main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I Know There Are Things About The Force That They're Not Telling Me"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Yodas_Got_Bed_Head, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    "He could actually save people from death?" ... "Is it possible to learn this power?"

Later on:

"I know there are things about the Force they're not telling me."

See the pattern?

2. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Cool. So I'm not the only one watching SW at all hours of the night!
    [face_laugh]

3. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    First off, there are some people that do heed the warnings just as Luke did which is why he refused to give in to the Dark Side. The only time the Jedi warned Anakin about the Dark Side is when Yoda gave that "fear is the path to the Dark Side" speech but it was so vague that Anakin didn't understand what it meant. Second, all Obi-wan says to Anakin is, "Your focusing on the negative. Be mindful of your thoughts" but it doesn't say anything about the Dark Side and besides, if Obi-wan did warn Anakin about the Dark Side, then Darth Vader wouldn't have existed, now would it? Lastly, Anakin only showed remorse for killing the Tuskens because he realised that he went too far, not because he knew he was using the Dark Side and he didn't care enough to realize that Palpatine was lying to him all those years and that he might be lying to him again about having the power to save Padme.

4. JediCleric

JediCleric Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Anakin had regularly demonstrated a larger general understanding of the force and one's potential through such understanding.

Because of this knowledge and (of course) Anakin's own erred pursuit of power (via the known prophecy of his supremacy), Anakin knew he was not trusted with information that could otherwise serve to help him - not to mention the Order itself.

Of course Sidious exploited this error of the Jedi Order to his advantage.

Had Anakin been trained properly (in general terms - as I am not bashing Obi-Wan specifically), an exploitation of such a design would not have succeeded.

But in the end, as his original mentor Qui-Gon, Anakin came to understand the truth on his own and that truth helped save him.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Some people do, you're right. And some people don't.

There's ten years between when Anakin is made a Padawan to when we see him as an experienced Padawan. Plenty of time for Obi-wan to teach him of that.

See above.

Because Anakin let his emotions carry him through, instead of heeding Obi-wan's teachings.

The dark side never helps. And the Jedi cannot cheat death which Qui-gon says to Yoda and Yoda tells Luke. It cannot be done for others. Only for one's self and that's only to retain one's identity as a corporeal/incorporeal ghost. Palpatine told Anakin a story which made the boy question if the Jedi were hiding something from him. But they weren't.

6. JediCleric

JediCleric Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Hiding may be a strong word but by virtue of Anakin's denial of the rank of Master (and all priveleges therein) the Jedi Order were most definitely keeping Anakin from certain knowledge that he otherwise already knew had to exist.

7. Illuminated

Illuminated Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Very well said, I think possibly Yoda maybe the only Master that is capable of knowing all sides to the force which is why he was easily able to block the Emperor and Dooku's lightening bolts.

8. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    A while back (after reading the Dark Lord novel), I thought this as well. Also, I think it mentions Anakin's dreams and hints at Palpatine being responsible. However, I think it falls under what Sinister's post states about his bad dreams coming from his bad/dark deeds.

9. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    LOL. So poor ickle Anakin wasn't told about the mean old dark side and thats why he went bad.

PUHLEASE!

Anakin was a Jedi for twenty years. Of course he knew about the Dark Side. His view of it just became conflicted as he listened to Sidious too much and ignored the advice of the Jedi - because he was greedy.

10. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    IMO

Anakin has felt for a long time that he could be more powerful. He felt that the Jedi were holding him back on purpose. The fact that they didn't trust him and made sure he knew it didn't help matters. Then there's Palpatine telling him that he would be great, greater than all the Jedi. He felt that the council knew this and would withhold information to keep it from happening. Once he was on the council he felt that he'd be part of thier little click and they would have to tell him everything. But they didn't make him a master and then talked about him behind his back.

When he goes to Yoda for advice Yoda doesn't tell him anything new but tells him to let go. That's the best advice one of the greatest Jedi masters the galaxy has ever known can give me? He's full of it. He's lying! Lying because he doesn't want to share his knowlege with me.

If we go by EU, including the novelization of RotS, the Jedi have information that only masters are allowed to see, including Sith holocrons that contain ancient Sith wisdom and knowlege.

11. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Well yes I obviously think that the original Jedi were flawed in their handling of Anakin. To embrace someone into your group but only half-*** it is a big mistake-what were they thinking? That advice Yoda gave him about not grieving over the death of a loved one, yeah right, he can do a lot better than that. Grieving is a natural process for someone you will be (maybe eternally) separated from. I mean Yoda could have at least thrown him a bone, like saying, "Its not the easiest path but it's the right one and you will end up together in the end" or something to that effect.

It doesn't matter anyway, because the Force had bigger plans for balance which went way over the Sith, the Jedi, and even Anakin's head until the very end. He went from a primarily selfish (I must keep her) love for Padme to probably a more deep rooted form of missing her over the next 20+ years to a pure unconditional love for his son that resulted in the loss of Vader's life but the gain of his soul. It's just sad that Anakin's family had to be the casualty of it all-he suffered quite a bit and ended up being a martyr.

And in regards to the above comment, I don't think he fell for greed (or just for greed). I think power and adrenaline appealed to him, just as say skydiving or race car driving does to some people, but that doesn't make them bad. The mistake the Jedi made was treating Anakin like a little kid and an outsider all along, and I'm sure that made him feel crappy. Compound that with Palpatine's manipulation and the guy was holding on to Padme that much more desperately. When he lost Padme (supposedly because of something he did) he just came unraveled and spent the next 20 plus years running from himself because to be Anakin and face up to the failures of same was too painful.

12. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    As one of the above posters said, they dreams weren't likely "sent"....Anakin just completely misinterpreted them. It may well have been a "warning" from the Force itself, telling him that if he continues down his current path, "this" will be the result. But thanks to the nebulous nature of dreams and of forseeing the future (and his own self-absorption) Anakin just doesn't "get" it. The thought barely even occurs to him that maybe he needs to change, or that he could possibly be the cause of her death. And even when Yoda tells him what he must do (easier said than done, certainly), he barely even considers the notion.

He was just too wrapped up in himself to understand.

13. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    I believe that Anakin's dreams were just a possible future - "Always in motion is the future."

Outside of the temporal realm, everything is happening at once; here and now; in the moment (hence Qui-Gon's insistence to Obi-Wan that this is where his concentration should be). Ergo, in the eternal realm, where 'time' does not exist, that possible future has already 'happened'.

However, it is one possible future in a realm of infinite possibilities, and therefore Anakin has a choice of which of those 'futures' he wishes to create.

Unfortunately, the choices he makes are based on his fear of that future and, inevitably, he creates it. The result of such choice-making is the basis for Yoda's lesson: "You must learn to let goof everything you fear to lose."

So in answer to your question, ROTSFan, I disagree with your husband's theory. I believe that it is Anakin who creates the dream himself, and then creates that future through his fear of it.

-JR :)

14. ROTSFan

Jul 25, 2006
    Yes, the tragic self-fulfilling prophecy.

I still feel sorry for Anakin, he tried so hard to prevent it. For Yoda's part, he should have finished his statement: "Let go of everything you fear to lose..." with "the tighter you hold on, the greater chance it will be lost" or something to that effect

15. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought it was 13 years.

17. ROTSFan

Jul 25, 2006

Yeah really....his daughter was wise. But those words were spoken a little bit too late to get through to her dad and save her mom

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It wouldn't matter if Yoda told him that the harder he tries, the worst it'll get. Anakin had to figure it out for himself, because he does not like what it is that Yoda says. Anakin wants to inflict a measure of control and to trust fate, it was not within his capability. He turns to Yoda for help and finds nothing that satisfies his sense of control. That's why he takes Palpatine's words to heart, because they can give him what he wants. Control.

19. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    My bad. Still, my point stands.

20. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    And herein lies the rub.
    It's not just about control, it's about trust, too:

"Obi-Wan and the Jedi [b]don't trust me[/b]."

[i]-- Anakin Skywalker, Revenge of the Sith, 2005[/i][hr][/blockquote]

[blockquote][hr]MACE: It's very dangerous, putting them together. I don't think the boy can handle it. [b]I don't trust him[/b].

OBI-WAN: With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One? Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?

MACE: So the prophecy says.

YODA: [b]A prophecy . . . that misread could have been[/b].

OBI-WAN: He will not let me down. He never has.

YODA: [b]I hope right you are[/b].

[i]-- Revenge of the Sith, 2005[/i][hr][/blockquote]

Whatever the motives behind it, Palpatine shows trust in Anakin where the Jedi do not. And that has some effect on Anakin and the choices that he makes (NB: I am not relieving Anakin of responsibility for his actions here, merely stating that the trust has an effect on his choices).

The problem with Yoda's advice to Anakin - about learning to let go of everything he fears to lose - is not the advice per se (it is excellent advice), it is that it is not said with any love; it does not come from a place of love.

Yoda does not trust Anakin; without trust there cannot be love; without love it is merely advice that Anakin is less likely to trust himself.

There is an irony in the fact that Anakin's seeking advice from Yoda, is based on his fear of a future. And the way in which Yoda's advice is administered, is based on HIS original fear of a future too:

[blockquote][hr]"The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, grave danger [b]I fear[/b] in his training."

[i]-- Master Yoda, The Phantom Menace, 1999[/i][hr][/blockquote]

And we all know what fear leads to...

21. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Problem is though, the Jedi can't trust Anakin. Palpatine is stirring the pot. His relationship with Anakin is all based upon manipulation and turning Anakin against the Jedi. If Anakin didnt listen to Sidious and wasn't so greedy then the Jedi would have trusted him!

The jedi gave Anakin loads of opportunites to prove himself and he failed at every turn - protecting Padme, spying on Palpatine, not being a master, staying in the council chambers....

22. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Actually, he did an OK job of protecting Padme and spying on Palpatine. Not being a Master was mostly a non-issue, because none of them expected him to be a Master by that point. He also did everything the Jedi asked of him and more during the Clone Wars, but if anything was looked down upon by his fellow Jedi for being a "great warrior" when "wars not make one great."

Certainly he had plenty of his own failings. But the fact remains that the Council and the Jedi as a whole basically used him without trusting him, and ignored the very obvious problems he was having. It might've made a huge difference if at some point someone -besides- Obi-Wan pulled Anakin aside and said, "Hey Anakin, are you OK? You've seemed a little stressed out lately and I was worried about you (or something to that effect)."

I mean Yoda himself felt Anakin in great pain and suffering...but did he ever bother to follow up on it? If Anakin was indeed the Chosen One, would it not stand to reason that maybe he should be handled a little differently? He doesn't have to necessarily be special (which is what the Jedi were afraid of making him feel...at least more than he already did), but an unorthodox student often requires unorthodox teaching to be successful. The Jedi were blind to this fact, though.

It all rolls back to something I've said before: The Jedi pushed Anakin away by being too detached. They had reached the point where simple human connections were almost unfathomable to them. They simply couldn't understand Anakin and his attachments and roiling emotions any more than Anakin could understand or achieve their level of detachment and calm. So it looked like their solution was "ignore it and he'll just learn on his own in time" or something to that effect.

23. OBIWAN-JR

Oct 25, 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, MS, but the quote of Yoda's that I posted above, comes before Palpatine has started stirring the pot with regard to Anakin, does it not....?

This is Qui-Gon's initial take on Anakin:

"You should be proud of your son. He gives without any thought of reward. [...] The Force is unusally strong with him, that much is clear."

[i]-- Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace, 1999[/i][hr][/blockquote]

And here is Yoda's:

[blockquote][hr]"Clouded, this boy's future is."

"The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, grave danger I fear in his training."

[i]-- Master Yoda, The Phantom Menace, 1999[/i][hr][/blockquote]

Qui-Gon's take on Anakin is based in the [b]here and now[/b].
    Yoda's is based on his [b]future[/b].**

Qui-Gon is prepared to trust in Anakin, because he sees who he is, here and now, instead of who he MIGHT become in the future. When Anakin comes to the Council he is the innocent boy, unaffected by Palpatine, who gives with no thought of reward, and yet the Jedi don't trust him, based on who he MIGHT become in the future.

The problem is not that the Jedi CAN'T trust him, it's that they WON'T trust him in the first place.

**Interesting point to note: It is Yoda himself who points out in AOTC that the dark side's clouding of everything results in the future being impossible to see, and yet the Jedi Master's initial opinions of Anakin are made based on his reading of his future...

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Though, to be fair, Anakin's future would be clouded any other time, because of the nature of his life at this point. He can go either way to either side and it can happen at the drop of a hat. There were too many different diverging paths that led to a specific moment and it is that moment that is clouded above all others.

25. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Anakin was just flapping his gums, speaking before he thought it through. Anakin wants power. And he'd rather turn to the darkside in order to attain that power because it's the only thing he feels he can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.