main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I love you too"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    We all know the famous scene from ESB:

Leia: "I love you"

Han: "I know"

The rumors I've read suggest that either Kershner or Harrison Ford made up the line "I know" while on the set filming Empire. One rumor I've heard is that they had done the scene so many times that although Ford had been responding "I love you too" (the way it was in the script), by the umpteenth take, he finally replied with the famous line "I Know".

I was watching ESB the other night and wondering how the scene would have played out if Han had said "I love you too" instead of "I Know". Naturally, there's not much humor in "I love you too" and the scene most certainly would have weighed out different and would have been much more serious (perhaps even cheesy).

What do you guys think? Would "I love you too" have been too cheesy? Would it have been better?

(Also, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the original script and what it contained)

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    "I love you too" is too cliché. "Remember that, cause I'll be back" is OK, but "I know" is just perfect. :cool: Harrison Ford truly is a gifted actor.

3. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    We were discussing this not too long back; as I recall, they thought it would be out of character for Han to respond, "I love you, too" so they changed it on set.

What a great move....

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I prefer the novelization line (Just remember that, 'cause I'll be back), but "I know" works well too... especially when it's echoed in ROTJ. :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    "I know" was a classic line. but i kinda think they killed it in rotj. in esb it had such better delivery.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    JK, i think the thread you are refering to is one i made up but i can't find it right now

as someone sais "I love you too" is too cliche and 'I know" has a hidden meaning on it

7. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    "I love you too"

Alomanuma_Topha! [face_love]

I hardly knew ye! [face_love]

8. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Ford's delivery of "I know" is just too cool. There is so much strength in those words as he says them, but just a little bit of quavering in his tone, letting us know he's not only scared to be frozen but also will miss his friends.

9. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    "I know" works so well because it is so in character. Being in the situation he was in, it was perfect for Han to keep his cool have a simple phrase become funny, cocky and heartwarming all at once. If he had said "I love you too", the cheese factor would have skyrocket and I might have lost a bit of respect for him. Not because he told her he loved her, but in the way he did it. It would have been like him saying "I love you and I'm scared and now everyone knows that". with "I know", it was like he said "I love you and I'm scared, but I won't let everyone else know that."

10. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    You're dead-on, 4LOM, the slight tremble he has when he says "I know" is fantastic.

11. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    To me 'I know' seemed to say everything Y'know like I'll be back don't worry, I think it was a great way to say to Leia you have to be strong cause I'm coming back if he said I love you too it would to me at least would seem to final. It was such a nice way to sum up how they felt even though through the movies they were arguing.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The rumors I've read suggest that either Kershner or Harrison Ford made up the line "I know" while on the set filming Empire. One rumor I've heard is that they had done the scene so many times that although Ford had been responding "I love you too" (the way it was in the script), by the umpteenth take, he finally replied with the famous line "I Know".

It's not a rumor, it's what happened.
    The whole thing is discussed in the Annotated Screenplays. I, in fact, transcribed the whole entry onto these boards the last time we had this duscussion.

13. Darth_Considerate

Darth_Considerate Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    Sadly, this line will be changed on the DVD because it does not represent Lucas' "true vision" of Star Wars. The line will be reverted to "I love you too." Since Harrison Ford refused to record it, it will be dubbed in by Lucas himself.

(okay, so I'm kidding.)

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    "I know" is perfect. It is Solo's true character.

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Argh....why must this topic pop up at least once a year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.