main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I just introduced someone to Star Wars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, May 10, 2014.

1. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Yanks, if you were bored by the first LOTR (it's the only one I sort of like, actually, if I'm in a rare mood), you'll really be thoroughly rendered catatonic by the other two. Make sure to have a one or two EpiPens nearby.

BigAl6ft6 and Yanksfan like this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    If you just show her ROTS it probably has everything she's looking for

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

Hopefully you will post about this as well. I would love to hear someone's first reaction to those films. Positive or Negative.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i love the lotr and hobbit movies. i even have the extended editions.

5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    This scene depicts them actually looking at our galaxy (which the millennium falcon appears to be heading towards).

[​IMG]

6. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    "I can't wait to see the other Star Wars movies (prequels)"

My gf's words a few days ago.

Tonight we began on the prequels. In the end she thought it was "ok" and "not as good as the last one (ROTJ, which is her favorite)"

I asked her what she felt about Jar Jar. She laughed a couple of times at his hijinks but she certainly didn't fall in love with the character. She definitely toned out and started to doze off during the many slow/talky moments of the movie.

Highlights:

*As soon as the movie started she wanted to know where C-3PO was (her favorite character).

*Her shock and sadness when Qui-Gonn Jinn was killed (she has a crush on Liam Neeson).

*Her excitement when Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul ("did he just cut him in half??")

*"That thing is so dangerous", referencing Darth Maul. First I've heard Darth Maul being referred to as a "Thing" [face_laugh]

*Her openly wondering if Obi-Wan was going to get with Padme when I had to remind her who was who.

*Her excitement when Queen Amidala revealed herself as not a decoy.

I could definitely tell that she wasn't enamored as she was with the earlier films. Like I said, it was hard keeping her away during the slow spots. However, she did enjoy the movie - more so than I do. Next: Attack of the Clones

7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    *"That thing is so dangerous"

this proves a point i was trying to make in another thread that maul didn't need to speak.

S2N2, Jarren_Lee-Saber and dolphin like this.
  8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

I always thought a moderate love triangle with Anakin/Obi Wan/Padme would've been a more effective way to have tension between Anakin and Obi Wan. And having his jealousy (even if it's misguided) be one of the things that drives Anakin to the Dark Side. The way they set up Anakin to be kinda obsessive/stalkerish in AOTC, it totally would've worked. *shrug*

dolphin likes this.
  9. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Do you really think this or am I missing something?

10. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

haha...that post belonged in another thread. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    This is a pretty sweet thread. Very entertaining getting to share in all the reactions of a first-time viewer. I'm lucky to be married to a fellow SW aficionado, but apart from watching the movies in their original releases (in theaters full of strangers who had never seen the films, either), I've never experienced the joy of seeing someone watching them for the first time. Keep the reactions coming, this is kind of delicious. =D=

12. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I too have done this. My friend had only seen a bit of Revenge of the Sith, so I showed him Star Wars (1977 version). He said it was much better executed that he would have thought and can't wait to see Empire and Jedi.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I think you started in the wrong order :D I've done this 4 times now and its always 1-6. Nice to see that she like TPM.

Really can't wait to see her LOTR reactions! (I like Middle Earth more than the GFFA) Are you showing her Theatrical or Extended editions?

14. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Theatrical. I dont think she can sit through the EE, no matter how good it is.

15. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    Cool, I think its great to share your passion with someone. While my fiance is very open minded, I just cant get her to watch Star Wars. She knows it, but all she knows about it was what she saw in the TV spots for the prequels, space battles and lightsabers, which, from her certain point of view, isnt really very inviting unless youre 7.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    hmmm. i say don't marry them then.

17. nitinblurayfan

nitinblurayfan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2012
    What baffles me is how many people in their twenties find the O.T outdated. One reply I got was "how do expect to watch this after something like Avatar?"

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  18. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    The effects may seem outdated for some perhaps, even tho I feel theyre holding up great, but the story can never be outdated, and the designs in the vein of classic 50s scifi and fairy tales can never grow old either

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I think what you've got on your hands there is a major taste deficit situation. With all due respect to their opinion, if someone thinks Avatar is superior to ANH and TESB, I would probably never bother discussing films with them ever again!

20. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Back away slowly and hope they never procreate?

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

Indeed! (and...Avatar compared to the OT?!?! just...ugh...) It seems by the standard implied by the above response encountered by nitinblurayfan, any movie made before the 2000s would be considered not worth watching. There goes the whole history of cinema! Pretty sad. :(

whostheBossk and MOC Yak Face like this.
  22. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I've never heard that.

In fact I'd argue that Avatar has lost alot of stickiness with audiences. I don't think the sequels will enjoy the same four-quandrant box office success the original had.

23. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Its Pocohantas with blue people. I think I mentioned it before, but the thing that sicks out in my mind most about going to see it was the good-ass chicken strips I had before the movie.

dolphin likes this.
  24. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    Oooooo...what condiments did you have with the strips? The theater's own special sauce? Mustard? Ketchup? I love chicken strips. :)

Has anyone else had the luxury of introducing someone to Star Wars? There are still alot of people out there who have never seen the OT.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Interesting that she picked up on that. They toyed with that during production, but eliminated any direct references in the final film. Anyways, great thread. Always nice to hear a fresh perspective on things. Not that it means all that much, but were these the Special Editions or the Theatrical versions?