me I enjoyed it for the first few days. I loved the game but grew tired of it fast. Might have ti give another go sometime.

14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Darn you all! I just stayed up till 2:00 AM on a Rebellion marathon. I was trying to resist the urge to play it, but I just couldn't. I dominated the whole left half of the map as the Empire, built a massive fleet, then went Rebel hunting. I wiped them out. All of them.

15. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Nothing beats trying to use diplomacy on a planet over and over again, only to have them coninually side with the Rebels, then saying aloud to the computer monitor, "If you will not be turned, you will be... Destroyed!" and then sending a Death Star named "Happy Fun Ball" (you can name ships in that game), blowing up the planet, and then watching all the other Rebel-friendly planets in that system suddenly kiss your ass. Ah, it's a good feeling.

I had 3 death stars one time, and was systematically erradicating ALL rebel-friendly planets trying to flush out Mon Mothma. I'd blow up a planet, use diplomacy like crazy to make sure everyone realized I was the greatest guy in the world, then blow up another, diplomat again to remind everyone that I was only destroying Rebel-friendly planets, and do it again. It's very tough. Blowing up planets makes many planets side with you, but it also makes other planets feel much more afraid of you. But that strategy did work. Eventually caught the whore. I'm sure she'd give up in the movies too, had the Empire's force been so strong and they had caused many more deaths than that of alderaan by way of multiple death stars. :D

-Jomero

16. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I just love this game,I played this game like 500 times it is so cool :)

17. Bladecarver

Bladecarver Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    Yes Rebellion is an awesome game. My friend and I would sit at our desks across the street from each other and try to determine who the best stategist was. Now I think I will call him up and challenge him again soon.

18. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh! I love Rebellion. Sure, it doesn't have amazing graphics, but it's like a much more complex version of chess and you play it just for the strategy. :)

Since I bought it, I don't think there's been a year that went by in which I didn't play it at least once. Very addicting. o_O

19. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    And you thought there were no Rebellion players? :)

I've played Rebellion since it came out, and it truly is a unique RTS game. LEC's first and best RTS. Too bad the reviews slammed it... a sequal would be great, but LEC would never make the game.

Visit us at SWRebellion.com and join the discussion on our forums.

We support RebED, the Rebellion Editor, as well as all the changes to the change.

Visit today: http://www.swrebellion.com

20. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Started a new game and picked the Rebel side this time. There's nothing like sabotaging all of a planet's Imperial troops and having it and all nearby systems suddenly join my side. As usual, I'm having a heck of a time fishing Palpatine out of his little hole on Coruscant, though. Even 100 infiltrators can't seem to take out the planet's shield generators, and despite his 1300 combat rating, Luke still loses to the Emperor every time. Arg.

21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Just 4 hours?? Try 16 hours (restroom breaks excluded), then we'll talk. ;)

22. obi_two_kanathan

obi_two_kanathan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    I love rebellion. When I'm the empire, I always colonize an outer rim sector, then have one planet full of adv shipyards, one full of adv troop facilties, and another full of adv construction yards. I build up a massive fleet with tons of troops and send it over to the rebel controlled sectors. [face_devil]

Once, I had two fleets each with a deathstar, two SSDs, and a ton of normal SDs and fighters. The rebels didn't stand a chance. :D I later found out what happens if you blow up coruscant with the DS. :p

BTW, has anyone ever done a death star sabotage mission sucessfully? Or in that case, has anyone ever seen the computer build a death star?

23. StormtrooperVF101

StormtrooperVF101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2001
    I hate you guys!! The only Star Wars game that I really really want, but I can't have!

24. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Why not? Try your nearest computer stores used bin... or even ebay or something. If it gets desparate, try buying Supremacy - the UK version of it.

Rebellion I can play for months straight.. it is just an amazing game. Everyday... for an hour, two hours, somethings 8 hours or more. Plus when you use RebED, its a whole new game.

Want the galaxy all colonized? You got it... Diplomacy rush anyone? Playing with all Jedi is the best!

25. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    In my most recent game, I managed to get Luke up to 2000 combat rating, and roughly 500 in the diplomacy and espionage ratings. Yet he still couldn't abduct Vader and his success rate on diplomacy missions was around 30%. Strange...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.