main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I just got my copy of Star by Star through the mail yesterday!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ron corless, Oct 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    666 is the mark of the devil, right, but what is 616?

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    There are a few ancient Greek manuscripts of the book of Revelation in which the number is 616 instead of 666.

3. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    so enormously unfair is all I have to say..
    and ofcourse hope it's a good read!

4. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    AHHHHHHH 606 is 10 pages away from 616 AHHHHHHHHHHH and in one book, that is almost evil, AHHHHHHHHH

whopdy-friken-du

5. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Why is it that Canadians have to pay 14 dollars more than Americans.(not including the tax) I know that our money isn't worth as much as yours, but I can remember when the US price and the Canadian price difference was only a buck for paperbacks and four or five dollars for hardbacks.

40 dollars for a book is a bit steep. Must be nice to only have to pay twenty six dollars.

6. Empress_Arakay

Empress_Arakay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2000
    *jaw drops in unabashed envy* Oh well, it didn't happen to me, but at least it happened to someone kind enough to post spoilers! :) I guess I'll have to stick to my former plan of going to Borders during lunch period on Tuesday...*does sacred dance to her beloved junior/senior off-campus lunch privileges...*

And on a completely random note, which mss does 616 appear in? I'd love to see the look on my Greek and Modern Thought teachers' faces when I told them where I heard that! (My school's ultra-conservative...they don't take kindly to Star Wars, Harry Potter, science fiction in general, or me, coincidentally. :) )

7. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Those christians that don't like SF/F are just about as ignorant as Catholics were in the Middle ages to Reformation. Now before you start I'm a religious Catholic, I still think what they did in the Middle ages was not right.

SF/F only leads to bad things if you become absolutly obsessed with it. It is possible to be a fan and still be a christian.

8. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Why is it that Canadians have to pay 14 dollars more than Americans.(not including the tax) I know that our money isn't worth as much as yours, but I can remember when the US price and the Canadian price difference was only a buck for paperbacks and four or five dollars for hardbacks.

40 dollars for a book is a bit steep. Must be nice to only have to pay twenty six dollars.

Isn't it the same thing? After the exchange? I love going to Westminster near Vancouver, BC to pick up stuff. We have a mail box there. I live in WA state. Where in Canada do you live?

9. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    606! YAAAAAAAAY!

10. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I live in Ontario.

yeah I know the exchange and all, but a dollar to us Canadians is the same as a dollar to you Americans. You only have to pay 26 of yours, while we have to pay 40 of ours.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

$40 CDN = $25.40 US

But if you bought the book in the US with Canadian money, it would cost.... the same! About $40.00 :D

12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Empress Arakay, an entire family of Greek manuscripts has the reading "616" in Rev 13:18. The "Caesarian family" of texts (named after the region of Caesarea), as opposed to other textual families such as the Byzantine and the Alexandrian, all read "616". Most likely the variant "616" was created by a scribe who intentionally changed the number 666 (equivalent to the Greek name "Neron Caesar" written in Hebrew) to 616 (equivalent to the Latin name "Nero Caesar" written in Hebrew).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.