main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I know this has been asked a hundred times before, but I need a definitive answer

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord_Of_Deadside, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Of_Deadside

Lord_Of_Deadside Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    How many of the stormtroopers in the OT are clones? I assume none since the clones must have died out before the OT and none of the stormtroopers' voices were re-done by Temuera Morrison on the dvds, but I have a feeling that I'm wrong about that. Could someone clear this up for me, with some evidence to back them up if possible? Thanks.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    **Groans**

The Imperial government incorporated both clones and recruits/draftees into the Stormtrooper ranks. As for how many Stormies are clones is unknown and the same can be said for how many stormies are recruits/draftees is likewise unknown.

Do keep in mind, that just because none of the Stormies in the OT were Fett clones (ala voice), that does not mean that they were not in fact clones. The Empire could've/did use other hosts for the clone templete. Some of that was taken from the EU and some of it is just a hyphothsis based on the dvds, so take it as you will. Disgard what you do or do not like or add to it if you wish. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The current figure LFL works with, I believe, is something like 70/30 clones/recruits.

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    In the frame of the films (since this is a film forum) All of them are clones, perhaps not all of Jango's, but they are all clones. There has been multiple quotes from Lucas about this, more recently on the DVD commentaries. Take a look around in this forum, and you'll see them quoted in many threads just like this one.

5. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Sith Magician is correct.

Take a look around in this forum, and you'll see them quoted in many threads just like this one.

Better yet, refer to the source material. :)

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    But they're not all clones of Jango.
    If that were so, Luke and Han would've been caught in the Detention Area as they sound nothing like Jango.
    Lucas backs this up.
    As the Empire grew larger and rapidly expanded, more clones were needed at greater rates, so other great warriors were cloned. None came close to Jango however.

EU info stating recruits came from assumed info that predated AotC even though even before modern-day EU, there were many rumors hinting at clones.

7. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
  8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    All of them.

9. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The only reason that clones would be useful is cost savings. If everyone is the same, then you only need to produce one set of armor, one set of pants, one set of boots, one set of shirts, one helmet size, etc.

If you have fifteen diffrent clones of fifteen diffrent people, then you are paying for fifteen versions of armor, fifteen boot sizes, etc. In addition, you're paying for the birth, training, housing, and feeding of these guys for ten useless years.

If you're goint to do that, it makes more sense to let individual citizens join up, then train and equip them for a fraction of the cost.

GL says they're clones because that somehow makes killing them alright with the ratings board. Makes it more "kid friendly", and that's the only reason.

10. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    and that's the only reason.

Yeahhh... I guess you're right...

Wait no! You forgot that whole pesky 'They'll take any order without question' thing... You know total complete loyalty. Which was why they were made in the first place. See, with clones, you don't have Ozzel's disobeying orders cause they want to.
    But way to sling mud at George! :D

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    then train and equip them for a fraction of the cost.

It'd cost the same, plus you don't have to pay clones. And Lucas has said since '81 that the Stormies are clones...

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> The only reason that clones would be useful is cost savings.<<

Actually, that's the main benefit from recruits.

Which do you think is more cost-efficient?

Paying for food, boarding/general accomodations, education for someone for ten years?

Or only paying for those things for a year or two during traiing/boot camp?

Clothing and armor size variances wouldn't be much of a cost issue, since you're buying in bulk anyways.

(Not to mention we know there are eventually multiple templates of clones by the time of the Empire besides Jango's according to Lucas, so any slight benefit from that is lost anyways)

13. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Very similar to offshore outsourcing. I digress.

Another benefit of clones is retention. Clones bitch less, do more and would die before they left the ranks.

14. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Can I add a question to this thread since mine is so closely related to this guys? Did the Empire still rely on Fett clones from Kamino to draft into their army?

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Which do you think is more cost-efficient?

Clones. Once you have them, you have them, no ongoing costs apart from food and equipment, no annual leave, no retirement, no recruiting campaigns, no vetting process of testing recruits.

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    But you're spending a helluva lot of money to 'grow' a soldier, one who is used as cannon fodder anyways. Where is the sense of spending millions for one soldier only to have him be wasted on a whim?

WOuldn't it be better if the Empire also used regular recruits/draftees into the Stormtrooper ranks to take some of the deaths as well? I mean, I think you're overestimating the cost it takes to pay the draftees/recruits....one recruit's annual pay and leave is nothing compared tot he cost of having to grow one...

17. DARTHJOSHSAN

DARTHJOSHSAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    the only storm troper i know who is a clone of jungo is the one in ANH when c-3po and r2d2 are in the control room and a group of them walk in

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The stormies are clones, most of which were created from new genetic material. After Jango dies, they have to use a new genetic source.

19. Darth_Monarch

Darth_Monarch Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2004
    <<But you're spending a helluva lot of money to 'grow' a soldier, one who is used as cannon fodder anyways. Where is the sense of spending millions for one soldier only to have him be wasted on a whim?

WOuldn't it be better if the Empire also used regular recruits/draftees into the Stormtrooper ranks to take some of the deaths as well? I mean, I think you're overestimating the cost it takes to pay the draftees/recruits....one recruit's annual pay and leave is nothing compared tot he cost of having to grow one...>>

I think you're overestimating the cost of the clones, which is of course fictional. :D Taking reality into a fantasy film is useless. They're all clones. In the fantasy, the Empire has a billions of worlds to tax, the clone cost is nothing. They have both recruits for the navy and clones for the army. They can afford both, the Emperor just wants loyal troopers who can keep an eye on the recruits and turn them to sludge should the recruits turn on him.

20. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Taking reality into a fantasy film is useless. They're all clones.

Exactly, and answer me this, what was the point of the whole setup of AotC, showing Palpatine taking his place as Emperor and building his army only to change things by the OT?

Lucas was painting the picture, the Stormies are clones, it was his intent in those scenes in AotC. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Please just accept it.

21. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    'Can I add a question to this thread since mine is so closely related to this guys? Did the Empire still rely on Fett clones from Kamino to draft into their army?'

I already answered that. Read my first post. Some may be from Fett but not all, otherwise Luke and Han's disguises in ANH would have never worked.

Costing etc aside, I also explained the number one reason why clones are best. Total, unwavering loyalty. They're born that way, raised that way, and taught that way. A recruit isn't brainwashed nearly as well as someone who's just naturally (and I use the term loosely) born loyal. A clone won't worry about his family or what's right or wrong, or what's best for the mission.
    However, as was shown in AotC, you'll still need people to lead them. So if you're hellbent on the recruit idea, you can say that the troopers specifically mentioned as recruits in the EU were recruited to lead the platoons *shrug*
    And obviously the ranking officers aren't clones.

Hyperspace Spoilers:

And it'll be seen it RotS that clones can be given names like Cody, Thire and Blye were.

22. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    So why are the Clone Wars spoken of as a thing from a bygone day if they are still technically in full swing?

23. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    After Jango dies, they have to use a new genetic source.

And the only available was the janitor, played by Steve Buscemi.

24. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Steve Buscemi. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time.

*gazes off, lost in thought*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.