main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I knew all along it had to be a mistake!:C-3PO

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Old_Brown_Shoe, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    "I knew all along it had to be a mistake," claims C-3PO, strapped to Chewie while the latter is about to make his displeasure known to the neck of Lando Calrissian. He then orders his companions to trust Lando.

What the heck is 3PO talking about? I'd assumed (after I found out what he was saying) that he was referring to what he saw in the control room where he was shot, but I don't know what could be there that would clear Lando. Besides the shooting, there is nothing in the movie that would indicate he saw anything else that the others hadn't seen, and it seems like there's no reason for him to rise to Lando's defense. Unless, of course, he's just trying to avoid further damage in armed conflict, or has fallen for Calrissian's powerful charms. Any ideas, or other comments on a scene that, at least for me, is one of the funniest in the 3PO repertoire? (part of it is the delivery, part of it is the non-sequitorial nature of his extraneous ramblings in an otherwise serious scene, and part of it is the situation; poor 3PO scolding Chewie and flailing his one good arm in indignation)

2. starwarsismyally

starwarsismyally Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2003
    well what shot c-3po was a stormtrooper, which would show that lando was working for them at the time and would be a good reason to leave

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, but a protocol droid is designed to be trustworthy and loyal to sentient beings. It could very well be that Threepio was only following his programming.

4. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    True, EV, it might be programming, but he can hold grudges ("I can't abide those Jawas! Disgusting creatures!").

3PO, as far as we know, has no way of definately knowing who's side Lando is on. Maybe he was swayed by Lando's actions at the Carbon Freezing chamber and in the hallway, disarming the stormtroopers. He's awfully quick to trust, though.

5. BigWilly

BigWilly Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2003
    i always thought it meant that for a brief time 3po thought that Lando was working for empire and then when lando helped the rebels escape he knew he was wrong

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    doesnt the scene go:

Lando's bodyguards ambush the stormtroopers holding Chewie and Leia hostage. The bodyguards take away the stormtroopers and Lando remains by himself and starts loosening chewies bondings.

Leia: What are you doing?

Lando: We're getting out of here.

3P0: And you're alone? Had to be a mistake!

thats how i always thought it went. Lando had all these guards take away the troopers but tells Leia that they're going to escape, but without any guards/protection.

7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    3PO would have seen Lando with Vader when Han was frozen, and heard Lando when he confirmed that Han was in perfect hibernation

8. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    I think 3PO assumed he and his companions were to be held captive and turned over to Vader. When Lando uncuffed Chewie and they went to try and save Han, 3PO "realized" he was mistaken.

9. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    Zombie: I thought he said the same thing, until I got the Annotated Screenplays book. Enunciate, 3PO! :p

10. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Who would win at arm wrestling, 3PO or Data?

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Data, unfortunately. 3PO is a weakling. Data kicked a klingon's ass.

also, I'm deeply ashamed of knowing that [face_blush]

12. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Who would win at arm wrestling, 3PO or Data?

There's a "This or that" thread somewhere...

13. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Data, unfortunately. 3PO is a weakling. Data kicked a klingon's ass.

Yeah. IG-88 or Guri, on the other hand... ;)

14. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    There's a "This or that" thread somewhere...

Yeah, somewhere...

15. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
  16. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    Ack! I've been threadjacked!

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, you have. Damn school. Damn work. Can't wait till this semester is over. Then I'll be here a lot more often. [face_devil]

Anyways, take all of this ST stuff to another thread.

Perhaps he judges things on a case by case basis? If this was Lando's first act of mistrust (Stormies on Bespin) which would cause distrust in anyone. However, Lando freed them, so perhaps Threepio's logic programming kicked in and figured that it was just a fluke, or perhaps Lando had no choice in the matter. Unless Lando freeing them was a trap that they would encounter later, there could be no other option than to trust Lando (at the moment).

18. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Haven't you ever watched a mystery movie and said... "I knew it" when the big twist was revealed in the end? You really didn't know it, but you still said it.

19. endangeredsp

endangeredsp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2003
    Threepio was probably thinking like I thought growing up watching these movies. I don't know why, but I never thought of him as a trader from when they first met at the landing dock. His character was just too likable. And when he turned around and tried to help again after he turned them in, I thought the same, "He couldn't have kept going.... good for him, I knew he wasn't all that bad."

I think Threepio (and me too) knew "there was still good in him," just like Luke knew there was still good in his father.

20. Old_Brown_Shoe

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm warming to endangeredsp's idea, but I'm not completely satisfied yet. C-3PO might just be a terminal optimist. Anyone else?

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think Threepio's just a coward and was willing to stick his head in the sand and go along with whoever promised him the quickest way out of there, whether they were telling the truth or not.

P.S. Off-topic, Data would lay the smack down on any of those guys. Data smacks down Borg. I [face_love] Data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.