main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

I must know how people here survive the cold

Discussion in 'Providence, RI' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    ...well, at least the wind chill. :p

My hands were burning. The wind sucks!

...I must know your secrets. Please! I am at your mercy! :(

*begs*
    [face_blush]

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Bundle up as much as you can while still being able to walk and open doors. That's what I do, and I survive just fine. :)

I remember back in the days of high school marching band that some people would have these little "warming" packets to stick in their gloves. They were about the size of a couple sugar packets, just a little thicker. I don't know what they're called though, or where you'd get them.

3. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Wear layers. Also get yourself a nice warm jacket and a good pair of boots.

4. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    A bottle of Jack doesnt hurt either ;)

5. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Yep, Layers.lots and LOTS of layers.....and a nice warm fleece scarf aint bad either ;)

6. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    Looking like an eskimo is my secret!! I wear mulitple shirts, a coat, gloves, a scarf, and a fleece-lined wool hat to go to class!! Don't worry, everyone else looks like a fool, too, and it's not like anyone can recognize you under all those layers! :D

7. Tarr

Tarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    I've survived it by being in San Diego and Houston the past 3 weeks :p I think it was about 70 today hehe but that'll be ending friday and back to the ridiculous cold boooo

8. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Wowzers, the low for Boston on Friday (not including the wind chill!) is -15. Time to move!

9. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    James,

What everyone is failing to tell you is that we really survive the cold here because we disapprove of it. Our Puritan background, from when we settled here back in the 1600's, simply won't allow us to acknowledge its existance. When it gets like this people go around saying, "I'm not cold, are you cold?". Asking if you're cold is a test of one's faith. If you were to admit being cold, you would be put in the stockcade in the middle of town for all to see.

Now that you know the truth, I have only one thing to ask, are you cold? [face_mischief]

10. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    The real question is: Is it cold enough for you?

11. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    roseanna, i've seen and gotten those little warming packets at ski shops (and why is ski market now bike market? i demand answers!). they're great until they start getting a little too warm.

i have no secret. i get up in the freezing cold, put on assorted hats, scarves, and gloves, curse the cold, and proclaim that i am moving to hawaii.

12. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    I ski and I get them for skiing sometimes. We get them at ski shops or sometimes we go in with another family to buy a big box from Costco when they have them. We love Costco! I used to use them in my boots but they get hard as after a while. They are nice for gloves though. Some ski gloves have special pockets specially made for putting those packets in them. I had a pair of those once... until they ripped... Ah well!

And I have class now so back into the cold I go!

13. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    The cold really isn't the issue - yeah, -10 is cold, but its not too bad. The issue is the wind - you need layers that block wind, not just keep you warm. A wind breaker between one of your warmth layers does help.

Oh, and if you have to spend any time standing outside, wear extra socks. The ground will suck away the warmth, right through boots.

Honestly, I'm loving this. A cold crisp morning, the sun shining... its perfect! Then again, Rhode Island is the furthest south I've ever lived, so I might be off my rocker :)

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Get something to cover your nose/mouth. It makes about as much difference as wearing a hat! Keeps your lungs from burning with freezing air ;)

15. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i've actually heard it's better to wear just one pair of socks, cause more than that will make your feet sweat and then it will freeze. sounds lovely, huh? :p

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    A bottle of Jack doesnt hurt either

That will do more harm than good.

i've actually heard it's better to wear just one pair of socks, cause more than that will make your feet sweat and then it will freeze. sounds lovely, huh?

That and once the ice melts you won't be able to sit near anyone for hours due to the smell [face_laugh]!

17. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, no worries now...

I'm in above freezing weather.
    :p

18. Phlonet

Phlonet Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    One pair of socks is good if you're going to be moving around - I agree. If you're standing still though, the extra layer helps.

Course, its all moot now - its positively balmy out today!

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I love the cold!

But Layers are always good. The thing to do is not to think about it! It is so cool, the Bay is frozen! Or at least the part of the Bay outside of my house in Warwick.

I don't mind the winter. I'm actually warmer when I ski. I think it is because the Sun is always so strong whenever I ski.

Seldon

20. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I don't think my bug would work too well over there now would it.

21. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Here's a nearly unrelated question:

Why is it snowing? It's the end of March. I always think of March as a spring month. I've lived in E. CT all my life and I still feel voilated when it snows in March.

22. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i feel completely violated as well...

but it is supposed to be nice on saturday, which is also the first day of spring. nice weather is just around the corner...let's just hope the summer doesn't get rained out like last year.

and don't forget too, it could be worse. remember the year we had the freak snowstorm in april? [face_devil]

23. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I remember that day. I think we were moving...or preparing to move or something like that. It was awful.

24. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Sometimes ..... in August ... when its 99 1/2 degrees outside ... and 93 % humidity ... I wished it would snow.

25. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003
    I love it when it's like that Jeff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.