I must know how people here survive the cold

Discussion in 'Providence, RI' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    ...well, at least the wind chill. :p

My hands were burning. The wind sucks!

...I must know your secrets. Please! I am at your mercy! :(

*begs*
    [face_blush]
  2. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Bundle up as much as you can while still being able to walk and open doors. That's what I do, and I survive just fine. :)

I remember back in the days of high school marching band that some people would have these little "warming" packets to stick in their gloves. They were about the size of a couple sugar packets, just a little thicker. I don't know what they're called though, or where you'd get them.
  3. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wear layers. Also get yourself a nice warm jacket and a good pair of boots.
  4. TK7771 Jedi Master

star 4
    A bottle of Jack doesnt hurt either ;)
  5. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Yep, Layers.lots and LOTS of layers.....and a nice warm fleece scarf aint bad either ;)
  6. MonaLeia Jedi Knight

star 2
    Looking like an eskimo is my secret!! I wear mulitple shirts, a coat, gloves, a scarf, and a fleece-lined wool hat to go to class!! Don't worry, everyone else looks like a fool, too, and it's not like anyone can recognize you under all those layers! :D
  7. Tarr Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've survived it by being in San Diego and Houston the past 3 weeks :p I think it was about 70 today hehe but that'll be ending friday and back to the ridiculous cold boooo
  8. Darth Dowe Jedi Master

star 4
    Wowzers, the low for Boston on Friday (not including the wind chill!) is -15. Time to move!
  9. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    James,

What everyone is failing to tell you is that we really survive the cold here because we disapprove of it. Our Puritan background, from when we settled here back in the 1600's, simply won't allow us to acknowledge its existance. When it gets like this people go around saying, "I'm not cold, are you cold?". Asking if you're cold is a test of one's faith. If you were to admit being cold, you would be put in the stockcade in the middle of town for all to see.

Now that you know the truth, I have only one thing to ask, are you cold? [face_mischief]
  10. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    The real question is: Is it cold enough for you?
  11. idarii Jedi Master

star 4
    roseanna, i've seen and gotten those little warming packets at ski shops (and why is ski market now bike market? i demand answers!). they're great until they start getting a little too warm.

i have no secret. i get up in the freezing cold, put on assorted hats, scarves, and gloves, curse the cold, and proclaim that i am moving to hawaii.
  12. MonaLeia Jedi Knight

star 2
    I ski and I get them for skiing sometimes. We get them at ski shops or sometimes we go in with another family to buy a big box from Costco when they have them. We love Costco! I used to use them in my boots but they get hard as after a while. They are nice for gloves though. Some ski gloves have special pockets specially made for putting those packets in them. I had a pair of those once... until they ripped... Ah well!

And I have class now so back into the cold I go!
  13. Phlonet Jedi Knight

The cold really isn't the issue - yeah, -10 is cold, but its not too bad. The issue is the wind - you need layers that block wind, not just keep you warm. A wind breaker between one of your warmth layers does help.

Oh, and if you have to spend any time standing outside, wear extra socks. The ground will suck away the warmth, right through boots.

Honestly, I'm loving this. A cold crisp morning, the sun shining... its perfect! Then again, Rhode Island is the furthest south I've ever lived, so I might be off my rocker :)
  14. Dex1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Get something to cover your nose/mouth. It makes about as much difference as wearing a hat! Keeps your lungs from burning with freezing air ;)
  15. idarii Jedi Master

star 4
    i've actually heard it's better to wear just one pair of socks, cause more than that will make your feet sweat and then it will freeze. sounds lovely, huh? :p
  16. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    A bottle of Jack doesnt hurt either

That will do more harm than good.

i've actually heard it's better to wear just one pair of socks, cause more than that will make your feet sweat and then it will freeze. sounds lovely, huh?

That and once the ice melts you won't be able to sit near anyone for hours due to the smell [face_laugh]!
  17. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, no worries now...

I'm in above freezing weather.
    :p
  18. Phlonet Jedi Knight

One pair of socks is good if you're going to be moving around - I agree. If you're standing still though, the extra layer helps.

Course, its all moot now - its positively balmy out today!
  19. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    I love the cold!

But Layers are always good. The thing to do is not to think about it! It is so cool, the Bay is frozen! Or at least the part of the Bay outside of my house in Warwick.

I don't mind the winter. I'm actually warmer when I ski. I think it is because the Sun is always so strong whenever I ski.

Seldon
  20. Marold Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't think my bug would work too well over there now would it.
  21. itchytasty79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Here's a nearly unrelated question:

Why is it snowing? It's the end of March. I always think of March as a spring month. I've lived in E. CT all my life and I still feel voilated when it snows in March.
  22. idarii Jedi Master

star 4
    i feel completely violated as well...

but it is supposed to be nice on saturday, which is also the first day of spring. nice weather is just around the corner...let's just hope the summer doesn't get rained out like last year.

and don't forget too, it could be worse. remember the year we had the freak snowstorm in april? [face_devil]
  23. JediSaralyn Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember that day. I think we were moving...or preparing to move or something like that. It was awful.
  24. Jeffbacca Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sometimes ..... in August ... when its 99 1/2 degrees outside ... and 93 % humidity ... I wished it would snow.
  25. -Raldayen- Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love it when it's like that Jeff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.