main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I:m in Cambridge right now.....

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by WormieSaber, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Hey peeps. I'm visiting this area from the states (california) and thought it would be cool to post this. I'm at Cambridge university right now in a library. What a cool place. So far I've been to London, York, Cantebury, New Castle, and Oxford, and even traveled over to Scotland for a couple days!
    It's kind of cold over here as compared to california. When I left it was 90F and it's about 20C here. Beautiful cathedrals and university itself. Oxford is the best... :)
    :)

2. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Oxford is the best... [face_plain]

:p

Enjoy Cambridge - the best university town in this country. Will you still be there in a few weeks? Place is dead with no undergrads around.

Oh - if you're there on Sunday - go to King's College at around 10pm. Go through the arch, past the Porters' Lodge into the quad & turn left - go through the double doors straight ahead of you, then up the staircase to your left to the top floor. There you'll find the grad bar - a huge assorment of cocktails for around £2. The people in there might look like mafiosi, but they're just European academics & lots of fun.

Edit - oh yeah - if decide to go to the grad bar, I wouldn't mention politics if you're a Bush supporter.

3. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Darn, I read this post too late. I didn't go up to the grad bar. :p But we did go inside of King's college. During the day you have to pay to go inside. Loved the cathedral.

I'm sensing some kind of rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge. :p We went punting in Cambridge and we saw the buildings used on the filming of Harry Potter and Chariots of Fire. I liked this one club in Oxford. I wasn't too thrilled with London, to be honest. I enjoyed Oxford and Cambridge way more.

4. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Cathedral? That's my chapel :p It is a beautiful building though - I love the fan-vaulted ceiling, although I don't think much of the Rubens altarpiece, or of the terrible accoustics.

I had sex in there once during evensong (in one of the side chapels) :)

Rivalry? Yep! It's all really stupid & childish - but I still think Oxford's a dump :p

edit - to avoid paying to go 'round Oxford/Cambridge colleges, just say you're a member of the university. You may then be asked which college - just confidently say 'Queens' or 'Trinity' and you'll be fine at Ox or Cam.

5. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to agree that Oxford's a dump. Mainly 'cause they rejected me. ;) *typing this from the university of Bristol*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.