Syra, NY I love anime. You should too. (-Official Social Thread-)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by WebsJedi, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Centigrade? Dad you moron it's Celsius.

I like our units of temperature, but as vfor volume-mass-length I don't mind metric, makes far more sense.
  2. Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jennifer, you moron! From the American Heritage book of English usage:

The history of naming temperature intervals can be considered a history of removing the ambiguity introduced by the word degree. In 1742, Anders Celsius, a Swedish astronomer, proposed dividing up the temperature interval between the boiling point of water and the freezing point of water into 100 steps. This is regarded as the origin of the Centigrade temperature scale. The prefix centi-, meaning ?100? (as in centipede), is combined with the word grade, which is derived from the Latin word gradus, meaning ?step.? Thus, Centigrade means ?100 steps.? 1
    In 1795, 53 years after Anders Celsius proposed a Centigrade temperature scale, the prefix centi- began to be used in the metric system to mean ?1/100,? as in centimeter, centigram, and centiliter. Later, in the 1850s, with the widespread introduction of the metric system, Centigrade started to cause confusion. This is because many European languages have a word similar to grade as their word for degree. For example, German has Grad, Swedish has grad, and Spanish and Italian have grado. Thus, scientific communications developed an ambiguity. When speaking of a Centigrade, did one mean the temperature scale or 1/100 of some degree measure? In order to remove this confusion, scientists agreed in 1948 that the temperature unit degree Centigrade would henceforth be called degree Celsius and the symbol would be °C.

Call me old if you will, but don't call me wrong without making sure of yourself. Besides, go to any Celsius conversion site and you'll be bound to find the term centigrade as well.

(btw, for those that don't know, we are family, so the insults are all in fun)
  3. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Dad...you jsut proved me right. It's no longer centigrade, it's celcius. Therefore you=wrong. You sure as heck weren't interested in giving anyone a history lesson. You might argue that you're old but you weren't alive back then so it didn't matter :p
  4. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
  5. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Centigrade is still used quite a bit, acutally. And radio stations that target older audiences still give the temperature in both C and F. Useful when the American customers ask me what the weather's like... I can actually give them the correct temperature.

One thing that's always confused me is kilometers. It isn't pronounced the same as kilo-anything else, and most people say clicks instead. As in "45 clicks to London," or "I'm going 90 clicks." (that's speed, istead of km/h)

Most people here wouldn't know their weight in kilograms or height in centimeters though. Everyone except the government and doctors still use pounds and inches. Still beats the British weight measurement of stones though.
  6. Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    (To Jennifer) Pbbbbbttt.....
  7. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    PHHHB yourself.

Here's what I go by: New York State official Earth Science Reference Tables, otherwise known as the ESRTs.

I've been useing this thing all year.

http://www.nysedregents.org/testing/reftable/archreftable/pg12,13,14.pdf

It's the second page on there. There's a reason we're not taught centigrade, oh father of mine :p

Probably the reason it's common in Canada is that it's your official system of temperature measurement and thus more important to you, unlike us who've always used farenheight.

"One thing that's always confused me is kilometers. It isn't pronounced the same as kilo-anything else"

omg I know, I always get laughed at for saying 'kee-low mee-turs' instead of 'kill-ah-mit-urs'. How aggrivating!
  8. Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Didn't school end today? How come you still remmber anything about it? Besides, aren't you always the one telling me they never teach you anything useful in school? I'm not going to look at that page as it must not be useful. Besides, I'm sure you wouldn't trust anything the school tried to teach you.
  9. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey man, this is science at it's best. Earth Science. Not history, which is boring and repetative (this country made another one mad, germany got involved and pissed everyone else, and somehow france got shafted) it's not like math which is just useless (who CARES what teh square root if negative 108 is or how to solve a quadratic equation?) and it's not like english which is useles (I SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!! WHY DO I NEED TO TAKE IT?!) heck the only useful classes are french, gym, band, and lunch other than science.
  10. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well, I like math because I'm good at it. Not that I'm able to really apply much of it. I just like pure math. I study fashion history because it interests me, and otherwise, I liked chemistry, physics, and music.
  11. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Happy Canada Day! Hopefully lots of people are away for the long weekend, so that by the time I get to work so I can enjoy the holiday!

I wish I lived in one of the border cities this weekend.... Friday off in Canada, Monday off in the US.
  12. Divia Jedi Knight

star 3
    I love history!
    I studied it in undergrad so I should love it.
    Math however is my mortal enemy.
  13. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    hmm my cousin is majoring in History and minoring in Math. He says thats because he can teach history, but not math. I have to agree with him. I love math, it was my best subject, but if someone can't do it, I can't understand why, or explain how it works. On the other hand, History is like a great big story, and is very fun to study.
  14. Matrix-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Math is evil, evil I say! This is why I teach English, and could teach history. Viva la English! Er...

-K
  15. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    You probably would have flunked me too. 3 of my highschool teachers did. (OK, so one was the same teacher twice, but different years.)
  16. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's been a while since I peeked in here, whoops. Happy belated Canada Day!

And as for the 4th:

Dear United State: Happy belated Independence Day!

Dear England: Happy belated Colonists Got Uppity Day!

Dear Canada: Happy belated They Forgot About Us Three Days Ago So Why Should We Care Day!

Dear Australia: Happy belated We Would Have Done It First But We Couldn't Organize A Prison Revolt Big Enough Day!

Yeesh, do you know how hard it is to type like that, capitalizing the first letter of each word? Pain in the patoot!
  17. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well, Bastille Day is coming up next Thursday.... Then the French can celebrate the destruction of one of the most secure prisons in history, by a group of common citzens.
  18. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Whether you're religious or not, this is still extremely funny:

http://www.threadless.com/submission/46078/obi_wan_kerisst

[image=http://www.threadless.com/subs/big/46078.gif]

I'd totally buy it ;)
  19. Matrix-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Oh for the love of... I'm not even going to post the snide comment I was going to.

However, I found this site today, and if you're into D&D, oh man, you'll be crying from the snickers/laughter. The Order of the Stick!

-K
  20. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I red 82 pages of that comic before I had to go do something else... very funny!
  21. Drogon Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was cool. I read the whole thing last night. Took quite a while. Well worth the time.
  22. Rabellaka FF City Rep London, ON Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I think I bookmarked it, but I'll read the rest some other time. Just how long is it?
  23. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
  24. Matrix-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    203 comics of D&D gooooooooooooooodddddddnnnnnnneeeeessssss!!!!!!!!!
  25. DarthArjuna Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Coicedence time! First, DA has decided to come back and post. I don't visit nearly as much as I should, sorry guys :(

Second... Our friend Matrix here, while subbing at Chittenango gor his degree, taught English for my best friend up at school. Whoo!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.