main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I made myself an Artoo

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by GuanoLad, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    I made an Artoo unit for a shot in the Jedi Heritage fanfilm. It's actually going to be an Imperial droid, so he'll be recoloured, but I figure it's best to make him in the default R2-D2 colours first, so you can see him in a more familiar guise.

He's not perfectly accurate - there are a few things that are out of proportion or a bit rough around the edges, but he's essentially all there and looking good enough for our uses.

[image=http://www.guanolad.com/3d/images/artoo-detoo_tripod.jpg]

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Looks nice! With a bit more detailing you'd have one of the best I've seen thus far. Looking forward to seeing it in action!

3. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    Here's him all textured up to be an Imperial droid, and here he is "on set".

[image=http://www.guanolad.com/3d/images/artoo_red.jpg]

[image=http://www.guanolad.com/3d/images/artoo_corridor_test01.jpg]

4. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Not bad at all. You could improove the lighting on the virtual set

5. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    i may be mistaken, but that doesn't look like a virtual set, it looks like a physical set (on second thought, there are reflections on the walls, but the floor looks physical)

either way, I love the paint scheme on your R2 unit

6. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    The evil artoo looks cool. Good work.

7. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    It does look fairly realistic. Almost too realistic to me. Looks like a cheap physical set at the high school gym or something. But I think it's good for a fan film. R2 is good too... although not the "best" as one person said. There are A LOT of good R2 units out there. But for your purposes the model is perfectly fine.

8. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    The best I've ever seen was MVerta's, at Scifi3D mesh. But this guy is mad.

Well real or not, lighting on your set isn't really good, that's why I think it looks fake. Sorry, don't want to be rude

9. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I said "one of the best". ;)

10. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    I know there are many Artoos out there better than mine. John Jongsma springs to mind. I only created it in a few hours in Lightwave. I'm not as obsessive as those who spend weeks or months on a model. I tend to take shortcuts.

As for the set, it's a single frame taken from Jedi Heritage, which I've then built a virtual set for reflections and shadows. The lighting in the virtual set was done to almost match the onset lights, but none of it is carefully measured. It was actually used for a totally separate scene, so the lights are placed for that original shot, and not ideal for this Artoo test.

The main problem with that test image is that the Artoo is rendered in a more controlled digital environment, while the set pic is just a simple framecap, so it looks bit hyper-real and somewhat computer-graphicy. In motion it's a bit better, as the interlacing adds a bit of degradation. For our purposes, however, it's perfectly adequate. And the final shots that use the model won't have him front and centre, he's just a background model to fill up some space and flesh out the set.

11. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I'm looking forward to seeing this project come to life - best of luck to you! :D

12. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    That's very impressive. The only real problem I see with it is the fact that the texturing looks too "clean". Other than that I think it's a fantastic model.

I was actually going to create a thread for my artoo. I finished it a few months ago for my fanfilm. Here it is.

[image=http://www.imranafzal.com/portfolio/3d/artoo1.jpg]

13. ScaPaCamem

ScaPaCamem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2003
    I think yours could use a bit more texturing work. Look at this picture and compare it to yours:

[image=http://swg.stratics.com/content/lore/personas/images/r2d2.jpg]

14. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    My blue Artoo is certainly too clean, it doesn't have any texturing on it. That's because I will be using the black Artoo anyway, which probably won't show too much texturing. It's hard enough to see any detail as it is, I may have to make him very dark grey instead.

15. GuanoLad

Jul 8, 1998
    Here's Artoo in a frame from the final shot, short of gaining approval from the Director. I'm quite happy with the believability.

[image=http://www.guanolad.com/3d/images/artoo_in_corridor.jpg]

16. joek1010

joek1010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    Wow, looks real nice! The only part that really gives it away is the dome (maybe too much specular). But it looks really good for just a quick roll by.

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I concur. Very well done. :)

18. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    That does look pretty cool.
    Lets just say I wish I could do as well as you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.