main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I love the smell of Steak 'N Shake in April....(Celebration 3)

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Sebulba-X, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Sure as hell wont miss this.

No way no day.

2. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Is that true, Ludo? The Westin let you reserve a room? Well, maybe I'll try them again. It's an unusual request, I know, a room 18 months in advance. Maybe I got hold of someone who thought it was too wonky. But worth it just not to have to worry about it later. I know from experience that waiting until 6 months in advance is too late to get a close room, for a fair price!

3. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    It's not really an unusual request...My wife works in the Hotel industry and its not unheard of to take rooms more than 2 years in advance.

4. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    I reserved my room about a year in advance and then cancelled it when the "Convention Rates" were announced. BTW, the Crowne Plaza was a great hotel, but the trains were slightly annoying.

5. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
  6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Crowne Plaza is in the old Union Station, which, obviously, used to be a train station. Tracks still go past there on it's way to the Amtrak station, so it can be a bit noisy. Actually, I spent my honeymoon night in one of Crowne Plaza's Train Car suites...it was a pretty awesome room, albeit a bit small for the price.

7. vadersfist

vadersfist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2001
    You know I'm in.

8. Mike-J

Mike-J Jedi Master

Jun 18, 2003
    I'm glad that it is in Indy again. I just need to choose a better hotel this time :)

9. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    What are the best hotels for us out-of-towners. If Crowne Plaza is too noisy, what are our other options?

10. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    The Crowne Plaza isn't noisy enough that I would disregard it, especially with it's proximity to the ICC.

11. tionnesharp

Feb 25, 2002
    The Crowne was very nice. But the room we had was a bit small for 4 people, 3 of whom brought costumes. I guess I expected more space for the price we paid.

But it's very nice and close....however, it is NOT connected by the skywalk. Which wasn't a real problem since the weather was nice. But I intend to get a room with a skywalk connection next time, just in case it rains. I ain't spending my hard earned time and money on a costume just to have it rained on. Of course if we have to stand in line again for 4 hours to get inside the building.....

The Westin and the Hyatt are across the street and connected via the skywalk. Plus, the Hyatt seemed to be the "party" hotel, if that's important to ya.

12. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    [image=http://www.indy.org/images/downtownmap.gif]

lol...well, $5 would buy you a decent rain poncho (assuming that it is not already raining...then they up the price upwards of $20)...Crowne plaza is connected with an uncovered walkway, so at least you wouldn't have to deal with traffic...but since that path leads you around the dome part way, it's less distance just to walk down the street.

The map above shows a few hotels in yellow. Of the ones not connected, the Courtyard by Marriot is catecorner from the back entrance to the Convention Center, so you'll still have to go thru the main entrance to enter, but exiting will be a bit easier. All the other hotels in the center of the map are within relatively easy walking distance...the Days Inn would be a bit of a hike, but not overly horrible (it is pretty close to the City County Building, which houses the Marion County Jail & Courts, so there's an interesting mix of people coming and going out of that place).

13. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    it is pretty close to the City County Building, which houses the Marion County Jail & Courts, so there's an interesting mix of people coming and going out of that place

Wouldn't it be cool if some prisoners escaped and some of the 501st stormtroopers stopped them? :p Man, I can't wait until C3! :D

14. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    Indy was so GREAT last year, I'm so excited to go again this year. Thanks for the 'inside info', although I'm still anxious for an official announcement!

15. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    If you go to rca dome indiana convention center web site there is a listing for another event at that time.I hope we are not getting our hopes up.

16. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    how do you know it's another event and not our event?

17. JSTAR71

Apr 29, 2003
    it has a name and its more dates than is required for c3.believe me i live in ky id love to do it in indy again.

18. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    C2 shared time with another event. Believe me when I say I wouldn't have posted this info if I didn't have compelling reasons to believe it to be true.

19. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    I only question how the organizers can prevent a repeat of the problems of C2 if they do not have full use of the Convention Center. I'm sure some of the problems can be alleviated by better organization but you just can't fit the number of people who attended C2 into the reduced space. This will be especially true if they figure out how to reduce the store line. All those who stood in line for hours would be added to the masses.

I guess if they use the dome for larger functions it might help. Hopefully the organizers will go back and read the C2 reaction threads on this site and on the official site. There were some great suggestions from the attendees.

I do think the location was wonderful with the nearby hotels and mall. I'm glad they've decided to hold it earlier. Helps when it isn't so close to exams. I'd love to see it held in June but I guess they'd want to have it before the release of the film.

20. JSTAR71

Apr 29, 2003
    Im glad its not in june. Can you imagine how hot the outside line could become?Especially in costume.

21. LadyAnakinSkywalker

Oct 6, 2001
    The line outside is only *really* long right when it opens.

22. tionnesharp

Feb 25, 2002
    And the inside line was REALLY hot as well. Well, shoot. Somebody over on the SW boards posted that a bunch of people over here are reserving hotel rooms....so I guess I'll just do that since now EVERYbody will be trying to get a room!

If it's Indy, Yeah! If it's not, I can cancel. If the Hyatt won't have me yet, then I'll reserve at the Westin.

23. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    While I'm sure it's a safe bet to reserve a room for that weekend in Indy...it's just the smart thing to do to make sure there's no reservation cancellation charges, at least if you give them plenty of notice. A comet or meteor could land on the convention center or something, cause C3 to be moved a couple miles to the Warren Performing Arts Center or something. [face_mischief] :p

24. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    If a comet landed on Indy they'd have to move C3 to Europe!

25. LadyAnakinSkywalker

Oct 6, 2001
    Am I the only one who wasn't hot in Indy last time? ;)

My dad and I actually got a hotel that wasn't even close to the convention, got a great deal on a rental car and just drove to a parking garage. ;) The line was *super* long (the non-fan club line was even longer, if I recall correctly) but luckily there was a parking garage right near the end. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.