main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I made a short with a lightsaber duel, would love input

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by koalaintheusa, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koalaintheusa

koalaintheusa Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2011
    Hey so I write for a website called www.ihogeek.com and we started doing video shorts so I figured I'd practice my editing skills. The second episode we did has a lightsaber duel so please let me know what you think and share input =) And SORRY that the video uploaded so small when I rendered it from After Effects. I haven't figured out why it did that so if anyone has a tip to fix that let me know.

Well here it is!

http://youtu.be/CpzIg1uzmFU

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    First of all, congrats on getting your (presumably) first lightsaber film done!

A couple of points

The rotoscoping and masking is pretty good, so kudos. But some flashes when the sabers collide would make a massive improvement.

But one thing really bugged me was the black frames inbetween each shot.

3. koalaintheusa

Aug 18, 2011
    Yeah, I got a comment on the black spaces in between scenes so I'll be not including those in episode 3. I appreciate the rotoscoping compliment as it took me FOREVER to do 4 light sabers worth of it.

4. koalaintheusa

Aug 18, 2011
    What would you recommend for flashes? I hadn't thought of that before.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A quick google search should help you out there. But what you shouldn't use is lens flares!

Have a read of the lightsaber sticky thread at the top of the forum :)

http://boards.theforce.net/fan_films_fan_audio_scifi_3d/b10015/22268323/p1/?256

Hope that helps!

6. ResisterOfEvil

ResisterOfEvil Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2007
    First lightsaber video? Amazing! My first one turned out so bad I never even posted it :p Well done!

7. burkevader

burkevader Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2008
    I'm on board with exactly what Resister said....for a first attempt pretty awesome!!!

Props

8. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I've never really understood the desire to do flares without artifacts. I did a flare made to match the real flares from the sun, with artifacts, in my LCC entry this year, using kramer's optical flares plugin.

9. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Cuz that's how it is in the movies? Sure, the sabers are inconsistent, but that's how the flares look.
    I just find the extra artifacting to be a distraction. The simple flash is enough.

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Nice work with the lightsabers. I already read the sticky thread, and did some work with lightsabers in photoshop but I'm wondering if there is a good, easy to understand tutorial on how to do lightsabers in after effects. Any suggestions? I know this is a repetitive question, so sorry in advance. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.