main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY I Know This Is Off Topic...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 14, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
  2. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    IKTIOT but I ran across a local Star Wars (and sports) podcast. I was looking at the Rec Bar's Facebook to see what new games they had and what the burger of the month was, and I saw they were promoting an appearance by "The Force Sports Podcast". I haven't been able to give it a listen yet but it's nice that there's a local Star Wars podcast (even if it has some sports mixed in).
    https://www.facebook.com/forcesportspod/?fref=mentions

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I have been thinking about me and my relationship to fandom lately. While I am not leaving the LGA, I am going to shift my franchise allegiance. I am walking away from Star Wars. I will make an announcement on these boards on Easter. Which is this Sunday. Just in case you wanted to look at it on the calendar-- and maybe write in "Jammies's new Nerd Jam revealed."

I mean, I have been a fan of the Warz for over 30 years, and on these boards since 1999-- it was time for me to start looking at another nerd home. I am going to always have the Force with me; but I just need something new to read, to model, to cosplay, to fan fic, to RPG, etc. I think I found my new home too, in this other franchise.

Which is good, because remember: "no matter where you go, there you are."

jedimika likes this.
  4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I've been thinking a lot about this too Jammies. 40 years! (for me) of fandom is quite a run and as I reach middle age I find my interests changing as well. After you make your announcement THIS SUNDAY I'll follow it with mine since I don't want to steal your thunder. Who knows...maybe our new fandoms will align and we'll usher in a new era for the LGA.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I can't wait any longer. I'm too excited about moving on to my next fandom...SPORTS! SPORTS are so much more socially acceptable. Geekdom is the strongest it has ever been but it will never be as accepted as SPORTS. Looking at it there really won't mean much of mental shift for me. Both have a huge community filled with fans and haters both. There's always something to (over)analyze and argue about.
    -With Star Wars we're happy with a Celebration every couple of years. SPORTS has playoffs EVERY YEAR.
    -There are more SPORTS bars than Star Wars bars
    -Like getting together with your community at a con once a month or so? With SPORTS you can get together WEEKLY (or more).
    -Like Star Wars video games? SPORTS has video games.
    -Like Star Wars movie quotes? SPORTS has movie quotes (Caddyshack, Bull Durham)
    -Celebrities? SPORTS has it covered
    -Podcasts? SPORTS has it covered.
    -Drama with hirings and firings? Covered.
    -Cosplay? SPORTS has it covered with everything from face paint to full costumes to just putting on a SPORT jersey and cosplaying as your favorite player.
    -Fan memorabilia? Covered (in fact with a larger market of fans the SPORTS memorabilia sitting in your basement has a better chance of finding a new home when you need to make room for even more swag)
    -Competition with Star Wars miniature or card games? Fantasy SPORTS Leagues have you covered. Analyze stats and build your best team from what you have available.

The more I think about it I wonder why I didn't make the switch before. Join me in my new fandom.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm so happy for you! And, as soon as i figure out how to hotlink images-- you are going to be happy for me too.

(I wonder if SPORTS have arguments over stupid stuff too?)

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Well, it has been fun hasn't it? Huh Star Wars? Yeah.. it has. But. It's time for me to move on. We will allways have the 80s, and those EU book filled 90s, and the years at the turn of the century where i defended your Episodes Uno, Dos, and Three. But your future is with a younger generation, and mine is with a slicker, smarter franchise.

Time for me to change into my Blue Blazer, and join with Buckaroo Bonzai!
    [​IMG]
    "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"
    Is the best film of all time. OF ALL TIME! I don't know why I didn't leave Star Warts sooner. This film, or should I say Meta-Film-Empire has it all!

Its got cool ships!
    [​IMG]
    And cool trucks!
    [​IMG]
    In fact, I know what model kit I'm using as an Entry for Wonderfest this year!
    [​IMG]
    You like video games? Well, so do I! Just no dumb Star Wars for me anymore-- only the pure mind stimulating adventure fun of the worlds only rock and roll brain surgeon kung fu time traveling dimension hopping Hong Kong Cavalier: Buckaroo Banzai!
    [​IMG]
    Why wait for Battlefront 3, when you know you are just going to be disapointed? But look above! Text! What is the power of graphics engines next to the power of the WORDS! Just type your way to a new adventure with Buckaroo!
    Speeking of text, join me on the first monday of the odd months for the new Buckaroo Banzai Book Club for a deep dive into the EU of Buckaroo!
    [​IMG]
    We start with the graphic novel "Return of the Screw," it's like Return of the Jedi but better! and with Screws!

I hope you all, my friends of the LGA, can see how awesome Buckaroo is- and will walk (to awesome end credits music) with me away from the Warz and toward Banzai!
    [​IMG]

8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    And when you do,don't forget to CosPlay!
    Me? I'm stitching me some sweet Chaps to go with my 10 gallon hat; I'm going as Jersey at BansaiCon this year. But you can allways take off that Enro dress shirt, put on your coat, and go as Perfect Tommy
    [​IMG]
    Yum! Or just ware the tee shirts
    [​IMG]
    Yes sir ree! As you can see, this franchise has it all! It even has an RPG and tabletop minis! All of this and an easy to understand level of canon! So Monkey Boy! Laugh while you can, but join with me and John BigBootee as we go to Planet 10 by way of the Eight Dimension!

And remember:
    [​IMG]
    love,
    Jammies
    April 1st, 2018

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Truly a worthy subject for your new affections Jammies. Yes, the costume design is spectacular. I'll bring my BB tie in comics to book club (really) and we can watch some SPORTS at the pizza place after and share our new fandoms.

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    'Ey Banzai! Take a look at cha Gurlfriend!"

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  12. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Both of you are idiots. :)

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thank you.

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi gang.

Looking for any Star Wars Podcast recommendations. Right now I have two: Jedi Journals on this site, and an X-wing podcast called Scum and Villainy. I tried Colider's Jedi Council; but it really is just a YouTube show with an audio rip ("look here at this picture' is not helpful over radio). As long as the hosts are not actual nazi's; i'll give it a try.

Jammies

LGA podcast? o_O

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I've followed David Collins from his Star Wars Oxygen show to his new podcast "The Soundtrack Show". It's about music but he makes the subject so approachable for a non music person. Of course there's a lot of Star Wars and John Williams. Great host, great show.

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Thanks Boss.
    David has a really nice narration voice! I am used to his conversational voice, and his voice acting-- but the narrative oration he uses on his new podcast is really good. As in, if we ever get a Star Wars museum I want him to go the audio tour (with Tom Kane).

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    This makes me happier than I thought possible.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/sdcc-2018-the-clone-wars-to-return

Coming to the future Disney streaming service. Clone Wars:The Lost Missions is what drove me to get my first Roku and Netflix in the first place so there's no doubt I will be adding Disney streaming when it's available.

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I know right?!!!
    I got all the feels!

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Billy Dee is back!
    Billy Dee Billy Dee Billy Dee!

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    They were just keeping us in suspense, waiting for the right time for the reveal.

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I knew we should have gone with Louisville Space Force instead of Galactic Alliance.

Relin and Yoda_Jammies like this.
  22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    How great was Star Wars Resistance!?

Finally we see the Incom T-85 X-wing! And in New Republic livery! I think it is cool anyway. Per the lore, the New Republic was so pleased with the new T-85, they dumped their old T-80 X-wings onto warehouses where General Organa picked them up for her Resistance. So while the T-80 Xwings of The Force Awakens looks super cool and modern to us, to Poe and Black Squadron they are like old Chevys.

So that was the first 4 minutes of the show. I loved the rest of the hour also :)
    How about you?

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sorry; I ment T-70, not T-80. The X-wings in TFA were T-70s. Gosh I am so dumb sometimes.

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Enjoyed it. Didn't think I would like the animation style but I did. Lots of color. Did you see they mentioned the "refresher"? heh. I like that it's set 6 months before TFA. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the cast/characters. Especially Griff the old cranky ex-imperial.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    :mad:Toxic Fandom keeps us from having nice things. Windig comic cancelled.