main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthFloyd, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    This was just posted on the OSWCC boards...I'd be using a face icon right now, but there's not one with a smile big enough!

This was just posted on the Classic Horror Film Board by David Colton, editor of USA TODAY:

Original Star Wars back: Han Solo shoots first! (Again...) We're reporting tomorrow that Lucas is releasing the three ORIGINAL Star Wars films -- without the digital tweaks and effects -- on DVD after all. And, once again, Han Solo will be shown shooting first.

I had a bit of this wrong in the original posting, so lemme try again:

-- As we all know, in the original STAR WARS, Han Solo pulls his gun and shoots Greedo in the Cantina scene.

-- When the film was restored and digitally tweaked for a new theatrical run, Lucas added a moment where Greedo fires first, misses, and then Solo shoots Greedo. As if it was self-defense.

-- Fans objected, and when the film hit DVD in 2004, Lucas tweaked it yet AGAIN, and this time Solo and Greedo shot simultaneously.

-- In the upcoming DVD (due in September), the original scene is back. Greedo warns about Jabba, Solo tries to wave him off and then pulls his gun and shoots Greedo dead.

By the way, the story says the transfer of the 'original' version will not be as pristine and scrubbed as the restored DVDs. In fact, at one point there was talk the originals no longer existed.

Anyhow, once we publish (in USA TODAY), tomorrow, I'll post the entire story.

2. Jo-Nich

Jo-Nich Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2005
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

I smell a great September costume event! :D

3. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    I just found out about this myself from a frantic Matt Smith who called me in a state of hyper excitedness! Needless to say I was right there with him. I can't wait to get my hands on these. At last, I no longer need to worry about wearing out my video copies of the old THX widescreen release!!! Who knew that Lucas would cave in? But I guess when they told him how much they would make from us old school fans....;)

4. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    The original Ewok song shall be resurrected! No more poorly scored Zamfir music to ruin the celecbration of victory!

I have been avenged....LOL!

5. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    YES!! The orginal Ewok song lives!

Yub nub
    eee chop yub nub
    ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene
    g'noop dock fling oh ah
    Yah wah
    eee chop yah wah
    ah toe meet toe pee-chee keene
    g'noop dock fling oh ah
    Coatee chah tu yub nub
    coatee chah tu yahwah
    coatee chah tu glowah
    allay loo ta nuv
    Glowah
    eee chop glowah
    ya glowah pee chu nee foam
    ah toot dee awe goon daa
    Coatee cha tu goo (Yub nub!)
    coatee cha tu doo (Yahwah!)
    coatee cha tu too (Ya chaa!)
    allay loo ta nuv
    allay loo ta nuv
    allay loo ta nuv
    Glowah
    eee chop glowah
    ya glowah pee chu nee foam
    ah toot dee awe goon daa
    Allay loo ta nuv

6. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    Macarron Chacarron?

~ Travis

7. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    WOOHOO!!! Now at least I don't have to try to get a copy from a friend. I can have my own!!!!

8. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    The ONLY thing that sucks is that they're supposedly going to be sold individually by film in 2 disc sets. Each set has one disc of the Original film, and one disc of the special revised ultimate edition.

9. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Doesn't it suck, that for years we waited for Star Wars DVDs to come out, and then once they did, there is a new version every 10 minutes?

And then on top of that, HD-DVD is just about here. Will we have to get ANOTHER copy in HD? The answer is yes.....sadly we will.

10. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    Yes, yes we will. And you know why? Because we are George Lucas' bitches! :)

11. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    [face_money_eyes]
    :eek:
    [face_worried]
    :_|

Hangs head in shame...
    [face_beatup] (I think this one says it best)

At least I know that I wouldn't have my current copies if they hadn't been such bitches and said the originals didn't exist. I TOLD YOU GUYS THEY WERE LYING!!!

12. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Cmon, did you really think they would just throw away the originals? No. They have been sitting on an ILM hard drive since 1994.
    Since it is part of pop culture, I'm sure the original negatives are stored in a salt mine, or at Iron Mountain.

I bet they said the originals didn't exist, as a statement to the general population. Ya know, Joe and Jane Smith see an article in USA Today, read it, and now assume that the Ultra super duper special mega special edition is the only one, and go about their day. Meanwhile, some of the people that frequent these boards, are ready to catch a plane to San Francisco, lightsaber in hand.

13. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    You forgot the stop to walmart to get the real working lightsaber...

14. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Over at Wired.com they are running a story about the OOT on DVD. Here are some other editions they would like to see. I thought it was funny.

The Anyone-Shoots-First Edition
    Do you want Han or Greedo to shoot first? Using the angle feature on your DVD, you get to choose! Not only that, you get to decide who shoots first in any battle in the series. Make the stormtroopers shoot first at Leia! Make the Millennium Falcon shoot first at the TIE fighters! Make Alderaan shoot first at the Death Star! Have long, involved arguments on message boards about which is better!

The All-Wampa Edition
    Some people are still disappointed that they're never going to see the planned scene in The Empire Strikes Back where wampas invade the Rebel base. Well, this edition gives you that and then some. Every single scene has one or more wampas in it, including a wampa enjoying bubble tea in the cantina. You'll meet Red Twelve, the lovable wampa pilot who crashes into the Death Star trench when he's distracted by what he thinks is a delicious tauntaun corpse. It's actually just a cannon.

The 8-Year-Old Edition
    One of the reasons thirtysomethings get so pissy about Lucas' crimes against continuity is that what they really want is the original sense of wonder, joy and possibility that the movie instilled in them before a deadening, crushing world sucked it right back out again. This edition comes with a brain probe that turns you into an 8-year-old again, at least mentally. You'll watch the entire movie with your mouth wide open, then you'll run around the house making lightsaber noises during the credits. As an added bonus, if you apply the probe twice, you'll turn into a 4-year-old, which will allow you to enjoy the jokes in The Phantom Menace.

The Just-Better-Effects Edition
    This edition redoes all the special effects -- every single one throughout the entire series, using the best technology available, applied by the guys who did the Lord of the Rings movies. Nothing else is touched. No dialogue is changed, no scenes are added, no new characters are included. Can you imagine how much Star Wars fanatics will love this one? They'll be standing in line outside every place in town that sells DVDs, dressed in Jedi robes and elaborate rancor costumes. What a bunch of hard-core geeks. I'd better preorder my copy now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.