I like JW, but he is starting to confuse his works!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Yuuzhanvong1000, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have just returned from seeing Harry Potter 2 and may I say I am in a state of SHOCK from what I heard. It seems that JW has lost his mind. Trust me, I'm a big fan of his but I felt my self lose faith as Harry Potter chased Draco through the Quidditch pits with a pounding rhythm on the backround that seemed like a distorted Coruscant chase. Also I noted that the last scene with Draco's father sounded like JW's evil theme from the prequels (Like when Boba holds Jango's helmet in the arena, which should have had Fett's ESB theme instead.). However, this film confusion is also in Episode 2 as can be heard in Yoda and the Younglings. I always thought that it could have been torn straight from HP.
  2. DarthLefty Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah, i was disapointed too. however, it ispossible that filmakers aren't giving JW much to work with. maybe he feels all the movies are starting to feel the same, and that doesn't inspire much creativity or originality. it's possible...
  3. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    There were a lot of complaints that the two scores (Episode II and the first Harry Potter) sounded a lot alike.

If you're a musician or a composer, though, sometimes you have favorite patterns and scales to use. Maybe that's what JW did here?
  4. DarthLefty Jedi Master

star 2
    RidingMyCaroselOnYou: Perhaps you didn't reeeeally listen to the trench part of the Quitich match. it's a blatant rip off of the AOTC. see my previous post for my theory.
  5. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    As I said, I've never listened to the Harry Potter soundtracks.. just throwing in a composer's input.
  6. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Like most composers, JW has sound-periods. Most of his works that come from the same time period sound pretty alike. This first hit me when I saw Minority Report after viewing AOTC. The soundtrack has the almost exact same feeling to it.
    Now, since JW is working on so many soundtracks at the same time, it´s no wonder that he borrows from his own works. This is what composers do when they don´t have time to be groundbreaking!

In 2005, I´m sure you will notice that EpIII and the new Indiana Jones-film will have quite similar soundtracks as well. By then, he probably will have moved on to his next sound-period.
  7. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think he should slow down. Instead of scoring 10 films a year, make it five, some of these little films like Minority Report don't need to have someone as well known as him to score it. The guy needs some rest. He should stick to what he is contractually obliged to do, like Star Wars, and not pick up so many projects.

Though, since I don't listen to Minority Report, Harry Potter, or that sort of stuff, te similarities don't bug me as much.
  8. DarthLefty Jedi Master

star 2
    Vaderbait: Truly, JW only does two or three films each year anymore. Minority Report was also directed by Spielberg, and JW does the music for all his movies, they're regular pals. the flaw is with filmakers, not the composer (see my previous post).
  9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I saw Harry Potter 2 today, and... Whoa. [face_shocked]

The Quidditch Match travesty is a tragedy! I mean, I've heard resemblances before in JW's scores, but wow, that was bad. [face_shocked]
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Oy... people overreact so much. Sheesh you'd think from reading this thread that John Williams is as bad as James Horner for repeating himself. Anyway, similarities are inevitable. I notice them in almost every Williams score but after a time you get used to it and like it. You notice how it is NOT the same and it takes on a life of it's own.

11. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I never thought it was that bad with Harry Potter 2

And somebody said Minority Report sounded too much like AotC. While certain parts do sound like AotC-parts, I always start to hum Jurassic Park music after listening to Minority Report. Those two sound much more alike to me, than MR and AotC
  12. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Am I saying JW is horrible and copies all of his works? NO.

Am I saying the Quidditch Match chase was horrible? Yes. :)
    Honestly dudes, go watch HP2 again, that scene was baaad (but, no, I'm not bashing the movie, or JW, just saying that his choices in THAT SCENE were really, really poor).
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I thought the Quidditch Match was great. I liked the music there. Seen it twice and it did not bother me either time.

The score for Chamber of Secrets was much better than it could have been. Remember that Williams did not do the score for the whole film. Much of it is simply music he did for The Sorceror's Stone that has been re-orchestrated and rearranged by William Ross. With that under consideration, the score for Chamber of Secrets is excellent. Think of Jurassic Park 3 here people.

14. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    It could be because JW is scoring these films so close to each other. If you notice, the A.I. and Minority Report soundtrack are alike. AOTC and Harry Potter soundtrack are similar. I have been mostly dissapointed with JW's scores since A.I.
  15. TenorAprentice Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, in that people overreact....

could it be that JW was deliberate with the scene in HP? If I was a composer, and was doing a film like HP (a little more fun than AOTC in feeling), I would find it a great joke to score the chase scene similar, drawing a parallel to the more serious film sequence.... then it would almost be an inside joke to his fans out there...
  16. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    TwiLekJedi: I didn´t say that MR sounded too much like AOTC, I said that the feeling was almost exactly the same and I did not put any value in it. In fact, I´m defending JW here, because I understand what it´s like being a composer.

And guys: As long as HP copies SW and not the other way around, I think we should all be satisfied ;)
  17. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Okay, my bad, didn't pay too much attention
    I just wanted to say that MR reminded me of JP ;)
  18. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Oh, that´s OK. JP is great, too :)
  19. dolphin Chosen One

star 4
    Minority Report and A.I. were somewhat similar. That's when I first started noticing(I think) the running together of the score
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    And yet Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are similar. And Empire Strikes Back and E.T. are similar.

Hell my roommate who does not know film music at ALL saw E.T. with me and said the finale sounded exactly like some Star Wars movie. And we went home and I sifted through them and low and behold he was RIGHT.

So this whole thing is bunk. All these works are by John Williams. They are going to have similar feels at times. Especially the scores that he does around the same time. Deal with it. It's not like he's James Horner.

21. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    E.T. and TESB?
    Hmmm.... never noticed that
    (except of Yoda's Theme, of course ;))

Any tracks where it is strikingly obvious?
  22. Obi-Kris_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I remember,when i first heard "Across The Stars",i thought "hey,very "Hook"-like stuff".It reminded me the orchestration used in "Hook".
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's the timpani part in the very end of the ESB credits and the very end of the last cue of E.T. right before the credits start.

24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Ah. I think I found it. But it's a rather minor similarity. I never hummed ESB after listening to E.T. ;)
  25. slavegirl Jedi Master

star 4
    I am a bit dissapointed with Williams' latest works, and if I were him, I'd take some time off composing until I could come up with new music, but I'm not John Williams (which is probably a good thing, as I'm hopeless at composing :p). But I'm not getting worked up over it - no composer is perfect, and even my favourite composers have done some very second-rate stuff. :)
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.