main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'I made this!' -- original worlds & background material ("What's the Story" knockoff attempted 7/4)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by poor yorick, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I suppose the standard galactic calendar will work, maybe with some variances. This culture can actually be found on the moon of a midrim planet, so that will work. As for the government--I think a theocracy would be a good idea. It'll add a good atmosphere, and to top it all off, it makes me laugh that a whole government will be based on three Jansonlike Jedi. :)

2. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    ok...I know I have the order of the months, holidays and fete weeks somewhere, but I'm not sure. For the purpose of your fic, it's probably not exactly necessary to name each month, unless you're the type to develop a lot of background information. But you'll want names for the holiday's and fete weeks. you can base them off of either basic or some sort of native ancient language (the way all of the English day and month names are based on latin and germanic mythology) Religious holidays in particular tend to be based on older languages because religions are almost always conservative. If you take that track, we'll need a rough phonology, an idea of what the language will sound like.

On the govt. front, if the three Jedi are the religious and political leaders of the culture, how about calling them the Holy Triumvirtae? I think the members of a triumvirtae are called something specific...where's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire when you need it...;)

~Lurker

3. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I like that. *makes note*

The phonology I can handle, as long as I know exactly what I need. I've dabbled in language creation before. (Oh, all the things I've learned trying to distract myself from high school. Thank the Force it's over!)

I can come up with a naming language in a few hours. I'll do it tomorrow. I want at least one major holiday with a good tale behind it, and a few obscure customs that my heroes can break so the Atriksa will feel it's honorable to attack them. The trick is figuring out what they'd celebrate, and what would be sacred to them. They live on the moon of a gas giant in the midrim. The moon is mostly water, but I haven't yet thought of what the normal people do for a living. I suppose they fish, or harvest some sort of native plant, but I haven't thought it through that far.

4. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    One good holiday, eh? Hmm. The day three Jedi combined forces to defeat a major threat to the planet?

The day three more Jedi are appointed as the successors of the original Triumvirate? I imagine that'd be a great occasion. That'd be a whole festival.:)

EDIT: I also have a list of the Galactic days/months...if you want it.

5. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL, yes, a whole festival. That'd work!

These three Jedi are Iraph Dellani, Kyrul Sorik, and Aurine Halcyon. They were survivors of the attack on Dantooine during Knights of the Old Republic. (For anyone who follows KotOR, there was one of each Jedi Class--Guardian, Sentinel, and Consular.) They crash-landed on Sephir, the moon where they Atriksa live. Now, these aren't your ordinary Jedi--Aurine, being a Halcyon, was very skilled at illusion while lacking the TK ability. She used her ability to project memories and disguises to help the Atriksa negotiate a deal with a semi-hostile cohabiting species, the Nuka. In return, the three Jedi were allowed to live peacefully on the planet. Over the years, the story became exagerrated into legend, and eventually the three Jedi were worshipped as the great divine guardians of the Atriksa in the war against the Nuka. :)

Not to say that these three Jedi wouldn't have found it amusing. Kyrul Sorik is an ancestor of Wes Janson. ;)

EDIT: That'd be awfully handy to have, if you don't mind. :) Thanks a lot!

6. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Three questions:

Heat Shields?

Do you think a ship would need some kind of heat shield to enter the atmospher at awsome speeds or would they use regular shields, or do they enter slow enough not to need them? Thanks.

NAboo Changes after TPM

Would the government of Naboo change once Gungans became more intrigrated into the culture. Would one person rule them all, or would they remain 2 different 'countries' on NAboo? Thanks.

Twi'lek Queen of Naboo

I was wondering, if a Twi'lek, lets say an adopted daughter of a Queen and the only daughter, gets voted into command of the Naboo, what changes do you guys think will occur with a Twi'lek Jedi in charge? Thanks.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I was wondering, if a Twi'lek, lets say an adopted daughter of a Queen and the only daughter, gets voted into command of the Naboo, what changes do you guys think will occur with a Twi'lek Jedi in charge? Thanks.

Highly doubtful. For starters, a) a Jedi would not go into politics, let alone be elected into office without first leaving the order. And second of all, it's very improbable of a Twi'lek becoming queen of the Naboo. Naboo only has humans and gungans. The two cultures ignored each other for the longest time, so the humans on Naboo have always been goverened by humans, and Gungans with Gungans. Having a non-human in office is highly improbable unless you are writing far far into the future. But even then, even getting a Gungan elected would be hard. It would be similar (no racial flames intented) to having an African American president of the US. It could very well be probable, but is unlikely in the very near future.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    For an extra holiday, I have Fesilothem, which I've mentioned in a few stories. It's basically Alderaanian Hannukah, except you don't stop celebrating it (with presents and meals) until your oil runs out and you gauge how much you are loved by that. In my Holiday fic, I had Leia's only go for 5 days at the longest when she was younger, then increase to 10 the year that Alderaan was destroyed.

9. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Are you sure Miana Kenobi, that she would have to leave the order to be in the goverment? Leia is Jedi in training (is she a Jedi yet?) and she is in polotics, and (i haven't read it, but) didn't Tenel Ka take the crown of Hapes in the NJO?

Edit: also, Cighal, the Mon Cal Jedi/healer is an ambassador with Mon Calamari.

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    It depends on what era you're doing it in, I think. If it's in the Old Republic, then most defintely not. There are a few changes in the New Order, but I'm not sure that Jedi would be in politics even then.

Leia isn't really a "Jedi-in-training". She's really little more than a Force-sensitive who has had some training and dabbles in the Force a little bit. I don't think she really has any intention to finish her training.

As for Tenel Ka, didn't she have to give up the Order to take her throne? Or am I wrong on that?

EDIT: I think ambassadorial duties were always part of the Jedi job description. Qui-gon and Obi-wan were ambassadors for the Supreme Chancellor. I think being an ambassador is different than regular politics for Jedi.

11. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Yes, but she isn't just an ambassador from the Republic to go do stuff for them. She is the official ambassador to Mon Calamari if i remember correctly, even aftert she became a Jedi.

12. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Still--special conditions, I think. She was an ambassador before she came for training.

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Like Emilie said, it depends on the era. Old Jedi Order, no. New Jedi Order, maybe.

14. SlaneTransportLtd

SlaneTransportLtd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    This time I've got a question...

How good are lightsabres against earth-type guns?

I've got a feeling they might not be very good, as the bullets might either disappear (not good for deflection) or go straight through the blade. Anyone got any ideas?

STL
    <It's a good idea for Jedi to hide when machine guns are around!>

15. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that earth-guns', just like other slugthrowers, bullets, or slugs, would just evaperate into it. They wouldn't reflect, and wouldn't go through it. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

16. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I got the naming language down. Working on setting now. :)

17. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    *sigh* I've been commanded to delurk somewhere... so here I am (ta-da!).

Why am I lurking in thise thread? Well... I've created a planet with accompanying culture, backstory, and religion.

The world is Ardiese and its inhabitants are human. Ardiese has four moons, and the inhabitants practice a form of lunar worship, with special holidays when all four moons are full (Sahenta Solstice), or when all four are absent (Enhenta Solstice). The world is cold by comparison to most temperate planets, but quite capable of supporting agriculture (settled by farmers from Garqi).

They don't have anything against outsiders, but like to keep to themselves. They also don't particularly care for Jedi. Only one Ardiesian in known galactic history has ever been a Jedi.

Ardiese sported one of the galaxy's larger commercial shipyards until about 950 years before ANH, when a 20-year war with a neighboring world left the planet in ruins. During the Saga time-period, Ardiese was an agricultural center, but also had underground foundries for creating power supplies and weapon-control systems - many of which inexplicably found their way into the hands of the Rebellion. Nearly wiped out again during the NJO era by the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This probably isn't the best day to start this, it being a holiday where most of the U.S. actually goes *outside,* ::shudders:: but I thought it would be a fun place to run a (free) TFN version of the Star Wars' official site's "What's the Story" feature, which is cool, but for Hyperspace members only. Since this is a thread about making up your own background material, it seemed a good place to put it.

Basically, you get a picture of a person, place or thing, and then you write a backstory for it. Make it long or short--however you want, and post it here. I've collected a bunch of pictures and figured I'd post one a week. Hopefully, we can squeeze some plot bunnies out of this. :D If you do write a story based on an idea you got from here, consider posting a link to it, so we can see how a *major* backstory is done. If you don't mind if other people use all or part of your backstory, then please let us know. If an author doesn't say either way whether they want others to use what they've written, the best policy is probably to ask permission or assume the answer is "no."

For the moment, at least, I've been collecting non-Star Wars images, mostly because I don't have the ability to play DVD's on my computer or do screen captures off my TV, so it would be hard to get an image of the 5th alien over to the left, halfway down the screen in the TPM pod racing scene. Yes, some of the images are of real-world things, and some are probably recognizeable to various people. In that case, just pretend. :p It's all Star Wars world stuff. Really.

Okay, first picture:

Who is *this?*

[image=http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/cyberpunkandrogenouspersongogg.gif]

19. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Do we post the story here?

Yeah, I've been lurking in this thread for a while. :) I'm currently working a totally OC fic, and believe me this thread has been very helpful. :)

-Krystal

20. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    *That* is Cerinia nel-Gi, the self-styled queen of Holodramas, on the set in her latest role as the tough-as-durasteel femme-fatale of the notoriously overbudget Grave Robber XXXVII - In Your Dreams. This still-shot was taken while she was awaiting (rather impatiently) for the set to be configured for the holodrama's swoop-bike chase scene, which was arguably the best sequence in the entire drama (eight standard minutes of pointless bikes, boobs, explosions, and not a hint of dialogue).

She claims to have been a Corellian spice-smuggler before turning to acting as a career, but it's a rather well-known bit of trivia that she was born and raised on Kuat in a wealthy ship-architect's family, only turning to acting when she was expelled from university for cheating.

21. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    I'm a little confused about the intent of this thread? Are we to share information about the worlds/cultures/species/et al that we have created?

22. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Seeing the links in the first post for ship names prompted me to share the list I?ve accumulated from the indices of different books I?ve got / got out of the library. No duplicates, but some variant spellings which refer to the same ship (which can happen with non Latin-Alphabet names) or to different ships where they changed a spelling slightly when they named the newer ship after the older.

. http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/DOWNLOADS/SHIP_NAMES.txt .

Some of these will be useful for SW, others will not.

23. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    *That* is Cerinia nel-Gi, the self-styled queen of Holodramas, on the set in her latest role as the tough-as-durasteel femme-fatale of the notoriously overbudget Grave Robber XXXVII - In Your Dreams. This still-shot was taken while she was awaiting (rather impatiently) for the set to be configured for the holodrama's swoop-bike chase scene, which was arguably the best sequence in the entire drama (eight standard minutes of pointless bikes, boobs, explosions, and not a hint of dialogue).

I'd buy this film.

You have a creative mind that is both worthy of admiration and a source for inspiration. Now I have to catch up on all of your other works.

I'm still laughing over that paragraph.

24. Artemesielle

Artemesielle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Inspired by the great original backstory-ing I've seen here, I've been bunny-badgered into developing a unique couple of festivals/traditions for Naboo.

The biggest one being a direct inspiration from the Japanese Tanabata Festival. xD Still not quite sure how I'll pull it off. It fits perfectly in my head, but then when I try to write it down in any kind of coherent, logical fashion, it comes out all wonkified.

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The point of the thread is to provide resources and inspiration for authors seeking to create "fan made" worlds, characters, objects, etc.

People haven't seemed terribly interested in workshopping stories already in progress (although they certainly can), and it seemed something else was needed if this thread was going to remain viable. If a period of time goes by when nobody's got anything to workshop or any links to add, then people can still use this thread to make up SW-related things just for fun. Sometimes things made up "for no reason" turn into great plot bunnies or story details, either for the person who created them or for someone else who takes an idea and develops it in a new direction.

I actually already made up some random stuff about different kinds of crystals in a post above--just because it was fun and I was procrastinating. :p I didn't need those story details just then, but someone else liked one and asked if she could work the idea in a new way, which I was fine with.

That said, research links and actual workshoppable story sections are more than welcome. It just seemed that they were fairly rare, and that the thread wasn't doing its intended job of helping people create original SW story elements.

There may end up being a variety of "conversations" going on at once . . . but I haven't known that to hurt creativity any.

Artemesielle: Where in the writing process are you having the most trouble? Is there something that isn't working about the idea of the festivals, or are you struggling with getting down important details in a way that doesn't interrupt the story flow too much? (Or is it something else?)

Thanks for the link, _JM_, I've added it. :)

[face_laugh] @ Arin . . . I'll have to think pretty hard to try and top that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.