main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY I LOVE NEW YORK!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Allie Fox, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Yeah that's the biggest smell, but I was referring to the smell in my neighborhood. ;)

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I love being able to walk out on my way to work and having TONS of places availbe to grab a quick breakfast... Zabars Cafe, H&H Bagels, Au Bon Pain, Breakfast Carts, Deli Cafes, ect. You can buy whatever your heart desires from wherever! The only missing is a Walmart LOL Shopping in SOHO or 5th ave is fun, even if its just window shopping.

Union Square has to be my favorite place in Manhattan - Green Market! Fresh produce, baked goods, plants, cheese, and local wines from all over NY State - and it's not expensive. USq also has the dog run, you can watch or take your own dog there for him to play with other doggies, kind of like a doggie playground.

Central Park! A giant backyard with TONS of things to do. Ice skating, sledding, swimming, boating, fishing, roller blading, biking, horse-back riding, carnivals, the carousel, etc, etc, etc. I've had the pleasure to try my feet at some SCA dance practices - FUN. I've been to picnics there with my honey, or with friends. Will and I plan to get married in CP and have both the engagement and wedding photos in Bethesda Terrace (looks a LOT like Naboo).

If you wife is a romantic, the NYC is definately her kind of place. Have a romantic dinner, followed by a quite ride on a Horse and Buggy. Then catch a movie at any of the theaters - they're all open!

There's so MUCH to see, I could never list it all - numerous museums, exhibits, shops, shows, and fairs (during the summer).

You have EVERY kind of food from American comfort Food to Etheopian to Jewish Deli to Hungarian - EVERYTHING - and it's sooooo good. There's Big Wong in China Town where dinner for two costs under $15, and thats with appatizers and main dish!

My only complaint is also the subway smell - but you get over it once the train door closes. You can get anywhere in NYC for $2 on a Metro-Card, or buy a monthly unlimited for $70 - ride as many times as you like for 30 days!

To qoute my favorite song by TMBG NYC (it's also Will and I's song hehe)
    "Cause everyone's your friend in New York City
    And everything looks beautiful when you're young and pretty
    The streets are paved with diamonds and there's just so much to see
    But the best thing about New York City is you and me
    "

http://www.tmbg.org/learning/nyc/
    http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

3. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    Bagels
    Cheesecake
    Pastrami
    Hot Dogs. . .

<faints>

4. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I loved when I used to live in the City being able to just get on the subway and go anywhere I wanted to. I could just get lost and be happy! And there is always good food on every corner.

5. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    My $.02 in dactarians...

I always seem to think of ol' blue eyes...the late great Sinatra, of course...when I think of good ol' NYC.

The irony is that since I live in Queens...which means taking a train into the city...I'm sure there's so much that I haven't yet seen and/or done in NYC. Oh, I've been to its museums in the past and I remember the old Zoo...but it wasn't until last year when certain beloved Fanforcers provided a more thorough stroll through Central Park. It never occurred to me how beautiful...and yes, Naboo-esque...Bethesda Terrace is. Once we're ready to do location shots, I'm taking whatever steps are necessary to do Fanfilm shots in that area. There's a nice bridge, too, that I want to add in the location shoot scheme.

Seems like every time I go into the city, there's always something going on that fascinates, never mind the landmarks. Nightlife in NYC is twice as diverse, too...and I remember what the Times Square area looked like before its Giuliani-wrought makeover. There were action movies shot on location in that area that give you an idea of what it was like back then(a vigilante movie called "The Exterminator" springs to mind, but "Death Wish" and "Taxi Driver" also qualifies). To see what it looks like now? I'm honestly glad the area was resuscitated...and yes, the area remains safer than ever.

Although certain events have tried to shake our collective spirit as New Yorkers...the most notorious case-in-point being, of course, 9/11/01...our response since that dark day has shown that while those cowards may have taken a landmark away from us, they can never, ever silence our way of life or our strength of spirit. As far as I'm concerned, they expected our spirits to weaken in the wake of their callous act.

How ironic that we've gotten so very much STRONGER since then.

More aware.

More prepared.

More spirited.

Do I love New York?

You bet your exhibit-A, I do. Now more than ever.

- Johnny

6. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Allie: I miss Georgia's food. It's hard to find good inexpensive Southern food up here. We have one place we go to for delicious fried chicken but they charge you $15 for a plate.

And I loves me some Sweet Tea.

Two words for New Yorkers: Naked Cowboy.

7. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Mom just called me yesterday about something nifty she saw on TV...

Has anyone here heard of the restaurant Serendipity? Apparently they serve the world's best chocolate drink, called Frozen Hot Chocolate. It's basically a hot cocoa gone smoothie: chocolate blended with ice and topped with tons of whipped cream. I think the drink is 24oz, because you're meant to share it with someone. So why is this thing so special?

...it's made with 14 different kinds of chocolate all at once. :eek:

I probably don't wanna know how much it costs, but dang, it sure sounds =P~

(Just don't eat anything else for the rest of the day, cause the whole thing's worth 600 calories. :p)

8. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Moriah

Ive heard of that resturant and their frozen hot chocolate. Im up for trying that ;)

9. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Bah, humbug -- their frozen hot chocolate is $6.50. I don't care if it has 14 kinds of estate-grown single plantation chocolate from deep in the jungles of the Amazon. I can make better and cheaper with high quality cocoa, milk, Mexican spices and a hand blender to froth it all up. ;)

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I'd liketo try a frozen hot chocolate sometime. But for me DELI RULES!!! Than cheesecake for dessert.

11. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    "New York doesn't have a smell. Now New Jersey...THAT has a smell. "

Mike, I hate you.

~DG~

12. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Well he is right LOL :p

13. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    It's the landfills. LOL!

14. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I thought it was just the inhabitants!

Ooooooooh!!!

I KID!!! I KID!!! :D

...Anyway, you gotta love that 5am Mahattan garbage-pick-up smell! :)

15. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Gary,

Truth hurts dude. ;)

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Or how about that 7 am bodily fluids smell - from both humans and dogs? [face_sick]

I don't think this information will help Allie, though. :p

17. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Or how about that 7 am bodily fluids smell

Trying......not.......to.......comment........

Uh,....uh.........ah,......[face_laugh]

18. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    I miss Georgia's food. It's hard to find good inexpensive Southern food up here. We have one place we go to for delicious fried chicken but they charge you $15 for a plate.

And I loves me some Sweet Tea.

I have never gotten used to Southern cooking. Okra, butter beans, grits, pork BBQ, fried chicken and catfish have never appealed to me. No one in my family is much a cook (Chef BoyRDee anyone. . .) My wife's family is Cuban so I eat alot of beans and rice. ;)

I do love Chinese food and Italian pastries ("Leave the gun. Get the Canoli") Try finding either of the two in Atlanta, let alone rural Georgia. :(

But I dont want to make this into an "I DON'T LOVE GEORGIA" thread. . .

Another thing I love about NYC are the salted bagels.

19. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Damn my messed up stomach, you're making me hungry.

And yes salt bagels are my favorite!

20. citizenjohn

May 4, 2001
    Allie

My neighborhood has the best Italian Pastries :)

21. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I don't know if I love anything about New York right now since working here has ruined my love for NYC.

Ask me this in six months when I start to miss NYC.

22. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    *Holds his nose to scream at Mike over the STENCH that is Staten Island*

There are some 'interesting' odors emanating from your side of the river, too.

funny but true story: I was in the city on business a few weeks ago, and seemed to have slipped and fell into a NYC 'puddle'. I bought my suit to the dry cleaners, and the guy behind the counter looked at me like I brought my dead kitten in to him that has been smooshed by a car (complete with the tire marks) and asked him if he's gonna be ok.

I think he feared putting cleaning chemicals to the garment for fear of the reaction.

~DG~

23. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    LMAO. Ever smell NYC at 5am? It's the smell of puke, pee, and every other bodily excrement you can think of. Nevermind the subways and pedestrian tunnels. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee-uck.

I know a few spots in NJ that stink, like Elizabeth & Linden for sure, but that's nothing compared to the odors emanating in the "meat packing" district. ;)

24. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    Allie

My neighborhood has the best Italian Pastries

My favorite place is Cafe Palermo on Mulberry Street.

25. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    You guys have Toy Fair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.