main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi I just joined with my Fiance his username is Darth Wolf!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Angelwngs, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Angelwngs

Angelwngs Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2015
    Hi I am Angelwngs, the user that posts in this thread is Darth Wolf my Fiance. We both decided to join the forum together. We are both Star Wars Fans. We are especially excited for the new Star Wars Rebels show Season 2 coming on Saturday next week. I would like to know some good beginner Star Wars books for a Star Wars Fan to read. I have never read a Star Wars book in my life. I like the Star Wars movies and shows. That is why I call myself a Star Wars Fan.

2. Darth Wolf

Darth Wolf Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2015
    Would someone please back me up and tell her to start with the Darth Bane Trilogy. Im a fan of everthing Star Wars including all of the EU stuff. I also have an extensive light saber collection.

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Angelwngs and Darth Wolf! :)

It's cool that you sign up as a couple! :D

Darth Wolf, if you had used mind control, then you might have found some week minded suggesting Darth Bane. :p Ok, ok, you'll find some (strong minded) as well, since it's said that its a great trilogy, but I can't say it, because I haven't read it.

Angelwngs, there are tons of good books, comics and even great FanFictions around. My first book was the one about the Original Trilogy (loved it) and later on the X-Wing series (great, but never got far sadly) and I love all the kinds of encyclopedias (there are some nice ones). My suggestion is: Visit our Literature board (there you'll get a good hint which books are good and which one can be put a bit down on your read-to list), then read the summary on the back of the books and find the one you think is the most interesting one. That takes some time. If you like to start right away, I'd visit wookipedia (lots to read there) or simply go to a RL book store and ask for the best selling or most popular SW book (if they really give you one of the not-so-famous ones or look at you with a what's-she-talking face, then you know that it's not a good book store :p and your fiance will help you to get a best selling/popular one for sure).

Have fun here and while looking for the right book to start! :D

4. Angelwngs

Angelwngs Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2015
    I will probably just borrow one of the many star wars books my Fiance has.

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    ^Best idea! :D

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Welcome. Congrats on signing up. That's such a big life-defining step to take and we could not be happier for you both. Oh, and about the engagement, as well.

Ewok Poet and Pensivia like this.
  7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Welcome to you both! As for joining together, that's an excellent idea...my hubby is an active JCF'er as well (though we did not join exactly at the same time):)

Have fun enjoying the boards!

8. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    welcome to the boards.

Start with Shadows of the Empire. It's set between ESB and ROTJ. It's a fun read.

Any questions please feel free to ask

9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Welcome to both of you!

I'm an avid reader, too. If you had asked me last year, I, too, would have said to read about Bane. Gotta say, though, now that the EU is Legends, my feeling is don't waste your time.

That being said, come to the Literature Forum and you'll find folks voicing both sides of that very argument.

10. Darth Wolf

Darth Wolf Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have to respectfully disagree with not reading the Legends material I mean it is still a huge part of the star wars universe even if disney disagrees plus it just has better stories and writing then most of the canon books that have come out so far. Although I have enjoyed the new line. Of Mavel comics that is now out and very much looking forward to the one on Lando.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome Darth Wolf Angelwngs I think the best "beginner" books would be to read the official movie novelizations of the PT and the OT. There is a lot of good background information in them, and as far as I know are still considered canon.

12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    That's what's great about this place. We all love Star Wars and, even though we have different opinions, we can come together as friends.

I'm sure the Canon stuff will get much larger. My only objection is that it's a tangent that can confuse the non-initiated. There's already folks here who have some pretty severe reactions to any mention of EU or Legends. Best for new folks to just leave it be and go with what's available, IMO.

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Welcome to the council forums.