'I made this!' -- original worlds & background material ("What's the Story" knockoff attempted 7/4)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ophelia, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Artemesielle Jedi Knight

star 1
    Weeeell, it's really my own apprehension more than anything else. : P To paraphrase my idol, I find my lack of faith in my own writing skills disturbing.

I've been able to outline it decently enough I think, it's just I'm worried about how to present it without sounding like I'm vomiting out useless exposition. Meh. *thwaps self*

Not to mention I don't feel anymore confident after reading some of Ishtar's original BG stuff. ;.;

Aaaanywho, the Tanabata. This is the abbreviated Japanese version's story of course. xD

A celestial princess fell in love with a loyal farm boy. They married, but the two of them were so enamoured of each other that they neglected their work. The girl's father ordered that the Milky Way (amanogawa, or river of heaven) seperate them forever. She was so heartbroken he permitted that they see each other one day a year. That's the day of the festival.

xD
  2. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    That's a nice story . . :) One of the oldest exposition tricks in the book is to have an "outsider" character asking questions or looking cofused, so the characters who know all the background information have to explain. That way you can get your exposition in dialogue, which keeps the story running more smoothly than stopping everything and explaining in your "narrator voice." Are you using that Naboo/Japanese legend to parallel something that's happening in your story? If so, then fitting it in smoothly will be easier . . . maybe characters have star-crossed love on their minds anyway, so it would be natural to bring up the festival story. If you time it right, such as just before or after a major complication in a love story, the legend won't seem "extra" at all; it'll add power and meaning to the events in your story.

Of course, the very short way you just described it here could be tucked in using a "narrator voice" and it wouldn't be any big deal.

Is any of that useful to you?
  3. Artemesielle Jedi Knight

star 1
    Reassurance and advice is always helpful. ^_^ Thank you. And in a few ways it does kind of parallel the story. In a way. Mainly featured in flashbacks more than likely.

^^ w00t. This section is going to take longer than I thought to write after all.
  4. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    : One of the oldest exposition tricks in the book is to have an "outsider" character asking questions or looking cofused, so the characters who know all the background information have to explain. That way you can get your exposition in dialogue, which keeps the story running more smoothly than stopping everything and explaining in your "narrator voice."

To ophelia you listen.
  5. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yes, that's how we got all those delightful padawanani anecdotes in SWoA.
  6. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally got a chance to read through this thread. :) Very cool.

Now I do need some help in this area. I've been trying to put together a new world past the Outer Rim for a furture episode of my series. My original idea keeps changing as I try to make it fit parts of the story better and I guess I need some help and to bounce what I'm thinking about doing off of people. [face_blush]

Anyway here's my latest thoughts: past the Outer Rim there is a planet called Clystra. Clystra is mostly water but the one small continent there is inhabited by a culture of humans that while intelligent, artistic, and peaceful, they lack technology and they are unaware of the outside galaxy. Also inhabiting the planet, situated high in the mountains are a group of Force priestesses, who ARE aware of the rest of the galaxy and do have some technology. The original preistesses were from the rest of the GFFA but they left during the Jedi/Sith wars in order to concentrate on the study of the Force and to escape the fighting and aggression several thousand years before. They have become very rigid and set in tradition over the years. This has rubbed off on the primitive culture, as they have become god-like to the people there (Think the Greek gods living on Mt. Olympus). They even give over their Force sensitive girls to train with the priestesses as a sort of sacrifice to the godesses and in fact the girls are taken to help continue the priestesses line over the years. In return, the priestesses do look after the people, and they protect them from the occational outside invaders from other planets. These actions, and other actions of the "godesses" become myths in the culture of these people.

So, I'm wondering first if what I have so far makes sense and works. Are there any "holes" I need to/should fill in here?

sg
  7. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    just adding to the above thoughts,

I've been trying to figure out how to explain how these humans get there. I mean, in the GFFA do humans develope on different planets or are they all originally from the same place? Or do they know in the GFFA?

One possibility I thought of was perhaps there was an expedition into space, possibly people trying to escape religious procecution or a dying planet, and they wind up way out in the Outer Rim crash landing on this planet. Then, after many thousands of years on the planet, they've lost the technology and gone back to this simplistic lifestyle of farming, hunting, etc, and any tales of a life in a land "far far away" is just that, a story. Or something like that. :p Then later on, the priestesses come along and get involved with them.

One question I had though was how long in the GFFA has space travel been possible?

sg
  8. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Is the people's origin a plot point, or something you just feel you need to know to write about them? If there's no immediate story-related reason to know their origins, you could probably get away with not putting your effort there. I confess that I have no idea how humans got to my mostly-pre-spaceflight planet in the Longest Fanfic Novel in the Universe, although I did have a dim idea that they might have been the descendants of people traveling on a pre-hyperdrive generation ship that took so long to reach its destination that much of the knowledge of the people's original home was lost. It's 8 light-minutes between the sun and Earth, FWIW, and that's no distance at all, in interstellar terms. If you had to travel anywhere at a speed *below* the speed of light, it would take you for-freaking-ever.

As for how long people in the GFFA have had spaceflight . . . since we're talking original worlds, as long as you want them to have had it. :p The Republic has been around 1,000 years as of TPM, so interstellar transportation has been efficient enough to hold together a government that spans almost the whole galaxy and which demands a lot of communication between worlds for at least that long. In ANH Ben says that the Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy for over a thousand generations--assuming 20-year generations, that's 20,000 years. You'd think that there's have to be some form of faster-than-light travel for him to say "in the galaxy" and not just "in this one planetary system over here." Maybe 20,000 years ago marks the invention of something that's the equivalent of a hyperdrive. (Hyperdrive itself may be comparatively new, since between the PT and the OT we see what looks like a major development--the changeover from a need for hyperdrive rings to the integrated hyperdrive that never works on the Millenium Falcon. Okay, maybe it's not such a major development.)
  9. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    well... it could be. [face_thinking] I'm still trying to figure out some things on the plot. One OC I think is going to be a sort of galactic anthropolgist who is studying them so I do feel I need some background for them for him to reveal. I also like to have poked any holes in the story I can possibly think of, and fix them, before I have the story written and readers are then poking holes in the story. ;)

I'm hesitant to say/act like that they originated there, because they would have to have ancestors in common with other humans somewhere down the line. It's unlikely that they'd just show up there and be the same as other humans. I don't know a lot about the EU but I would assume there is some info somewhere about where humans actually originated in the GFFA. (and if anyone has that info, btw, please let me know ;) )

Yeah, you're right spaceflight had to be going on for some time. Hm... another idea is perhaps the ancestors were taken as slaves from one of the core worlds many thousands of years ago to work on this world, and the ship crashed or disease attacked their captors and killed them off, and this left the humans to populate this new world or something like that. I might be able to work that in as a plot point. Hmmm... Yeah I think that'll work.

sg

edit: okay I've been researching. :D While I found some interesting pages and threads, there doesn't seem to be anything set on the origin of humans or an original home planet. I'm thinking about possibly making Alderaan the origin for the sake of this fic, if I decide it needs to be mentioned.
  10. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    Then again... *sigh* I just found this on the Timetales site...

The first human colonists arrive at Alderaan after many centuries of travel, and discover the remnants of the lost Killik civilization. The early colonists included miners, but most were retired businessmen or wealthy dignitaries searching for a beautiful world on which to spend their lives. The earliest colonists refused to pave their new home with ferrocrete - one Coruscant was enough for them. Instead, cities were built into canyon crevasses, beneath the polar ice, and on stilts in the shallow saline seas.
    "The Illustrated Star Wars Universe" and "The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons." MP: Originally, I had the Alderaan humans evolving on Alderaan after an asteroid wiped out the Killiks, but I was corrected by Dan Wallace who informed me that the humans colonized Alderaan. I conjecture the date of -27,500 BSW4, because by the time of the formation of the Republic during -25,000 BSW4, Alderaan is a booming civilization and a founding member. To accommodate this, with the hyperdrive coming into mainstream galactic use circa -25,000 BSW4, I have stated that it took centuries for the colonists to arrive at Alderaan. It is known that other species had use of sub - light space travel (Hutts, Xim the Despot), so it is plausible the colonists set forth from Coruscant and it took them many years to reach their goal. My previous note, about the evolution of humans, still can apply I believe, except for the case of Alderaan. It is plausible that in the Star Wars universe, humans evolve separately on different worlds such as Coruscant, Chandrila, and Corellia. I assume that the Coruscant humans would be the most advanced civilization out of the group. In addition, I assume that the Corellians evolved after the unknown aliens created the Corellian system. This entire scenario is plausible, as on Earth, human kind has evolved into different races on one planet. I assume that this could occur on a galaxy wide situation, and remember, that this IS fantasy / myth!

Hmmm... [face_thinking]

sg
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.