main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV I know it's blasphemy but....

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Keela, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keela

Keela Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2005
    Can't wait for STO!! W00t!

Welcome to our updated 'Guide to what we know about Star Trek: Online'. The guide has been written to reflect only what has been confirmed as a current design feature in the game, by the developers themselves through interviews, community posts and other methods. Though it may include a little speculation on our part, it is more a guide to the game in its current state and is subject to change as it will be updated as we get new information or when there is a change. This is not an alternative to the official FAQ and we won't be repeating every little detail, it's a chance for you to find out some further information about the contents of the FAQ and the structure of the game as it currently stands.

Playable races
    -Analytical
    -Versatile
    -Aggressive
    Available Professions
    -Flight Control
    -Engineering/Ops
    -Tactical/Security
    -Science
    -Medical
    -Command
    Storyline, missions and setting
    Player versus Player
    Starships
    Player death and ship destruction
    Skill, rank progression and uniforms
    -Experience
    -Skill
    -Ranks
    -Uniforms
    LCARS - The interface
    The Holodeck
    Miscellaneous

Playable races

There will be one faction available to play at launch, with seven playable races to choose from, separated across three distinct categories that will affect your characters ability, aptitude and progression. Each race will have unique skills open to them, but will also share abilities with others in their class. It's not expected that any race will be at a significant disadvantage to another, but your choice of character combined with profession could well affect how well you progress through your career.

The 'analytical' races

Vulcans
    While externally similar to Humans (the chief exceptions being the Vulcans' notably pointy ears and arched eyebrows), Vulcan anatomy differs radically. For instance, their heart is where a Human's liver would normally be, and beats several hundred times per minute, while their blood is copper-based and distinctly green in colour.

Vulcans are widely known for their suppression of emotions and application of logic upon any situation that they encounter. A founding planet of the Federation, Vulcan has many representatives in Starfleet.

Bolians
    Bolians are distinguished by a bifurcating (cartilaginous) ridge running vertically along their heads and bodies. They also have cartilaginous lining on their tongues that allows them to consume foods not normally palatable by many Federation races, including strong acids. Their skin tone is generally blue, some may have dark blue bands on the head. Bolian blood is blue in colour. Most Bolians are completely bald. However, there have been rare appearances of Bolians with hair, as some have even been known to wear a toupee, it remains unknown if any Bolians can actually grow hair.

The 'versatile' races

Humans
    Humans are bilaterally symmetrical bipeds who are descended from primates and have an average lifespan of about 150 years. Skin colour, eye colour, blood type, facial structures, hair colour and hair type vary considerably between individuals and helps to make every single Human distinct looking from the next.

Compared to many other races, Humans are not the strongest of species, but that is not to say they are not resilient. They can survive with one lung or kidney (they have two of each normally), and surprisingly they can go days without water and weeks without food due to their bodies ability to conserve water and live off stored fat.

Trill (unjoined)
    The Trill are a humanoid species from the planet Trill, distinguished by a profusion of spots along the body. A small proportion of the Trill population co-exists with a sentient symbiotic organism known as a symbiont inside their bodies. The resulting joined Trill have personalities which are a synthesis of the two beings. Many Trill are citizens of the United Federation of Planets.

On average, only 300 symbionts are available for hosting each year and therefore the majority of Tril

2. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    What the heck is a ST game without Klingons?

3. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
    In all seriousness Star Trek sucks.

4. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    you really know how to endear yourself to people, don't you revan?

5. JediMasterRevan

JediMasterRevan Jedi Youngling star 4

May 18, 2004
  6. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Well then Revan, there's no need for you to comment further here...why not let those of us who do like it enjoy that without the negative comments.

7. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Well obviously the ridicously boring Klingons will be the first expansion pack. But I digress, had it not been for my experience with Star Wars Galaxies I would be very excited about what has been stated here. The possibilities are...fascinating. Im not too wild about the aging thing though. Actually I hate that but it is a unique idea as far as I know.

It would be interesting to see if we all played and worked toward getting a ship what we could accomplish.

8. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I know what you mean about the Galaxies thing. I don't think there was ever a bigger letdown in the history of the world. As there have been very few MMORPGs that I can stay away from for too long, I will probably try this one too. Depending on the actual release date as City of Villians, D&D Online, and LOTR Online are all due out in the next year. But if some of us decide to play, we should all join on the same server and get a ship together. I can play either a scottish engineer or a vulcan security officer. Hopefully there will be more races added someday since the Klingons have the coolest ships and weapons.

As an aside, Star Trek 25th Anniversary is one of my favorite all-time games while most Star Wars video games unfortunately suck pretty hard. Thankfully there was KOTOR to redeem the face of SW gaming.

9. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Klingons = :rolleyes: imo

10. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    while i'm not the biggest fan of star trek, i don't think it sucks. i just don't think it's as good as star wars, but if this was somethin we all did as a fan force, i'd be willin to play, or if there was a decent sized group of us. i'd play and work towards the group goal of gettin a ship and conquering the galaxy :-D.

11. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Can I be part of the Q Continuum?

12. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    i would like to be a rear admiral....

13. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    If by Q or Rear Admiral you mean an Ensign than yes, you can.

14. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
  15. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    "...conquering the galaxy" is not reeeeeeally the Federation way..I think perhaps you missed the point of Star Trek somewhere Jankarakkarakka dear. ;)

16. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Screw the prime directive. Let's take over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.