I must learn the ways of the sauce

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ObiJohnKenobi, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Last night, as my bowl of microwaved bolognese sauce tumbled from my oven glove to smash on the kitchen floor, coating my trousers in seven secret Italian herbs and spices, my thoughts turned to what other food I might have in the freezer.

The answer to that question was FF_UK all, and it was then that I realised I only know how to make four recipes:

Boloxnese
    Chilli
    Saturday Pasta Bake
    Vague Stirfry

As this board is frequented by penniless lazy twentysomethings like myself, I thought some of you might be able to post recipes that are quick, cheap and finger-lickin good, so that I don't have to starve next week.

Help me (ObiJohnKenobi) you're my only hope.
  2. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Last night after the gym I went to Somerfields, bought a rotisserie chicken and a french stick... I ended up just bunging chicken into the french stick sarnies, but I was gonna make chicken and bacon mayonnaise... mmmmm...

Jon and Cass had this amazing maple sauce business on pork chops at the BBQ...
  3. Tanktopgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can't believe you used an ovenglove. Gaylord. That was your downfall.

Your plea for recipes amazes me. I've heard a vicious rumour that you own at least fifty seven and a half cookbooks. One of which being Leith's Cookery Bible.
  4. MomentOfTriumph Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    give in and buy the words of nigella.

and lo, she will guide you through this dark time.
  5. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay...

Do you like fresh fish? If so:

Take some tin foil 4 times larger than whatever fish you are using and fold in half width-ways.

Put the fish onto the foil and season with salt & pepper.

Squeeze a lemon onto the fish and put a few knobs of butter on top.

Use a sprinkling of dried herbs or a handfull of finely chopped fresh herbs.

Fold the foil over the fish and make an envelope, sealing the edges and turning them up.

Put into the over (gas 6) for about 15-20 mins.

Serve with boiled new potatoes

YUMMY YUM

My favourite tea.
  6. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Oh, the other really easy thing I do is cook a shedload of pasta.. preferably something like tortellini, macaroni or fusilli... penne rigatte isn't bad either... take a tin of tuna and mix with a desert spoon and a half of mayonnaise.. and a healthy dollop of salad cream.. once all the tuna is liberally covered, bung it into the hot pasta. What's left over is really really nice for breakfast or lunch cold the next day! :D
  7. MomentOfTriumph Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There's nothing that BBQ sauce, soy sauce and lemon and butter can't handle.
  9. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I use tinned salmon instead of tuna cuz I dont like tuna...

And I use mayo and tomato sause and sweetcorn.

Yummy Yum.
  10. ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling

star 4
    TTG, how did I know you'd rear your monkey head in my thread and start giving out abuse? Th'oven glove was protecting my hand from microwave thermal annhialation, and Leith's Cookery Bible is good for techinical details but extremely poor for inspiration - it doesn't even have any pictures, and you know my thoughts on books without pictures.

EDIT: Nice one, everyone else ... keep em comin. Indeed it was pointed out to me just last night as I hurled abuse at the broken bowl, that I have some fish I need to eat. Salmon steaks.
  11. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Also, jars of sause are good.

We got a Sausage Casserole sauce th'other week...it was BBQ flavour and was scrummy!
  12. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    bah! you dunno what's good for ya!

of course, the thing I've consumed the most of is just macaroni + cheese... boil up a load of macaroni.. take a lump of strong (burn the roof of your mouth strong) cheddar and grate over the top and hey presto! Used that have that for breakfast and tea every day! And lunch if my gran was making cottage pie :D
  13. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Don't forget the ketchup!
  14. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sam...I will conquer the Mesquite and Maple sauce recipe used on that Pork. It was LOVELY!!!

Oh...and I use Ketchup on my Macaroni Cheese :)
  15. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yup yup. It's a must.
  16. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    The common mistake people make is making macaroni cheese with a manky cheese sauce in a packet sauce... *blerg*.. I nearly threw up last time I had one made with that stuff... you GOTTA make your own and the stronger the cheddar the better.. else it just makes you wanna chuck...
  17. MomentOfTriumph Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. Tanktopgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's ok - th'oven glove no doubt suited you, infact I imagine it went v. well with that pvc apron with the fat womans breasts painted on it that you no doubt insist on wearing as you prance round the kitchen in true manly man stylee. You were probably flinging your bowl round with gay abandon when you dropped it. That's the real story isn't it? I also hear you cried a bit into a piece of kitchen roll.
  19. Poodu Jedi Youngling

star 6
    [image=http://ccimg.catalogcity.com/180000/184500/184537/Products/pg009-p003.jpg]

Mmm... smokey maple sauce...

And the absolute must is strong cheddar cheese with strawberry jam... oooh baby.. that's the stuff!
  20. ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I don't have any abandon, and even if I did it wouldn't be gay. That bowl opened the microwave door itself and jumped out at me.
  21. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Annie's BBQ sauce?! Annie?! You have bbq sauce called Annie?! That's just not right. Get Ben to give you some of what I sent him.
  22. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I make my own cheese sauce. But I still need ketchup though ;)
  23. MomentOfTriumph Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    beans on toast, all youll ever need
  24. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Do you have to sleep on the couch after you eat that?
  25. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Only after Beef Bougignon, Beth.

He is RANK after that.

Although, we was ok last weekend...but it was probably diluted with all the wine and the other stuff he had.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.