main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY I love anime. You should too. (-Official Social Thread-)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by WebsJedi, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Um. Is it me, or did strawbary lose her colors? Any reason for this, or was it a system fluke?

2. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Nah. Just changed to red and blue.

3. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    [image=http://www.durbnpoisn.com/images/faces/icon_huh.gif]

Those colors are for normal VIP status board members- people that aren't mods but deserve some sort of recognition, i.e. Ryan_W got VIP colors for geting a job at LucasArts. I'm wondering why she has those VIP colors and not the pleasing pink.

4. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    *rolls eyes* Like I know :p

Nice smilie, btw ;)

And, bbtw, I'm 15 today! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

5. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I didnt change my colors on purpose I had to reset my colors. Back to the wonderful pink. And how do ya know I didnt become some special VIP huh? LOL
    Hey next time ya know you could just ask me? hmm there's a thought ;)

EDIT: HAppy Birthday!

6. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    I sorta did, it was just in public ;)

7. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, new topic:

Expanded universe. For or against?

E1PPM

8. LilLadyVader

LilLadyVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    I read the books and enjoy them, so "for". -C

9. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I read two EU books...both YJN...they were pretty good. Might read them again, dunno.

10. Matrix-Jedi

Matrix-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    Mara Jade is hot. I'm all for EU.

-k

11. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Lol, Matrix. I agree though. Perhaps the best thing Lucas (and his associated companies) has done is kept control over the prequel/sequel stories for Star Wars. They use many, many authors and different writing styles, but its always a quality product and always imaginative. The expanded universe has indeed become a universe, rather than just a small little niche.

Who has read any of the stories about the Yuzhann Vong? What are your thoughts? I think its interesting to think of a successful culture so different from ours right from its basics, even though they are basically humanoid. I have enjoyed the stories and sagas, but I have to admit that with the number of books written about this invasion, I am starting to yearn for something a little different. I'm hoping they wind down the Yuzhaan Vong invasion theme and move on to something different.

In the car yesterday we were talking a bit about the group and we all kind of felt that we need more social interaction, especially Star Wars related, to keep the chapter lively. Too often the posts are merely facilitators for the next meeting or get together. My belief though is that they are intended to be a place for each to share their enthusiasm for the stories, as well as a place to share their lives in general. The boards should be the place for the continuing interaction between meetings, not just calendar facilitator. I think perhaps its time we started talking about Star Wars in the boards.

12. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    *stands and claps and whistles*

Nice speech, Drogon. (Seriously, it reminds me of something my english teacher would say.....the one who made you zone out after about 2 minutes of listening)

The problem is finding a topic everyone can interact with. Not everyone likes anime, not everyone has read the EU books, not everyone has seen ROTK, there's no major big movies out at themoment..we're at a lull :p

13. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    I would like for us to interact with each other more on the boards than just "we will be meeting at such a place"

I have only just started to read the books on Star Wars and I am finding them a lot of fun but, I don't get to read that often. I work all the hours god sends.

From what I have found out from other groups the winter months tend to be a bit slow. With all the bad weather and the holidays and such.

Hopefully we will be able to get some projects off of the ground. I know that we have spoken about Kendo and a Lightsaber workshop. I think that a costuming workshop might help some of the newer members as well. I think that at our next meeting we should try and pencil in some of these activities and get some ideas on what we will be doing and would like to do over the next year. We have other things to talk about like the new designs for t shirts and club ID tags.

Lets try and make this a fun and productive year for the group.

14. LilLadyVader

LilLadyVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2000
    I've enjoyed the books about the Yuuzhan Vong; I'm just starting Force Heretic III: Reunion at the moment. The Vong remind me of the Klingons in ST in some ways, and they were my faves in ST, so I suppose I get some enjoyment out of the parallels there. From what I read in one of the books, it looks like the series concluded in November '03, but that could be in hardback...I wait for the paperbacks myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it ends, not because I'm sick of it, but out of curiosity. That being said, I'm also looking forward to whatever they do next, maybe filling in the gaps between the prequel trilogy more? We'll see! -C

15. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    I just read "The Final Prophecy", which is the second to last bookin the series. I can put some safe money down on the assumption that a paperback won't be out until May... of the Ep III release. Right, more than a year. Don't the publishers care for us cheapskates?

16. DarkjediAssasin

DarkjediAssasin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    I'm pretty big on the book before the NJO series. i've memorized alot of it too. my fav's "I,Jedi"

17. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    I know how the NJO ends. Na na na na na na! I'm just kinda sad after this they're just going to be doing filler book. Nothing new. Ah well.

-K

18. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    Ok, so after my friend sent me this link, I think I might have to retract my previous statement:

http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/9742

Oh yeah! Mara Jade and Luke!

-K

19. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    Going for the hat-trick for posts....

Ok, I noticed some folks had some concerns over what's going on w/ the group. If you have a question, comment, gripe, etc, just PM myself, Vicky or Ian about it. That's what we're here for. If you just post stuff on the board, it's sometimes missed, but a big old PM MESSAGE when I log in is hard to miss.
    Besides, you don't want to appear all concerned and paranoid now do ya? Later all!

-K

20. DarkjediAssasin

DarkjediAssasin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    Hey! I just got a call today that i got accepted to SUNY Canton. its not my first choice in colleges but its a collage that wants me!!!!! ^_^ yay for me!!!! Now i have somewhere to go other than OCC.....

21. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Congrats on the college! Boo to student loans!

;)

22. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Heyyyy congrats! woohoo!!!

23. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Actually, "Horray to student loans" but "Boo to paying them back" ;)

I, myself, got accepted to SUNY IT in Utica. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! It was my first choice.

24. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Hey, congrats DJA! Um....lets see...Canton. Is that downstate someplace? I've heard of it, but forgot where it is.

Hoth Girl! Good to see you on our boards! Had a good time talking to you and ..um...Ryan was it? Sorry, I'm really not good with names. You guys have a really nice group there in Rochester.

25. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I had a good time talking to you guys too. :) Always good to get to know people a bit.

I'm not the best with names either so don't fret, but yes, it was Ryan. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.