main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?I?m not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk.?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Nute Gunray tells Dooku that he will not ?sign the treaty? to join the CIS until Padmé is dead. (?I?m not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk.?) Dooku reassures Nute that he is ?a man of his word.?

However, in the very next scene, the leaders of various organizations are sitting around the table, and Dooku says that ?the Trade Federation has already pledged their support? and Nute nods in agreement.

What changed his mind?

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Dooku is lying or exaggerating with the consent of the TF?

3. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    They why did Gunray nod in agreement? He could have said "No, not yet! Padme isn't dead!"

Unless Dooku was using a mind trick... :p

4. AnakinSkywalker082

AnakinSkywalker082 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    was this before or after padme and anakin were captured (i don't remember)

but if if was after then maybe he figured her death was in the bag

5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Wow, that's a very good point, Ousley. I doubt Dooku used a mind trick on Gunray, but then again, Nemodians are very weak-minded beings. ;)

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    No, it goes straight from him saying he won't join until she's dead to the scene at the table with no break in between.

7. AnakinSkywalker082

AnakinSkywalker082 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    maybe he used a jedi mind trick on him :D

8. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    It`s called a "Dialogue Malfunction..."

9. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    lucas hoped you wouldn't notice, which nobody did (till now)

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    But Dooku also needs to look as powerful as he can be in soliciting the other senators, something Gunray, a cunning politician, would certainly understand. If he has given Nute Gunray his word that he'll do everything to kill Amidala, then it's likely Gunray isn't going to pass up a chance to benefit from all of this.

I don't think it's a dialogue malfunction. It's more likely Dooku simply made a pact with him to use the Trade Fed. as an example of the CIS' growing power in the promise that he'll take out the Senator for them. I think Gunray is just trusting Dooku too much.

11. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    The TF took his word. Very simple. But note they later tell Jango to "finish her off" as the job was not done yet that was clear.

Finally, they stare at Dooku before they get their ships back into space. They aren't happy. But do they really want to upset Dooku a former Jedi? Probably not! :p

12. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    My opinion is that the Trade Federation leaders knew it was too late to back out, but they decided that they could still try to get a few concessions from Dooku by putting on a show. But when the leaders of the Seperatists met, they knew that they needed to show support for the cause.

13. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Wouldn't the much bigger question in all this be why in the world Nute Gunray would want the Senator who's leading the opposition to the creation of a Grand Army of the Republic (his presumtive future opponents) dead?? I think the Trade Federation and all its allies would be propping her up for goodness sake. I just don't understand how no one in the room objects to this. Dooku says something like "with our combined armies the Republic will have to agree to our demands." If the Republic votes to create an army to rival or exceed that of the Separatists would that not then be a setback to their getting their demands met?

14. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Nute had a personal agenda against Padmé, though. The Separatists wanted to fight the Republic, that's why they made so many droids and had them all ready at the arena. Dooku was prepared because he knew that the Republic had a clone army on the way.

15. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    Your first point I don't really have a problem with although Nute got over his betrayal by Darth Sideous enough to be back with him in ROTS, and Darth Sideous was the one who really screwed him over. I really don't see how someone who's a practical enough business man to be head of the Trade Federation is going to be petty enough to carry a grudge over someone whose planet he invaded and tried to kill because she ...didn't want to allow him to invade her planet and kill her? Did she kill him when she had the chance? What did she do, prosecute him to the full extent of the law, that obviously didn't do much as he's free.

The second point just makes the arguement in my post even stronger. Okay they wanted to fight the republic, so they didn't want Padme to stop the Republic from creating an army because then it wouldn't have been a fair fight? I imagine all the Separatists (out of the emperor's master plan loop) were probably thinking that Republic not having an army was going to be a good thing.

16. dontlookatmethatway

Jul 5, 2005
    I think that Sideous told Dooku to tell the Separatists that the Republic definitely had an army coming and Nute then decided that he would try to get back at Padme because there was no reason to keep her alive.

17. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    Keep her alive? What was the point of having her dead? Why does she suspect Dooku is behind the attempts on her life? Dooku is (perceptably)trying to lead a separatist movement that could only become bolder and more empowered by the weakness of the Republic. She is trying to prevent the Republic from creating an army to fight the separatists.

The separatists seemed pretty surprised to me when the Army did show up to have had any forewarning. I don't have access to the movie right now but I seem to recall someone even asking aloud in the retreat scene, how did they get an army.

18. dontlookatmethatway

Jul 5, 2005
    Dooku might have said that the Republic would have an army but maybe he didn't mention how soon the Republic would get it.

19. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    This is the dialogue I wasn't able to remember earlier regarding the separatists' surprise at the arrival of the Republic Army.

Nute: The Jedi have amassed a huge army.
    Dooku: That doesn't seem possible. How could the jedi come up with an army so quickly?

So maybe Dooku told them the Republic was attempting to create an army? If this is the case then why would no one at the separatist meeting object to the Trade Federation's desire to kill the Senator trying to stop the Republic from creating an army?

20. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Dooku did not say:

"Viceroy Gunray has signed his name to the treaty." He said he pleged his support. From the previous scene it'sobvious that Gunray is in league with Dooku, he simply hasn't signed anything. A verbal contract.

21. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I don't think Gunray would want to upset THE COUNT , [face_devil] [face_laugh] . Count is known to fight with scrawny green men, oh wait that was after that talk. ;) .

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
  23. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Well, if there is no explanation, I'm sure it was a mindtrick then ;)

24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Or that Gunray's just an idiot.

25. CountCuckoo

CountCuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Yeah Nute's just probably an idiot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.