main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I just introduced someone to Star Wars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, May 10, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The reason people were stuck with 4-6, 1-3 was because that's how the creator made the movies. I'd say that 99% of fans before May 2005 saw the movies out of order. That's not the fans fault. That one is on Lucas. That's all fans knew for 28 years.
    Why not do it to get another view of the Saga? Throw things you knew into a different light? Isn't that what you guys go on about with each new movie?
    Think you know everything there is to know about SW? Throw it into a new light and discuss.
    Wrong order? Have you even tried it? Until then, you can't say if it is wrong or not.
    You saw SW back in the 70's and 80's correct? You didn't think it was the wrong order then did you?

PymParticles and Sarge like this.
  2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I didn't see Star Wars in full until I was a full man grown --- in 2006 :D Saw ESB back in the 90s when I was a teenager, but I didn't bother to watch the rest of it until a decade later. That's why I'm a Saga fan instead of just an OOT fan. No nostalgia.
    But I wasn't talking about pre-2005 anyway. I'm talking about after the full Saga was released, most are still doing it backwards. I simply won't.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "It'll be a very different experience, because when Darth Vader walks into that spaceship with the princess, they're going to think, 'Oh my God, that's Anakin!' and they're gonna see Luke and think, 'Oh my God, that's his son!' And rather than a surprise when he says, 'I am your father,' it'll be like, 'Oh my God, finally he's told him!'"

--George Lucas, Guardian Unlimited.

"If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

It's a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

So what we have is that Lucas had ultimately intended for the films to be seen in a different context, when the six films were completed. He doesn't say that you couldn't view it OT to PT, but his intentions were made clear in both the interview and in his own commentary on the subject. The fact is, newer generations should be free to view the films I-IX. That their experiences should be different from the first generation and for me, that is important. If I ever haves children, I would show them the films I-IX so that they can have their own experiences different from mine.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So you won't give the new generation a chance to view it 4-6, 1-3? How laissez faire of you. o_O

No nostalgia. Of course. :rolleyes: Throwing that card.

We just expand the saga our way from our experiences. We don't need someone else to tell us how to experience something.

Then how do you know if it is bad or not? If you like it another way, why it is bad? Because it is different? Yay for differences! Kind of better than having everyone thinking and agreeing on the same thing.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Why not? Let them have their own experiences. It's a novel idea.

When I watch movies, I only have nostalgic feelings when it comes to certain aspects such as remembering when I first saw it. For instance, in two months I will sit down and watch "Home Alone" again for Christmas and the memories of when I first saw it will come back as they've done so often. Especially since this is the 25th anniversary. But when it comes to viewing movies, I don't always go with the order I first saw something. When I watch the "Friday The 13th" franchise, I don't start with the fifth film which is the first film that I ever saw. I start with the first film and go to through the ninth film, then I go to "Freddy Vs Jason" and then end with "Jason X" and the 2009 film. I don't ever watch a film series the same way that I first viewed it out of order, just to relive the exact same experience that I did the first time. This is also true for "A Nightmare On Elm Street" and the "Alien" franchise since I started with "Aliens" first. Or start with "Rocky III" first instead of "Rocky". I just don't see the need. Nostalgic memories and viewing habits are not that synonymous

Lucas already told us when he added, "Episode IV-A New Hope". It's the same way when you watch "The Godfather", you don't start with the second film.

I don't think it is bad either way. My feelings are that Lucas may not have said it, but he clearly intended it to be viewed I-VI. What does it hurt if a new generation sees it that way?

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What does it hurt for the new generation to see it the old way as well?
    Explain the release order and chronological order differences and let them choose. You said "The fact is, newer generations should be free to view the films I-IX. That their experiences should be different from the first generation and for me, that is important. If I ever haves children, I would show them the films I-IX so that they can have their own experiences different from mine." Let them choose, not force it on them.
    Does the Godfather bring in a new character halfway through the series like SW does? Luke in ANH.
    Dune is the only series comparable to SW. Or Doctor Who.
    With Dune, the main Character Paul Atreides is out of the picture in Children of Dune. Leto becomes a God and the time jump to the 4th novel.
    Doctor Who can start with the original Doctor in 1963 or with the 9th Doctor in 2005. You can start with any Doctor (I suppose but some companions do cross over Doctors) but those two places are the best to start.
    Heck, the Shannara series, you have a couple entry points as well.
    SW can be experienced however you want.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But again, how does it hurt starting it I-IX?

All sequels bring in new characters.

I never said otherwise. But my point is that there is nothing wrong with starting the story with Anakin, going to Luke and ending with Rey. Not to mention, you haven't really given a reason why future generation shouldn't start I-IX other than you want to stick it to Lucas.

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i prefer 4-6 and then 1-3 as the backstory. if you've gotten that far with whoever you're showing them to you watch 4-6 again and see how the story has changed. plus tcw and rebels if you can.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    A good friend of mine wants the see the original trilogy again before we go see TFA. Its been a pain in the ass, because she wants to see the original versions (we are purists or whatever the term it today) and I can't just give her a copy, so I've been dropboxing the original cuts to her. She has no desire to see the prequels, nor the Special Editions. I think she saw on of the prequels in the theater and hated it.

Most people who ask me about Star Wars know my preferences and come to me for advice because of that. I always tell them the same thing: theatricals of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi then if they want to see the PT, its on them but I won't watch them with you. Same for the SEs.

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    so your bias is their's by association? for shame!

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

They know I prefer the theatrical cuts, and most of my friends feel the same way independent of me. They come to me for the access. I'm like their dealer.

Davak24 and thejeditraitor like this.
  12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    All I can say is I walked out of TPM horribly disappointed and disenchanted, to the point I missed AoTC in the theater.
    Now look at me - a dedicated SAGA (that means including the PT) fan, even TPM (though that one has the most scenes I fast forward thru).

13. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Just let her see the PT and let her decide for herself if she likes the story, don't paint your OT bias into it. I hate it when OT fanboys cringe everytime a newbie wants to see the PT because they ineviotably freak out if their friend likes the PT more.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    What? We saw TPM after ROTJ. She fell asleep during certain parts and we never made it through AOTC

15. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    The correct order to see the films is 4-6. The End. Period.

lovelikewinter likes this.
  16. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    And people wonder why Star Wars fans are often on the "Most Annoying Fanbases" list, often in the top somewhere between 6-1.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Prequel fans/Saga fans/whatever are a huge part of that problem; it's not just OT fans/purists/whatever.

18. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Can I just say the worst fanbase is the UK Doctor Who fans? There is a total good old boys vibe there and it is really a class system in microcosm.

The OOT fans have never tried to get rid of the SEs, where some "Saga" fans cheer that the OOT is not available.

TX-20, smoothkaz and PymParticles like this.
  19. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    When introducing someone to SW, make sure you tell them to make their own canon, because no doubt, they will run into something they don't like. Because quite frankly, I would have gone insane long ago, unless I didn't have my personal canon.

20. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    PT/Saga fans (not me) are lashing out at OOT fans who have gone way too far, going after your personal taste in movies over the fact that you like the PT, SEs whatever, that's why some of them are lashing out at TFA, not that they should, but we get a lot more verbal abuse on the internet from so called "fans". Ands no it's not that we don't want the OOT to be unavailable, I'd love tot have it, because I don't remember all the changes from the original.

There have even been "fans" that posted on the Star Wars Facebook that if you like the SE's you are not a "true fan" Disney laid the smackdown on them for that.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They would if they could.

22. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I really don't see why we can't just have both?

TX-20 and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Okay, let's hear this one.

24. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Not dense enough.

25. Force Smuggler