main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I love the smell of Steak 'N Shake in April....(Celebration 3)

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Sebulba-X, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toydarian_Valet

Toydarian_Valet Jedi Master star 1

Oct 11, 2000
    heh-heh, so I parks dis big outlander's speeder the other night, but he had no tip money...I wasa angry as I need to pay off some bets from last weekend's race, no? Stupid Quadrinaros...but I digress, no? De outlander, insteads, he tells me to expect de beeg noose to come January. To many gift givings and fruit cakes...I tell him that I'll be hungover den, dat de new years is beeg tipping time for de speeders, then we valets go hang out over in Mos Eisley, but he just laughed and sez to bet heavily on Sebulba. Stupid Quadrinaros, stupid.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Sorry bud, noone trusts Toydarian Valets... :p

But you should have. Now various 501st people are telling me that their group is trying to rally as many members as possible for April 22-24 in Indy...so there you go non-believers.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I'll definitely be there. I was there for the Sunday of Celebration 2, and it was great!

Plus, I'm in Anderson, so its a pretty close driving distance. :D

4. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Ah, lovely Anderson...I stopped there many a time on my way to and from Ball State. [face_laugh] Actually, come to think of it, we stopped there quite a few times to race go carts, but that's a bit off topic.

5. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    just call it pod raceing.

6. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Old news. ;) I don't think that anyone who post news items here even reads their own forums.

*shrug*

7. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    It'll be Motel 6 again for me. That's what I've used on every Celebration trip, both on the way and in the destination cities. It's cheap and affordable when you drive all the way from California.

Yes, it would be about the same price if me and my friend flew in and got a "nicer" hotel, but in my view, the cross-country trip is part of the whole Celebration experience. We visited Denver for 36 hours last time, and fondly visited all of the stores and locations from Celebration I. It was perfect.

I'm very happy that it's in Indianapolis again, even though it would have been interesting and more convenient for West-Coasters to hold it in San Diego ( considering that the mid and East sides got their Celebrations. )

8. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    I was at Celebration I & II. I can't see III being in Indiana...sorry guys, but I just can't see it being held there again. Maybe Chicago or the East coast or better yet how about Denver again.

9. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    OK, we know it has not been "officially" announced yet, but how much more proof do you people need?

We have the location, we have the dates. This is coming directly from the people who are going to be running the convention.

Its been backed up at least 3 different ways from what I've seen already. The only thing that isn't done is for the official announcement.

There are probably going to hold off until a specific date to announce so that by then the hotels etc will be set up to receive reservations.

This is a done deal, like it or not, it going to be Indy in April 2005

10. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Info timeline:

- C2 ends, Indianapolis Star reports C3 is already asking to have space booked for 2005.

- Gen*Con Convention moves to Indianapolis for 2003, 2004, 2005, + some other years.

2002-03
    - IK maintains contact with the wonderful people from LFL/Paizo/C2Ventures, sees them at other conventions, etc, etc. While nothing specific, enough chit chat to lead us to believe that we had a real shot at getting C3.

- May-03 Heard specific info listing Indy as a finalist with St. Louis & Chicago...started a thread in the OFH about this and other things back in June.

- 7/30/03 seBella-X [face_love]

- 11/4/03 Warmed us up enough to try and rent a room: Gen*Con (the group, not the convention) has rented out most of the suites of a hotel for the April 22-24 weekend. I know this because a member of IK tried to book a suite for the following weekend and his contact said that it was great he was planning this far ahead, but it's actually for the previous weekend.

- 11/4/03 Seb-X posts this thread as soon as he's told the previous. And actually, I posted this over at the Official Site forum first (in the C3 Opinions thread) and also gave the info directly to T'Bone since we were already emailing back and forth about something completely unrelated.

- 11/5/03 After the thread is out, 3 seaparate people of significance, however minor it may be, confirmed it to members of the group, sorta in the fashion of "so now you know..." This includes a IK significant other who works for the Insider in some way I won't go into.

- 12/11/03 Person of major, major significance called one of our members and said that this is the correct info and that the Official Announcement will be coming after the Holidays. This is because they did not want the news of C3 being lost in the holiday madness. Anyway, the Toydarian Valet posted this info for me that day. ;)

- 12/18/03 TF.N posts their news blurb on it. Even if you did not believe me, you should believe them. Phil Wise, founder of Rebelscum.com, 2/3 owner of TF.N, and a founding partner of C2Ventures (the group that handled the autographs for C2 and beyond), would most definately have known when C3 will be. Whether the news staff here has gotten that info out of him or not is anyone's guess, but I don't think he'd allow them to post the wrong info up.

Since the official announcement is coming soon, figured I'd show my cards before hand. None of this matter anyway, even less so after the announcement....well, I guess people's excitement shouldn't be dimissed, which is why I said nothing until I knew for sure.

Merry Sebulba-X-mas

11. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Well, there must be truly something about the Indy rumor, cause I just tried to reserve a room at the Hyatt and they told me it had been all booked up for those dates (April 22-24, 2005) for two conventions.... the Lutherin Educaton Convention and the "Star Wars" convention. Won't that be an interesting mix.....

I'm just hoping I can get a room at the Hyatt.

12. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    That is fantastic news that Indianapolis is going to be hosting CIII! I will seriously be considering attending again. Having it in Indianapolis again can only improve it. Let's hope that the weather is just as nice as it was for C2.

Remember that hotel booking wasn't available for CII until late fall through the fan club as they had blocks of hotels reserved. I suspect they will do the same arrangement for CIII. I stayed at the Westin & it was great. The long lines kind of sucked getting into the convention first thing in the morning, but other than that, no worries about parking, or having to run back to the room during the day to change, or where to eat. Everything was within convenient walking distance. If you have the means, I highly recommend staying at one of the hotels surrounding the RCA dome & connected by the skywalks. Just keep in mind that in the mornings, YOU CANNOT ENTER THE CONVENTION CENTER FROM THE SKYWALKS. Well you can, but you have to wait until EVERYONE standing in line on the street level gets in before they'll let you.

Now I guess we just wait for the OFFICIAL announcement from Lucasfilm.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    One thing I'm wondering; a lot of people have been saying that they need to really save a lot of money since they spent so much on CII, how much approximately did people spend on CII(just the con, not hotels or travel), so that one can be prepared.

14. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Here's some of my C2 expenses...

$75 for 3 day pass
    $20 for 2 Jorg Sacul figures (I guess I got $10 back when I sold one of them at C2)
    $10 for C2 Program
    $17 FF/501st/RL Party Ticket
    $12 for 25th Anniversary Concert Ticket
    $40 or so for non-US trading cards from vendors for my collection
    $20 C2 Exclusive Ralph McQuarrie DVD Set
    $30-50 for cheapo lunches and dinners for the weekend.

Lots of cash spent on beer...don't recall how much for a multitude of reasons.

15. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    All the above, minus the trading cards.

The hotel wasn't bad either. I had three roommates at the Crowne so paid only about $40 a night including taxes. Also had a fancy, shmancy dinner at a nearby steakhouse....Still I came out pretty cheap since Indy was within driving distance.

16. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    we had hotel expenses and car rental to factor in so I think it was about 1500 for me.........
    (well that doesnt include 4 costumes I needed either LOL)

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, good to be prepared at what kind of costs you have count on.

18. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Thinking of joining us in 2005, Johanna?

(it would be great to get all the FF staff and alumni together)

19. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Wow... seeing that list of costs made me wonder how much I finally spent on that trip:

$75 for 3 day pass
    $200 for a round trip airfare ticket
    $50 for airport parking
    $100 for round trip limo rides to and from airport
    $600 for 4 nights at the Embassy Suites
    $50 for 2 Jorg Sacul figures (after the extremely high shipping costs from that shipping room)
    $10 for C2 Program
    $24 for 2 25th Anniversary Concert Ticket
    $16 for 2 Spider-Man tickets
    $60 for 4 days of meals

Man.. what fun that was. 400ish days to the next one.

20. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I spent way too much. One reason is because I brought tons of stuff back home for people.

I will be at Celebration 3 if it is the will of the force.

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm definetly planning on coming, and I think that at the moment I have just enough money to do it, and I will work all summer and save all the money for CIII.

22. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    start saving those Pennies now......I know I am ;)

23. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Is it odd that I'm looking forward to Celebration 3 more than Episode 3?

24. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    No, not at all. :)

25. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Episode III only lasts a couple of hours & while entertaining isn't very interactive while Celebration is not only Star Wars stuff, but also mingling & socializing with fellow Star Wars fans, friends, and the cast & crew who made the movies possible. Its a lot more exciting and fun in my opinion than the movies. There is also the anticipation for the movie, which in my mind's eye is almost always better than the movie itself.

As far as expenses go, I plan on maybe getting a shirt or a sweatshirt, but other than that I'm going to spend my money on creating experiences & memories & not getting more stuff that I don't need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.