main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY I love anime. You should too. (-Official Social Thread-)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by WebsJedi, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    No....sorry, I couldn't do the pirate thing. Not after seeing that movie Pirates of the disneyland.

But, that is not the reason that I am writing this. I want to know what everyone is doing. I know that a lot of you are getting ready for next week and the festival....GRRRR I still wish I was going.

I had a great Kendo seminar today and I have another seminar I am going to next week.

Is anyone interested in learning a bit of kendo? I could always teach a small class. But you would have to buy your own Shinai.

So, let me know what your up to.

2. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Eh, doing normal freshie stuff.

Hanging.

Working on costumes last minute ;)

3. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah... just get that robe done, I got some funny looks at the last parade (of course, poeple give me funny looks no matter where I go...).

4. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Because of your costume-it was black and grey. You were like the matrix jedi and every skinny pale guy in existance combined. That's going to get some looks.

5. WebsJedi

WebsJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    OH OH! I want to learn kendo! OH OH! I even have my own shinai. Unfortunatly part of the blade is wrappen in duct tape.... And don't you use boken for the katas and such?

And on a completely differnt note, I'm in serious need of some plasti dip dip. I can only find red, and I need black. If anyone comes across some (it will have a black sticker on top to indicate it's well, black) please let me know! Vicky got me all hyped up about there being some at Home Depot, but it was red. Plus they won't order black. I think they're lying about this, or don't know that they can order it in black...

-K

6. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey, now- black and silver.

7. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    well, they had it there that morning ;) listen take the drive to the Lowes in auburn...CALL them ahead of time first and ask them to hold it for you.

8. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    WebsJedi.

I have two shinai if you want I could always lend you one. I will not practice with a broken one....to dangerouse. As for the Kata's I use a live bladed sword....Connor McClouds from the first highlander movie....very kewl.

9. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Grey. Like your hair. Greeeeeey. ;)

10. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Fine. We'll go to Karate. Grey, Silver, or gray?

11. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I have good news!

Other than belt pouches, once my belt comes in from a seller on Ebay, I will have a complete costume!!!!!

I just bought boots today to match the belt I bought. *dances*

12. WebsJedi

WebsJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    But having a practice sword completely shatter and send sharp pieces of bamboo into your and your opponent's eyes is sooooo much fun!
    Or I could just borrow the extra one and not have to worry about the medical bills *sagely nod*.

-K

13. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Hi all! I've been reading this thread a few days without really commenting. Spoke to Raef and Darth yesterday and I guess now's the time.

I think it would be great to learn Kenda or any thing similar. However, being a practical minded person (realist, see below), I have some questions/concerns (yeah, I'm dampening the enthusiasm, sorry).

- How often would you plan on meeting? (If it is often it is easier to learn, but on the flip side; if it is not often, it is easier to attend)
    - What day/time of the week would this be? What is convenient for one might not be for all.
    - Where are you planning on this being done? Regrettably for all of us, I think you are the member who is most remote from Syracuse. We should not expect you to drive far when you are doing us a favor in teaching it. On the other hand, the farther it is for us the harder it is to commit to on a regular basis.
    - What else would be required of participants? (Outfits, training instruments, etc.)

Hopefully when this gets settled everyone will still be enthusiastic. Thank you for this very generous offer of your time. Hopefully everything will fall in place to make this happen.

14. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    *pokes her father*

It's Kend o.

15. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    As long as its not Kender. I just can't abide seeing hobbits practicing Karate. Its too much like Yoda's duel. Let him be the only midget marshall arts expert.

16. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
  17. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    We could do it in a park. And you would only have to do it once every 3 months or so. Just so you pick up the basics of the art. You can learn the basics in about 2 hours

What you would need is a Shinai ( you can pick one up for about $20) and loose clothing. You don't need all the armour to first learn Kendo. And the armour is very expensive. $350-$1000

The problem is it is now starting to get cold.

Up to you. We could always leave it until next summer.

18. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    That certainly seems more do-able than I expected. I'm surprised you wouldn't have to meet more often. However, assuming the dates can be coordinated to be agreeable to all, I see no problems with it. If Raef and Arjuna participate, then I would probably be driving them, so I guess I would be joining in as well.

19. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I told a few freinds I would be taking Kendo sometime. One thought it was wicked cool (she does karate, is the belt just before black, and is into all that) and the others all looked scared at the idea of me being able to wield a sword.

Can't imagine why! :D

20. DarkjediAssasin

DarkjediAssasin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    That sounds pretty cool. but were could we find the Shinai to buy it. If i can get my parents to let me go, I'm all for it.

21. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Ebay's a good place to get one. Or just put shinai in any serch engine andf you will get dozens of hits

22. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Andy passed his driving test.

...ANDY passed his DRIVING test!!!!

EVERYONE OFF THE ROADS!!!!

Or...wait...everyone stand in front of the car, it's the safest place to be :D :D :D

23. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Congrats Andy.

Now you can drive the rest of your family around. Hang on.....Your father said you have been driving him up the wall for years....:)LOL

24. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    :D Actually I drove my sister from Drama Club after it was cancelled. On a slightly unrelated note, has anyone ever played the video game Halo and sat in the passenger seat while someone else is driving?

Yeah. It's bad.

25. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Yeah. And this comming from the DRIVER of the warthog!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.