main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I love the smell of Steak 'N Shake in April....(Celebration 3)

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Sebulba-X, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    [face_laugh] Road Trip!

2. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Yeah, a bunch of us from Ohio are driving down, it's not that far away.

3. Kir Kanos

Kir Kanos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 1999
    Yeah. Quite a few people here in Nashville, TN are already planning on making the trip as well. Two of us are ex-hoosiers, or should I say Boilermakers! Its definitely driveable (5-1/2 hours). It would be even faster if they would ever finish that construction on I-65 at the Indiana / Kentucky border. I think they are going on 5 years now. EESH!!!

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    [image=http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/pimp.gif]

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Looks like I'll be driving up from Louisiana to Denver to make the road trip with the Rocky Mountain FF gang. :D

6. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Grimby wrote: So what's the concensus at the moment? Do we wait until summer to book rooms or should we act now?

Rooms will not be able to be reserved until 11 months before the event...that means the end of this May. If you check the hotel reservation sites and call them, they will tell you this is the case. Those of you that got rooms 4-5 months ago may want to call in April or May and confirm they still have your reservation.

Just a helpful suggestion. :)

7. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I was wondering from everyone that went to Celebration 2, how much money did you expect to spend, and how much money DID you spend when you got there.I am wondering about food cost, hotel/travel expenses, and any money you spent at the convention itself buying merchandise or whatever Thanks :)

8. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Some people have been able to get rooms already, it just depends on the individual hotel policy...I'm sure if you tell them that you're going to a scheduled convention, they might work with you to circumvent their own system, but maybe not.

darthspino, read this thread in it's entirity, most of what you asked has been covered already...if you still have questions, then let me know.

9. mgibson

mgibson Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    There's nothing worse than a sore winner, Seb-X. ;)

Someone remind me: were the Gen Con folks involved with Celebration II? Is there any hope that CIII is going to be handled differently than before? I mean, don't get me wrong, I had a great time at CII but it was a total mess.

Anyone? Anyone?

10. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    heh...I've been nothing but a good sport I think...maybe a little poor towards those that out and out doubted what I was saying, but whatever. :p

Wizards of the Coast was the group that ran C2. Gen*Con, while having a couple people in common, is a different group all together. They put on Gen*Con here in Indy last summer, will do it again in 2004 & after C3 in 2005...they had the whole convention this year, and I susupect if you want to see how they plan on organizing things for C3, making a trip to Gen*Con 04 would be warrented. In either case, LFL & the Official Fan Club (those involved I mean) have C2 as a rock solid experience to learn from, improve upon, or in a lot of cases, just repeat what they did right.

11. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    "...and everyone keep your Friday night free, it should be a good one!!!"

What goes on friday night of the convention? Is there some huge geek party? :D

Thanks for your help Sebulba-X I will look through this thread for the info I need :)

12. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    For C2's Friday night, IK/FF/501st/RL hosted a party at the Hyatt...not part of the convention, but it should have been. ;) The Indy Knights are already planning another party, which should be bigger and better than the last one, if that's even possible. I think the 501st are already on board as co-hosts as well. You don't have to be a member of either group to come, particularly since any Star Wars fan in the Metropolitan area of Indianapolis for C2 & C3 is an honorary Indy Knight anyway. ;) :D

13. mgibson

Apr 10, 2002
    Wizards of the Coast was the group that ran C2. Gen*Con, while having a couple people in common, is a different group all together.

Thank GOD. Knowing that someone else is steering the speeder means EVERYTHING. It was only by some quick decision making and a little larceny that we were able to enjoy CII. ;)

14. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    FYI - Before I get asked anymore, I asked Sansweet directly about the Lutheran convention that is listed as being scheduled on that same week, and he said that they rescheduled, so eventually the Convention Calendar will be updated, and it will show C3 having complete control of Convention Center. woo-hoo. God bless the Lutherans and their flexible schedules. :)

15. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Thank GOD. Knowing that someone else is steering the speeder means EVERYTHING.

Didn't people say the same thing when C2 was announced? Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be at C3, I just think that having yet another company handle the third celebration is asking for the same set of problems to happen again. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out though. Thank goodness they'll have the whole convention center this time.

16. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I cant wait!
    Im in Bloomington, Just 45 miles away and I am planning on staying at the Hyitt on Friday. Im so glad they extended it to 4 days!

17. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Gen Con LLC runs the huge Gen Con gaming conventions (something going on 24 hours a day at those things), and C3 will be their third convention in Indianapolis. I went to Gen Con Indy last year, and everything was handled extremely well. C2V had the Star Wars celebs there, plus Sean Astin and John Rhys Davies were there signing autographs, and I had no problem getting to meet and get autographs from anybody. Overall, it was an extremely well-run show, and they can only improve in 2 years.

18. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Last time I only attended Sat. got a motel on the way home and ate inside the convention site.I spent about 300 for a family of three.This time I am planning to enjoy ourselves to a greater extent.If you are going in costume you probably should stay Wens. night(enjoy your pool),to be prepared.I doubt they open til around lunch the first day.I hope star wars in 30 minutes is on hand again.I really think Lucas owes us an appearance even if for a 10 minute standing ovation.I recommend staying out of the expensive restaurants to have more for the con.Eat a freakin peanut butter sandwich and pepsi.Use the 30 bucks for a hardrock outing for those limited items or a t shirt.

19. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Oh dear, poor Lutherans. But really...they would probably be more comfortable on another weekend. I mean we were all really polite (weren't we?), but we were rather...invasive. But in a good way!

20. mgibson

Apr 10, 2002
    Didn't people say the same thing when C2 was announced? Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be at C3, I just think that having yet another company handle the third celebration is asking for the same set of problems to happen again.

But at least we're dealing with a company whose sole business is conventions. They don't do this as a side to their other livelihoods. From what I've heard already, this is going to be well-planned and thought out:

Gen Con LLC runs the huge Gen Con gaming conventions (something going on 24 hours a day at those things), and C3 will be their third convention in Indianapolis. I went to Gen Con Indy last year, and everything was handled extremely well.

Amen. I'm looking forward to 2005!

21. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    These are going to be my questions for the hyperspace chat:

1) Will being a Fan Club/Hyperspace member actually mean something this time around? Last time we were supposed to get early entry and and exclusive lounge, neither of which really happened.

2) Will something be done this time to cut down on the lines, like limiting ticket sales or making sure certain content is repeated?

Those were my two biggest complaints about last time.

22. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, technically, you did get to get in an hour early if you had the fan club lanyard...it's just that everyone and their grandmother is a member of the fan club and got a lanyard.

There was a lounge, but it was so far removed from everything, nothing ever really happened in there, and there was no need to rest when you spent half your time waiting in lines.

Both were good ideas on paper, they just didn't work in reality.

23. mgibson

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, technically, you did get to get in an hour early if you had the fan club lanyard...

And keep in mind that there was ONE entrance for those thousands of people to get into. Not one entrance with several sets of doors...ONE set of doors. I'm hoping the Gen Con folks know how to coordinate the various entrances of the Indiana Convention Center to accommodate a few thousand people!

There was a lounge, but it was so far removed from everything, nothing ever really happened in there, and there was no need to rest when you spent half your time waiting in lines.

Ha! That was the truth...the good thing about that is you really got to know fans from other parts of the country since we were banding together against what turned out to be one big wait in line. I've nothing against that...as long as the communication is there. There were times when we didn't know what line we were standing in! Or the line changed mid-stream for another event!

One security guy with a pleasant attitude and a bullhorn works WONDERS for attitudes at these things. Make sure it's obvious to all what's going on.

24. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i think being a member of the fan club should get you a discount on autograph tickets. and there definately should be more then one door for the fan club entrance

25. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    The whole lanyard thing was really kinda questionable. I know lots of people never got theirs in the mail when they ordered their passes. You had to get in line to get them at C2 when you got there. Then when I got mine, nobody asked my name or anything. I just said I was supposed to get a lanyard and they just gave me one. Anyone could've walked up and gotten a fan club lanyard at the event if they had asked.

I remember my friends and I went to the fan club lounge "because we could" and then I remember saying, "where is everybody?" If there were more than ten people in there when I went, I missed them. It was a nice thought, but that's about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.